Old 26-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Ecky Thump

Default Which standard?

Hi,

I am looking at putting some standards along our north facing front
fenceline in south east Melbourne. I am considering either standard
lily pilly or standard ficus. Anyone have any opions on the merits of
each, or suggestions of other standards? I read that ficus have
invasive roots, but how invasive? Lift up footpath invasive, or get
into cracks in pipes invasive?

Also, how do standards grow? Do they increase in height, or is the
height you buy them at effectively the height they will remain at?

Thanks.
Old 26-11-2003, 03:17 AM
len gardener

g'day ecky,

go for the lilly-pilly mate or probably other sorts like that, but for
my money leave the ficus out of your yard, even if kept trimmed the
roots system still gets as large as a full grown tree, they are very
invasive of house foundations, paths/driveways and sewerage systems.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening