Old 02-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Peter Jason

Default Naughty cats in gardens

The pussies are just fertilizing the garden for you free of charge, and
probably turning over the soil too.
The solution is to get your own cat(s) because these are very territorial
and will chase other kitties away.
Don't get dog though, these hideous creatures will destroy the garden.

"Zeppelin" wrote in message
u...
Does anyone know of a way to keep a neighbours cat out of the garden? Its
always digging holes and scratching around the plants.
I dont have a dog, so the simple solution is gone. Some one told me to put
pepper in the garden beds??
Anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Cristian Croitoru

In NZ we use to buy a spray containing something cats hate, used to be wuite
effective.
Did you ask your local garden center?

Cristian Croitoru

"Zeppelin" :

Old 03-12-2003, 06:02 AM
Wallaby

We have one of those "hideous creatures" a dog and it never goes onto the
gardens - its called training, something that some "hideous humans" are
incapable of doing. Having a dog deters ALL cats. So get a dog and train
it!

Old 03-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Bumblebee

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 05:45:27 GMT,"Wallaby" posted ...

We have one of those "hideous creatures" a dog and it never goes onto the
gardens - its called training, something that some "hideous humans" are
incapable of doing. Having a dog deters ALL cats. So get a dog and train
it!

Some people would love to have a dog but because they can't have a dog
shouldn't mean they *have* to be bothered by other peoples cats.

I've always had at least two trained hideous creatures [dogs] that enjoy
eating home grown tomatoes etc. and my neighbours used to laugh when I
spent two days putting protection around my tomatoes and other vegies,
though the neighbours were grateful when I handed over a few ripe
specimens.

My dogs have limited access to my front yard which does attract cats.
Where I live, our Council prohibits my dogs from wandering next door and
equally prohibits next doors cats or any cats wandering into my garden.

A neighbour without dogs has trapped around 20 cats in a 6 month period
all of which have been put to sleep by Council. I have trapped 5 in the
same period which were also put to sleep. Cats are an intruduced species
and if Mr or Mrs next door have a cat it should be confined and not
allowed to visit other peoples gardens.
--

Chris Bee

Old 04-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Bumblebee

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:10:32 +1100,"ax" posted ...

Bumblebee wrote:
My dogs have limited access to my front yard which does attract cats.
Where I live, our Council prohibits my dogs from wandering next door and
equally prohibits next doors cats or any cats wandering into my garden.

A neighbour without dogs has trapped around 20 cats in a 6 month period
all of which have been put to sleep by Council. I have trapped 5 in the
same period which were also put to sleep. Cats are an intruduced species
and if Mr or Mrs next door have a cat it should be confined and not
allowed to visit other peoples gardens.

what kind of traps do you use? Are you required to have a permit?

No permit is required here, but check with your own Council.
The traps are approx. 3' x 2' x 2' commonly known as "Possum Traps".
Cats are enticed to enter by food placed inside the traps, when the cat
enters and tries to remove the food the door closes behind them. Our
Council provide the traps and remove and put down any cats captured.
--

Chris Bee

Old 04-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Wanda

My mother claims she has tried everything. Trapping & spraying the cat
before letting it go out the front, putting barbed wire up around the fence
line, planting spiky plants around the areas where the cat digs it's toilet.
She was talking about spiking milk with panadol & leaving it out for the
cats (it makes them VERY sick before killing them) but I think she's gone
off that idea. I hope. If you come up with any solutions that work can you
please pass them on?

Old 04-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Adam

"Zeppelin" wrote in message . au...
Does anyone know of a way to keep a neighbours cat out of the garden? Its
always digging holes and scratching around the plants.
I dont have a dog, so the simple solution is gone. Some one told me to put
pepper in the garden beds??
Anyone have any ideas?

I've tried trapping them, using sprays etc but to no avail.
We caught a couple, but they just end up back with the same stupid
owner and therefore back in our yard, crapping everywhere.
My wife recently caught toxoplasmosis because they crap all over our
yard, so now we are just using aspirin and rat sack.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Adam

ax wrote in message ...
what kind of traps do you use? Are you required to have a permit?

snip

Contact your local council.
Cages are allowed everywhere I know of, without a permit. The council
will either loan you one or give you details of a licenced seller.
Be aware that councils only loan for a limited time and that the
number of cages available is very limited in most areas.