Old 02-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Snogoose

Default Sweet lemons

Looking for a sweet??? lemon with a loose skin. My husband was the
gardener, but as he has gone to the garden in the sky it is left to this
brown thumbed gardener. I live in SE Qld, frost free area.. Any
suggestions appreciated. Please reply to group as fake address to prevent
spam.
Thanks,
Sno

--
To plant a garden, is to believe in the future

Old 02-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Wanda

I'm not sure if it has a loose skin, but the lemonade lemons are sweet. They
Meyer lemons are also supposed to be sweet.

Meyer
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/49905/

Old 07-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Snogoose

John, That is exactly what I was looking for, the bush lemon type of fruit,
but I seem to be unable to buy a tree with fruit like the old bush lemons I
knew as a kid. I could peel and eat the fruit just like eating a mandarin,
as well as eating the thick skin. Beautiful. If you know where I can get a
tree like this I would be most appreciative. Thanks, Sno
"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"Snogoose" writes:
Looking for a sweet??? lemon with a loose skin. My husband was the
gardener, but as he has gone to the garden in the sky it is left to this
brown thumbed gardener. I live in SE Qld, frost free area.. Any
suggestions appreciated. Please reply to group as fake address to

prevent

A loose skin on a mandarin makes it easy for kids to peel, but I'm
puzzled why you would desire a loose skin on a lemon? I've never seen
such a thing on lemons, anyway.

The sweetest true lemon I've tasted has been a bush lemon. Their skin
is thick (lots of pith) and wrinkled, but definitely not loose. When
peeled the fruit was about half the size I'd started with, but I could
easily break it up into segments and eat the pieces without wincing.

Perhaps if you explain what attribute the loose skin will afford we
can be more helpful.

Old 13-12-2003, 11:45 PM
John Savage

"Snogoose" writes:
John, That is exactly what I was looking for, the bush lemon type of fruit,
but I seem to be unable to buy a tree with fruit like the old bush lemons I
knew as a kid. I could peel and eat the fruit just like eating a mandarin,
as well as eating the thick skin. Beautiful. If you know where I can get a
tree like this I would be most appreciative. Thanks, Sno

I like to nibble on the lemon skin, too -- not the yellow zest, just the
white pith. That's where the bioflavinoids are said to be, BTW, in the soft
white part of the skin in citrus.

I'd be surprised if anyone sells bush lemon seedlings. Perhaps you might
find one at weekend markets? That might be a place to ask, anyway. I grew
mine from seed. I like retelling the story: I bought a Meyer lemon from
the fish and chip shop and found that the seeds inside it had started to
sprout, so I planted a dozen of them and many grew. Five or six years
later I had a vigorous Meyer lemon and a bush lemon tree bearing fruit
the size of baseballs!

I think that the bush lemon is the rootstock of most commercial lemon
seedlings. So you could examine some and see whether there seems to be
enough of the root stock that you could prune off everything above the
graft and grow from the stock. Perhaps you'll find a damaged seedling
somewhere that has begun sprouting from below the graft -- buy it and
cut off at the graft and encourage growth from below the graft.

There might even be someone here who has a bush lemon they'd like to
give away. Seedlings that emerge in the compost heap will sometimes
turn out to be bush lemons. Good luck in your quest!