Old 07-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Norman

Default New Mulch

I have had some branches from a Blue Gum mulched. I know that its not good
to put this mulch onto the ground too early. Why is this? When can I put it
onto the garden and is there any special preparation needed before I put it
on the ground.

Thank

Norman

Old 07-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Wanda

Some people say it draws nitrogen out of the ground as it decomposes. Some
say it puts nitrogen into the ground as it decomposes. I've spoken with
people who use the stuff & feel their garden has never looked better. If you
can wait pile the mulch into a heap & let it sit for 6 months, if you can't
put some sheep poo on your garden beds first.

Old 07-12-2003, 08:43 PM
len gardener

g'day norman,

i've used lots of chipped tree mulch eucalyptus or not matters not,
use it directly onto the gardens i usualy put it about 6 to 8"s thick
as it breaks down to almost nothing otherwise. you should end up with
a nice dark humus material that the worms will love i topped mine up
each year or when the tree lopper was near by. leave a gap around the
base of plants a bit more of a gap around smaller ones.

i think when it is dug into the ground nitrogen take up occurs as it
decomoses underground but it does give all this back when
decomposition is complete, least wise i have never dug it in always
used it on top and never had any plant suffer from nitrogen loss due
to the decomposing mulch.

go to it

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 08-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

"Wanda" writes:

Some people say it draws nitrogen out of the ground as it
decomposes. Some say it puts nitrogen into the ground as it
decomposes. I've spoken with people who use the stuff & feel their
garden has never looked better. If you can wait pile the mulch into
a heap & let it sit for 6 months, if you can't put some sheep poo on
your garden beds first.

It's a surface area thing. Placed on top of the soil it will drag
minimal nitrogen from the soil. Dug in and it will suck all the
available nitrogen out until it's fully decomposed.

Urinating on sawdust is a good way to make soil.

--
Take my first and surname to email me and replace the abuse.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:32 PM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Norman

The first organisms to show up are those that attack the defenseless
contents of the parenchyma cells.

In short, fresh chips attracts undesirables that can and do do nasty things
to trees above and below ground

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!