Old 09-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Toby

Default Harvesting worms from compost.......

I have two big compost bins to which I added some worms; they did a
great job but now I want to separate the worms from the cast material
and compost in the bins so that I can start again. Any ideas how this
can be done? No, I don't want to pick them out by hand!

Toby

Old 09-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Linda

With mine (four large half corrugated iron tanks), they are mostly
working in the surface layer. I just take it off the top and put that
in the bottom of the next one I am starting.

If you want really concentrated worms, spread the top on a tarpaulin
and just keep taking a little off the top at a time, in daylight
(maybe not full sun) and they will keep burrowing down to get into the
dark. If you work it into a little depression at the bottom - bingo -
worm concentrate.

That is assuming they are composting worms (not earthworms).
Composting worms = top layer . Earth worms = all through.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Sandra

Hi Tony,

I bought my worms from an old guy who told me to put something delicious on
the top of the pile in one spot, leave it for a couple of hours then scoop
en masse. Delicious = watermelon, soft tomato. A Gardening Australia book on
composting suggested protein eg break an egg or two on top and let them eat
it.

Sandra

Old 13-01-2004, 04:42 AM

If you don't have a 'layer' system going on with your worm bin its a bit of
a pain to remove the castings from.

You have to do it by 'hand', which you said you dont want to do. If you do
decide to do it by hand pull the castings out and make little pyramid piles
and shine a torch on the pile. The worms will head to the bottom of the pile
and you scrap off the top of the pyramid. Otherwise buy yourself or make a
bin that allows for a 'layer' system to occurr. ie bottom layer which you
can remove 'fallen castings' under the bottom layer holes to collect the
worm juice (This in reality is the best product your worms will produce, it
is liquid fertaliser you cant OVERFEED your plants on) and the top layer for
the vegetable matter. I have seen several designs that work like this the
best was 3 plastic bins that sit on top of one another and you 'rotate'
them. There was a tap at the bottom where the worm juice dripped out from.

I had my partner make me a box on legs with holes in the bottom to collect
the juice. I keep a tray under the box to collect the juice and their is a
flap at the bottom of the box. When I can no longer see 'vegetable matter'
through the flap i scoop out the castings and transfer them to my potting
mix or the garden.

here is a good site for worm info. He has the worm bins design I am trying
to explain also, so go check it out
http://www.squirmy-worms.com/index.html

Old 28-01-2004, 05:35 AM
Raels

"Sandra" swatkins@internode wrote in message
Hi Tony,

I bought my worms from an old guy who told me to put something delicious

on
the top of the pile in one spot, leave it for a couple of hours then scoop
en masse. Delicious = watermelon, soft tomato. A Gardening Australia book

on
composting suggested protein eg break an egg or two on top and let them

eat it.

LUcky you....... my worm farm's a shadow of it's former self. I was told
that the kits you buy don't come with enough worms. Anyway......

take the lid off, the worms will scoot to the bottom then you pick off the
top layer.

Don't know how your system's set up so I don't know how you'll get your worm
wee.

Raelene
ccc