Old 12-12-2003, 04:32 AM
Philip Monmouth

Default live rat traps

I have an infestation of rats in my Sydney vegetable garden. I have
piets so don't want to use bait or snap traps.

Have been told there are live rat traps available (when captured you
drown them or release them on your neighbour's property).

Tried Bunnings Hardware, but they had not heard of them.

Where can I buy live rat traps?
Old 12-12-2003, 07:02 AM
len gardener

g'day philip,

wouldn't suggest you release them into your neighbours yard you will
most likely never get rid of them that way, once caught drown them and
use them as fertiliser in the garden.

can't say for sure but reckon you may not go too far wrong if you
check your yellow pages phone book under traps/ animal traps or cat
traps, the people who make these most probably make the rat traps as
well. also you may find plans on line to make your own, shouldn't be
too difficult.

or a well trained fox terrier will soon put paid to them as well.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 12-12-2003, 09:32 AM
A Dizzy Blonde

even a badly trained jack russell will sort out the problems! (mother had
one which did a sterling job of rodent dispatch)

Old 13-12-2003, 06:32 AM
A Little Bit

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:27:40 +1100, Philip Monmouth
wrote:

I have an infestation of rats in my Sydney vegetable garden. I have
piets so don't want to use bait or snap traps.

Have been told there are live rat traps available (when captured you
drown them or release them on your neighbour's property).

Tried Bunnings Hardware, but they had not heard of them.

Where can I buy live rat traps?

At a pet shop. They go MEEOOWWWW.

Old 13-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Bumblebee

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:27:40 +1100,"Philip Monmouth" posted ...

http://www.webwombat.com.au/aus?ix=rat+traps&t=
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
--
Chris Bee

Old 13-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Philip Monmouth

Thanks for various suggestions.

For a choice of types for sale:
http://home.primus.com.au/panorama/

Plans for a homemade version are at:
http://journeytoforever.org/at_rattrap2.html

Old 11-01-2004, 04:13 AM
Sandra

Try someone's Jack Russell dog. They are bred for that purpose and even the
woosiest of them is a quick efficient killer. They dispatch the rodents very
fast and don't play with them afterwards. The smell of a dog around might
encourage others to move on. they will even dig for hidden opnes, or you can
pour water down the holes and let the Jack wait at the top.

Sandra

Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 PM
John Savage

"Philip Monmouth" wrote in message
.. .
I have an infestation of rats in my Sydney vegetable garden. I have
piets so don't want to use bait or snap traps.

There is a bait you could make up for the rats that won't make them
poisonous. A mixture of flour and plaster of Paris powder. Put in a
dry place out of reach of your pets. Perhaps a bit of grated chocolate
or pumpkin seed might add to its attraction without setting the plaster.

I've seen US posters speak of rat traps which use a sticky glue--when
the rodent walks in it its foot sticks. I don't know whether the glue
is on sale in Oz. You could put it inside a pipe, out of reach of pets,
with some pumpkin seeds.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:40 AM
len gardener

you can generally get the glue traps from pest control agents, i've
used them they seem quiet effective the rodent can ever escape the
glue. they will also supply rat baits that once the rodent eats them
they go elsewhere and die.

len

snipped