Old 13-12-2003, 07:07 AM
David

Default Relocating a large Callistemon

Hi group,
We have a well established ( 9yrs) Callistemon Hannah Ray, approx 4m
high in our backyard (Western Sydney). Its in great condition, but in the
wrong place, preventing us from moving a fence & putting in a driveway. I
would like to move the tree approx 1.5m from where it is currently located.
We would really like to try and save this tree if possible.
Has anyone had any experiences / luck / advice moving such a large tree
? is it possible, or would we just kill the tree in the process.

Old 13-12-2003, 05:36 PM
sofarwestitsnotfunnyanymore

"David" wrote in message
Hi group,
We have a well established ( 9yrs) Callistemon Hannah Ray, approx 4m
high in our backyard (Western Sydney). Its in great condition, but in the
wrong place, preventing us from moving a fence & putting in a driveway. I
would like to move the tree approx 1.5m from where it is currently

located.
We would really like to try and save this tree if possible.
Has anyone had any experiences / luck / advice moving such a large

tree
? is it possible, or would we just kill the tree in the process.

David,

You will have no problems moving a Callistemon so long as you prune it very
hard and take as much of the root ball as possible, but since they grow so
quickly why bother?. They are cheap to buy and grow fast, I would thank
they one you have for it's good service, send it to God then buy yourself a
new one

But if you choose to keep the one you have:
If you have a few months lead time give the plant a good prune then use a
spade and cut full depth into the ground halfway around the plant about 40
cm's from the trunk, water well and repeat a month or so later on the other
half of the plant, this will cause it to produce new fine roots near the
trunk. About a month later you can give it a hard prune and dig it up,
replant and keep wet for a few weeks - it should be fine (best done in
winter though)

Alternatively if time is short, prune it back to the main trunk, take almost
all of the branches and leaves off ( be brutal as you are going to chop
almost all of its roots off (it's a great big cutting really) then move it
to the new position and keep moist for several weeks. It will reshoot in a
few weeks and look fantastic a season later.

They grow easily by cutting this time of year also - just another thought.

Best of luck
Col

Old 14-12-2003, 04:03 AM
A Little Bit

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 05:55:38 GMT, "David" wrote:

Hi group,
We have a well established ( 9yrs) Callistemon Hannah Ray, approx 4m
high in our backyard (Western Sydney). Its in great condition, but in the
wrong place, preventing us from moving a fence & putting in a driveway. I
would like to move the tree approx 1.5m from where it is currently located.
We would really like to try and save this tree if possible.
Has anyone had any experiences / luck / advice moving such a large tree
? is it possible, or would we just kill the tree in the process.

Native plants tend to not like being moved. It can be done with heavy
equipment, but that would cost a lot of money.

Better to chop it down and plant a new one.

Old 17-12-2003, 04:33 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"sofarwestitsnotfunnyanymore" wrote:

You will have no problems moving a Callistemon so long as you prune it very
hard and take as much of the root ball as possible, but since they grow so
quickly why bother?. They are cheap to buy and grow fast, I would thank
they one you have for it's good service, send it to God then buy yourself a
new one

And Hannah Ray is widely available too.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc