Old 17-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Alex

Default Where to get a Cold Frame

I wonder if anyone knows of a company selling cold frames (the small
domestic kind) in or near Melbourne?

Thanks in anticipation

-Alex

Old 19-12-2003, 03:42 AM
Dwayne

Alex, I am not sure what you mean when you say Cold Frame. What is it used
for and how big is it. I built a "hot bed" on the south side of my house
for starting plants in the spring time. I used wood for the front and both
ends, and the house for the back. Then I tool an old glass/aluminum shower
door with hinges, and laid it on the top. It was sloped so water would run
off, and I can raise the shower door an inch or all the way if it is going
to be hot. Worked well this year (I am in the U.S.). Hope this helped.

Good luck. Dwayne
u...

Old 19-12-2003, 05:12 AM
bobzed

Alex

I made a cold frame to get a head start on spring here in Canberra. The
design is much the same as that in Dwayne's response however, in OZ face
north to take advantage of the sun. I got an old timber window and made a
frame about 600mm high at the rear sloping down to about 550mm at the front.
The height can be altered to suit the type/size of plants you intend to
grow. Of course the higher you make it, the darker it is at the bottom and
less effective your cold frame. The outside dimensions of the frame were
made to suit the window. I clad the frame in fibro sheeting and hinged the
window for ease of access. I also painted the inside of the glass with
white shoe cleaner to reduce the sunlight and as the weather got warmer, I
covered the lot with shade cloth. Great way to start the seedlings off.

I did make a Rolls Royce one a few years ago that had a laminex base in
which I inserted an old electric blanket element (love them earth leakage
devices). A layer of sand over the laminex and I was able to maintain the
base temperature at about 20 degrees C. Worked brilliantly all year round.
Before the electro-nazis get excited, this frame was for indoor use only.

Cheers

Bob Z

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Alex, I am not sure what you mean when you say Cold Frame. What is it

used
for and how big is it. I built a "hot bed" on the south side of my house
for starting plants in the spring time. I used wood for the front and

both
ends, and the house for the back. Then I tool an old glass/aluminum

shower
door with hinges, and laid it on the top. It was sloped so water would

run
off, and I can raise the shower door an inch or all the way if it is going
to be hot. Worked well this year (I am in the U.S.). Hope this helped.

Good luck. Dwayne
u...

Old 21-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Alex

Hey thanks guys for your advice. Yeah that is the kind of thing I meant.
You can buy them as kits in the US, with polycarbonate walls, which
would eliminate the problem of height restrictions. But the trouble/cost
of getting one from that side of the world doesn't seem justified if I
can put something together as you guys suggested. Dunno about the
electrics yet though...

Cheers - Alex

"Dwayne" wrote in message

Alex, I am not sure what you mean when you say Cold Frame. What is it

used

for and how big is it. I built a "hot bed" on the south side of my house
for starting plants in the spring time. I used wood for the front and

both

ends, and the house for the back. Then I tool an old glass/aluminum

shower

door with hinges, and laid it on the top. It was sloped so water would

run

off, and I can raise the shower door an inch or all the way if it is going
to be hot. Worked well this year (I am in the U.S.). Hope this helped.

Good luck. Dwayne
.au...

Old 21-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Alex

Dwayne,

This is the kind of structure I was thinking of - in fact this is the
model I have seen recommended - apparently it's been around a long time,
but maybe only familiar to cold-weather gardeners.

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?...ew&Words=jwscf

You can also buy an arm that opens and closes the box lid depending on
the temperature (using a piston with a cylinder full of something that
expands considerably when it heats up)

Regards,
-Alex

Dwayne wrote:

Alex, I am not sure what you mean when you say Cold Frame. What is it used
for and how big is it. I built a "hot bed" on the south side of my house
for starting plants in the spring time. I used wood for the front and both
ends, and the house for the back. Then I tool an old glass/aluminum shower
door with hinges, and laid it on the top. It was sloped so water would run
off, and I can raise the shower door an inch or all the way if it is going
to be hot. Worked well this year (I am in the U.S.). Hope this helped.

Good luck. Dwayne
u...

Old 21-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Dwayne

Hi. I apologize to everyone, I forgot to tell you I am in the U.S. and here
the sun shines on the south side of the house. When we moved into this
house a little over two years ago, I couldnt afford to invest a lot of money
into a really nice hot house. Maybe someday that will change.

Dwayne

u...

Dwayne wrote:

Alex, I am not sure what you mean when you say Cold Frame. What is it

used
for and how big is it. I built a "hot bed" on the south side of my

house
for starting plants in the spring time. I used wood for the front and

both
ends, and the house for the back. Then I tool an old glass/aluminum

shower
door with hinges, and laid it on the top. It was sloped so water would

run
off, and I can raise the shower door an inch or all the way if it is

going
to be hot. Worked well this year (I am in the U.S.). Hope this helped.

Good luck. Dwayne
u...