Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Leanne

Default Hi!

Hi!

I've always been interested in gardening, especially when water features are
involved.

I've finally got the time to make something in the garden i really want. I
was wondering whether any of you had a guide to building garden waterfalls,
or if you have done them yourself, how did you do it?

TIA

Leanne.

Old 18-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Rod Out back

"Leanne" wrote in message
Hi!

I've always been interested in gardening, especially when water features

are
involved.

I've finally got the time to make something in the garden i really want. I
was wondering whether any of you had a guide to building garden

waterfalls,
or if you have done them yourself, how did you do it?

TIA

Leanne.

I have been thinking about the same thing. I have long thought about making
a water feature monstrosity, and making it attractive to the local frog
bothers, so they might like to vacate the toilet....Negotiations have been
underway for some years now, but they remain the tenants from hell....

I have the ability to move large rocks(Backhoe & Hi-ab truck crane), as well
as cut them to approximate shape, but am interested in a water\light
feature that works on solar power. The light is for attracting insects for
the frog brothers, and so make it a bit of a must-visit place. If I can
make a few little nooks & crannies for them to sleep away the day hours, I
might just get them to move. Fingers crossed, anyway.

What I envisage is a feature that operates during the day, but continues for
a number of hours each evening. For this, I will require power storage, as
well as a daylight sensor for the lights. The lights I have in mind are a
few of the high intensity white LED lights that are used on heavy vehicles &
trailers etc(white clearance lights are around $20-$25 each). They draw
very low current(0.5Watt?), handle a range of voltage (8-36V DC)and a few of
them should be well bright enough to attract passing moths, etc.

My questions to you a

Any better or worse solar pumps to circulate water on a largeish water
feature? Are there different voltage models, or are all the solar ones
12Volt? I would estimate I will have between 400-600 litres in the whole
setup. I expect the pile of rocks to be 2 metres high, with a pond at the
bottom. Pools of water overflowing down eventually into the large pond at
the bottom. Water will be topped up via a float valve. I envisage the panel
to run this would be in the order of 5 amps of peak power(approx $560 for
the panel), so there should be heaps of power for the pump during sunlight
hours.

Any obvious problems with this sort of idea?

Is it wise to lay poly sheeting below the whole feature, to reduce ground
soakage? Does this cause other issues in doing so?? I did wonder if I
mightnt be better starting with half-burying one of those large round poly
troughs, as they can be easily drained, and have a defined wall that might
keep some undesirables out(I'm thinking of the possibility of cane toads in
the future). Mind you, that would then require something to hide the poly
side walls, but this mightnt be too large a hurdle to address.

Would sand be a good bottom for such a feature? I would be filtering the
input to the pump, but wondered if sand was the best media. What about
pebbles? I have both sand and pebbles in quantity.

I will need a regulator to handle charging the battery and the feed to the
solar pump, but I am wondering if I am better off running the pump directly
from the solar panel or through the battery. Running it direct from the
panel would be more simple, but running it via the battery might give some
options to run the pump for an hour or so after dark. This might keep a
rocks a little cooler in the summer months.

Are there daylight sensors that would turn one circuit off (solar pump), at
the same time as turning another on (lights)?

Should I also include a time switch on the lights, to ensure the battery
doesnt get completely discharged every night? If so, has anyone seen one for
12-36 volt DC systems? I am not competent at building my own electronics,
but can wire simple gear in myself.

And finally; any good negotiation techniques for the frog brothers? At this
stage they are holding both loos hostage, and we are getting
desparate........Very, Very Desperate! Talks with Toiletto Frogoli (our rare
bum-patting Green Tree frog) have failed a number of times, and my last
effort to explain my grand plan was met with a cold eyed boggle, before he
slid under the rim.....When I wandered past 10 minutes later, the whole loo
started croaking, so I expect I was being told what I could do with my grand
vision.

Sigh......Dont you just love wildlife....

Ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back

Old 19-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Andrew G

"Leanne" wrote in message
Hi!

I've always been interested in gardening, especially when water features

are
involved.

I've finally got the time to make something in the garden i really want. I
was wondering whether any of you had a guide to building garden

waterfalls,
or if you have done them yourself, how did you do it?

I have made a couple myself, and a few with others.
Really it is hard to sary without an idea of what you want.
You can go totally natural looking, making the whole lot with bush rocks, or
go the typical fibreglass ponds with small pockets for the waterfall.
The best I ever made was a waterfall that ran down into a "creek bed" along
side a footpath to a front door. I made it all with bushrock, the creek bed
was plastic liner with rock on top of it, finally leading to a large tub
buried in the ground that was hidden by mesh and bush rock. The tub held the
pump which returned the water back to the waterfall.
My only advice is to have lots of bushrock to choose from if you go with
that. Fit them together as best as possible to minimise the mortar between
them, and try avoid big bulging mortat joints, something that I have noticed
some people do deliberately.
Pick your pump according to the height and length the water has to be pumped
(a place that sells pumps should help you) and if you do decide on a pond
the easiest is pre-moulded, then there is very little chance of cracking and
leaking.
Good luck

TIA

Leanne.

Old 20-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Leanne

Thanks andrew, sounds wonderful!

We have lots of bush rocks, I live in Alice Springs I was going for a
more natural look because the area i want it is sort of tropical with ferns
and stuff, and a spa about 8 meters away.

I'd rather make the waterfall myself, but the catchment or pond area I'd
like to buy pre-made. I've read that its good to leave a 'pocket' from where
the last rock goes into the pond because it makes a better sound... is this
true?

Thanks
Leanne

Old 20-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Terry Collins

I have made a couple myself, and a few with others.
Really it is hard to sary without an idea of what you want.
You can go totally natural looking, making the whole lot with bush rocks, or
go the typical fibreglass ponds with small pockets for the waterfall.

If you are going to build something up, then pack your earth to the
shape, retaining walls, etc.

Plastic liner under the rocks is a good trick because that is what stops
your water leaking away. apart from a large water bill, leaking water
also saturates the soil and causes eveything to sump.

Your bottom pool/sump pool has to be big enough to hold all the water
when the power goes off and it all runs down.

If you go fibreglass/pebble coated stuff, buy individual pools, lips,
water falls, rather than a fixed thing. I made the mistake of buying a
fixed three tier thing and it was a pain to get levels correct.

For this, I had concrete block base (undisturbed soil at ground level)
and risers of 100mm sewerage pipe filled with concrete capped/packed
with concrete slabs, fibro or slate (all unseen) and, that was
surrounded by soil backfill into genuine railway sleeper retaining walls
on 3 sides. The back fill settles each year and I just top it up all the
time.

As said before, you need lots of rocks to play around with and get the
right feel. Ideally they should all be the same. Although, mine now has
conglomerate around the top pool, sandstone around the 2nd and third,
then large rounded river rock around the sump/(old bathtub) and it goes
together okay.

As said before; mortar, you want as little as possible because it
doesn't hold long term (different thremal expansion rates). As best, you
are making a holding cradle to stop round rocks moving.

I still have to solve the problem of colour filtering as we have a
number of large gums dropping lots of leaves into the water. I am
considering a large plastic barrell with straw packing for this.

Old 20-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Mekon

"Leanne" wrote in message
Hi!

I've always been interested in gardening, especially when water features

are
involved.

I've finally got the time to make something in the garden i really want. I
was wondering whether any of you had a guide to building garden

waterfalls,
or if you have done them yourself, how did you do it?

TIA

Leanne.

I have three in my yard atm. I got a DE filter from an old decommissioned
swimming pool and filtered the water with that pumping from the bottom to
the top pond, If you go for this solution (two ponds separated by a creek),
make the bottom pond a little deeper and quite a bit wider to accommodate
the water being pumped into the filter and pipes. Obviously any water level
control devices should be on the bottom. Mine is two cement ponds lined with
rocks. To make the rocks more natural looking, once the mortar is in place I
gently pressed soil onto the exposed mortar, to camouflage the joins, this
can be brushed off or left for rain to deal with. The flow of water down the
creek/waterfall has to be examined carefully, any splashes that extend past
the sides of the creek will reduce the water level quicker than you think.
As for the plants I used miniature papyrus as well as lily pads and a grass
like plant that I can't remember the name of .When you select the plants
watch out for a whispy green underwater plant clinging to the roots. I have
found that this is very hard to be rid of once introduced and increases the
maintenance time substantially.
Frogs came without any lights along with green tree snakes. The biggest
problem has been the large birds that take the fish, once they learn where
there is a local fast food takeaway, they make short work of the goldfish. I
have even replaced the fish with black comets in the hope that their colour
will camouflage them and make them harder for the birds to see, So far only
one has survived out of dozens. The black also makes it hard for me to see
them which kinda defeats the purpose.

The other pond is in a more formal paved area and matches the pool. To
aerate the water I placed a plinth in the middle of the pond upon which
rests a tall (1 meter) pottery vase. I pumped water into the vase and had it
run down the sides to create a shimmering effect, This is the last in a
long line of vases which either exploded or cracked. The violence of the
event was directly proportional to how many elderly women are sitting on the
edge. If there was several, it was like an aquatic Vesuvious, showering
them with pond water and bits of pot. If no one is in sight a small crack
will appear. This problem was solved by boring a hole into the base and
painting the hole and the base inside and out to just above the waterline
with a black waterproofing compound.I then introduced the plastic pipe from
the pump through the hole and out the top of the vase. Then I filled the
vase with styrofoam chuncks from various packing boxes. At the top I poured
cement to just below the rim taking care to ensure the pipe is exactly
vertical and extending past the rim. Once the cement had dried I painted the
inside of the rim with water proofing compound and trimmed off the pipe
flush with the top of the cement. this has lasted now for 2 years and
appears to be safe for elderly ladies to be near.

Mekon

Old 22-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Andrew G

"Leanne" wrote in message

Thanks andrew, sounds wonderful!

We have lots of bush rocks, I live in Alice Springs I was going for a
more natural look because the area i want it is sort of tropical with

ferns
and stuff, and a spa about 8 meters away.

I'd rather make the waterfall myself, but the catchment or pond area I'd
like to buy pre-made. I've read that its good to leave a 'pocket' from

where
the last rock goes into the pond because it makes a better sound... is

this
true?

It really is all a matter of testing, and the rocks you have.
One I helped make at work use poly pipe with holes drilled in it and hidden.
This gave the appearence of water flowing under a path. At first we had a
few comments from golfers suggesting a burst pipe. We cut the pressure a
little to a gentle flow, now getting great comments. This I might add, was
damn water getting re-circulated.
Try testing the hole thing before you set it. A good variety of rocks,
including flatter ones for "platforms" work well.
IMO a good flow without major splashing if it's going into a pond is good to
circulate the water, or should I say aerate it.
A pre made pond is a good idea, and can be blended in well.
If it's possible try get to a creek bed where there is a slight drop in
levels and have a look at the different types of rock there.
I really like the idea of the fern tropical area. What I am going to create
in the new year
Good luck

Thanks
Leanne

Old 22-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Arpit

aaah, at last somethinng in gardening i have a bit of knowledge in
in regards to he electrics, your not gonna be able to get sufficient
power from a solar system. plus, it'd be cheaper to use a mains
operated sustem. Itd take 10+ years for a suitable solar system to pay
for itself, and then not even really coz youd have to replace
thebatteries every 2 years.go mains power. as for lights, those'd do
quite nicely if your interested i can give you more details about
what i said above in regards to a solar system, and help you come up
with a simple alternative (waterproof of course) to truck led lights

Old 22-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Rod Out back

Arpit,

Cost of the solar setup isnt really something I am too concerned
about(within reason). I am more interested in not using mains power than
comparing the cost of the setup to a mains based setup.
You dont think 5 amps is enough power for the pump? What about 10 amps? The
reason I query this is the solar pump we are installing tomorrow has about 8
of these solar panels, and pumps 6000 gallons of water to a 90 foot head
over some kilomentres! It just seemed to me that a single panel would have
sufficient grunt to lift enough water to keep overflowing a series of rock
pools 2 metres high.

Mind you; I havent done this sort of project before, so you may well be
right...

I am interested in the alternative to truck LED's, if you have some details.
These ones are water-resistant, and are simply attractive because they have
such a wide range of voltage tolerance, and very low power drain(and I
already have some that I ordered the white ones by mistake). Alternatives
gratefully welcomed.

No advice on the frog part, hey?????

Cheers,

Rod.

rodney downs at bigpond dot com; with no spaces in it

Old 25-12-2003, 03:02 AM
Arpit

Aah ok, i thought cost would be the major factor here. If you can get
big solar panels like that, you'll be fine. What voltage are they? YOu
said it was going to be a monstrosity. I take it something like
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/P8907
would't pump enough at only 3 litres a minute? say you get a pump
which draws 5 amps. It'll draw this 5 amps all night and all day.
Thus, to recharge your storage system in the day time, you need an
extra 5 amps, say 6 amps to make up for innefficiencies in the
regulator. But the solar panels rated at 72 watts ( 6 amps x 12
volts)- and we are talking EXPENSIVE here, won't be able to provide
that much power except for a few hours in the day time in mid
afternoon. SO you'd really want to get 140 watts of 12 voltt solar
panels. Even more if you dont want strange things to happen when its
cloudy. As for the batteries, i'd say marine deep cycle lead acid
batteries would be the best solution. Standard car batteries or sealed
batteries arent designed to be discharged deeply. Say ( for winter)
you want to power the pump through the storage for 14 hours. You'd
need to get a 70 amp hour battery, or maybe 10 7 amp hour batteries
inparallel. But thats a bare minimum. These batteries will get damaged
if you let them get discharged fully. I'd reccomend about 100 amp
hours so it will still operate on cloudy days.
I suggested alternatives to the truck lights because i thought you
might think about using mains power or that money was a big issue, but
i think if money isnt an issue, truck lights would probably look the
best.

SO heres our parts list:

140 watts of 12 volt solar panels
100 amp hours of 12 vvolt deep cycle/marine batteries
pump
truck lights
circuit to cut the batteries out if they drop below a certain voltage
level - battery protector, often used in 4wds which have fridges etc.
and a switch so you can turn it off in the rain.

If you dont want to use mains power because you want to do this as a
diy project, i ssstrongly urge you to consider digging a trench (
narrow, about10 cmwide, 1 meter deep or so, from the house to the
waterfall, and letting an electrician wire it up for you, should only
take him/her an hour or 2. you'll have to pay for the wire and
conduit, and you'll have to use a 240 volt pump- electrician will wire
that for you- but youu'll be able to use a much bigger pump. YOu'll
need an outdoor garden lighting transformer as well for the lights,
and thats it ! no batteries, no solar panels, no messing with
regulators and circuits

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:37:52 GMT, "Rod Out back"
wrote:

[...]

.. .