Old 23-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Linda

Default Plant ID needed

I wonder if some kind soul out there can help me, please???

I am looking for an ID on

http://kapana.customer.netspace.net.au/Plant.html

which I am told is a native.

Thanks

Linda

Old 24-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Wallaby

Linda, Trish Brown is dead right with her ID. It is a noxious weed, bloody
horrible import! get rid of it, too ugly to be a native of Oz IMHO.

Old 27-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Linda wrote:

I wonder if some kind soul out there can help me, please???
I am looking for an ID on
http://kapana.customer.netspace.net.au/Plant.html
which I am told is a native.

Definitely Ochna, as you have been told. Funny, someone tried to sell my Mum
some Asparagus Fern, telling her it was a native (they probably dug it up in
remnant bushland). Both are nasty weeds, declared noxious in some places, and
both are so remarkably ugly you wonder why anyone would want them.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old 07-01-2004, 12:24 AM
John Savage

"Wallaby" writes:
Linda, Trish Brown is dead right with her ID. It is a noxious weed, bloody
horrible import! get rid of it, too ugly to be a native of Oz IMHO.

The one good thing about okna is that it is extremely susceptible to the
Zero and Roundup weedicides, especially when still a seedling. One spray
wetting all the leaves and the okna is kaput within a week or two. Just as
with the asthma weed, spraying okna gives very satisfying results!

(I'm offline so haven't actually examined the cited photo, however.)