Old 12-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Wanda Too

Default Tree or Shrub

Thinking of planting a deciduous small tree or large shrub as a sun break
for my pergola. The plant would ideally grow to a height of 2-3m with a
similar spread. I'm heading towards a burgundy/green themed garden, so
foliage containing these colours would be good. I was thinking maybe a
flowering plum..

Old 12-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Trish Brown

Wanda Too wrote:

Thinking of planting a deciduous small tree or large shrub as a sun break
for my pergola. The plant would ideally grow to a height of 2-3m with a
similar spread. I'm heading towards a burgundy/green themed garden, so
foliage containing these colours would be good. I was thinking maybe a
flowering plum..

I saw a gorgeous burgundy-flowered crepe myrtle the other day. Maybe something
along those lines? Or were you especially interested in a native???

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 12-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Wanda Too

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
Wanda Too wrote:

Thinking of planting a deciduous small tree or large shrub as a sun

break
for my pergola. The plant would ideally grow to a height of 2-3m with a
similar spread. I'm heading towards a burgundy/green themed garden, so
foliage containing these colours would be good. I was thinking maybe a
flowering plum..

I saw a gorgeous burgundy-flowered crepe myrtle the other day. Maybe

something
along those lines? Or were you especially interested in a native???

Not particularly, although something hardy that doesn't need a lot of water
would be good.

Old 13-01-2004, 12:11 AM
whiteMemphis

"Wanda Too" wrote in message
Thinking of planting a deciduous small tree or large shrub as a sun break
for my pergola. The plant would ideally grow to a height of 2-3m with a
similar spread. I'm heading towards a burgundy/green themed garden, so
foliage containing these colours would be good. I was thinking maybe a
flowering plum..

just something to bear in mind- in autumn all the leaves of a
deciduous tree will be shed all over your pergola floor, you don't mention
whether the pergola has a roof or not, so you'll have to be doing a lot of
sweeping up of leaves, the upside is of course that in winter the tree/shrub
will be bare & you'll have the max,.winter light & sun.

Old 30-01-2004, 07:37 AM
China

G'day Wanda,
You don't really give us a lot of info to go on, but how about a Jap Maple
that is easy to shape and control. There are many choices available with
varying shades of leaf colour.

p.s. Do you eat fish?

--
China
Wingham

Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 PM
John Savage

"whiteMemphis" writes:
just something to bear in mind- in autumn all the leaves of a
deciduous tree will be shed all over your pergola floor, you don't mention
whether the pergola has a roof or not, so you'll have to be doing a lot of
sweeping up of leaves, the upside is of course that in winter the tree/shrub
will be bare & you'll have the max,.winter light & sun.

I know that a flowering peach forms hundreds of small peaches that fall
and rot, so I'm wondering whether a flowering plum will likewise rain
lots of immature fruit as litter, too, in addition to the autumn leaf
fall?

lemon tree/shrub James Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
lemon tree/shrub James Texas 0 11-03-2003 10:51 PM
Can anyone identify this shrub/tree? Cypress-like leaves, yellow daisy flowers. Cynthia Snowden United Kingdom 2 05-03-2003 03:11 PM
What is this tree/shrub? Peter United Kingdom 5 05-12-2002 04:45 PM
Tree/shrub to fill gap? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 04-11-2002 02:14 AM