Old 20-01-2004, 03:35 AM
Fitz-Gerald Mob

Default Something's eating my potato plants

I imagine this is simple, but.....the leaves of some of my potato plants
are being eaten by something. I can't see any caterpillars or other
beasties but something is doing it. Any suggestions?

Old 20-01-2004, 05:09 AM
Dwayne

Spray them with something or powder them with a dust for bugs. I would
imagine it is grasshoppers, worms, or potato bugs (although potato bugs are
easy to see).

Dwayne

Old 22-01-2004, 02:39 AM
cole

Haha I can imagine this thread:

Something is eating my pumpkins. What are they?

Oh that will be pumpkin bugs.

Or:

Something is eating my rose flowers. What are they?

Oh, those are rose flowers bugs!

Sorry (-:

Old 22-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Terry Collins

Fitz-Gerald Mob wrote:

I imagine this is simple, but.....the leaves of some of my potato plants
are being eaten by something. I can't see any caterpillars or other
beasties but something is doing it. Any suggestions?

All the advice I've read says not to worry about it and that is what we
do, except that we squash the snails.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:34 AM
John Savage

Terry Collins writes:
Fitz-Gerald Mob wrote:

I imagine this is simple, but.....the leaves of some of my potato plants
are being eaten by something. I can't see any caterpillars or other
beasties but something is doing it. Any suggestions?

All the advice I've read says not to worry about it and that is what we
do, except that we squash the snails.

Snails could be the problem, and they can usually be seen at night and
they leave distinctive silver trails over the leaves. Another pest that
devours potato leaves is a species of ladybird. These scrape the green
off the surface, turning portions of the leaf into a thin mosaic like
transparent mosquito net. You'll know whether the culprit is this lady
bird because they are numerous and present during the day right at the
sites of the damage. Pick them off and squash them, they are not the
'good' species of ladybirds that you should encourage.