Old 20-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Perri Campbell

Default Bees

Just notice in the last few weeks that there are no bees in the garden. I
thought maybe its to hot for them at the moment (Perth), but today was
milder and not one bee insight. Can anyone enlighten me?
pez

Old 22-01-2004, 08:02 AM

Maybe the beekeeper who was in, say, a 10k radius (though probably less) to
your suburban house has moved his hive to more 'greener' pastures.

I grow a lot of vegetables in my garden and I like the bees to come around
as much as possible. Plant some really good bee attracting plants and they
may come back. Borage is my favorite, it self seeds everywhere, amonst all
the vegetables, you can pull it out easily if you don't want it and the
bees love it. But there are plenty of other plants bees love. Salvia's are
also quite good, they are also very drought tolerant. Hyssop is also good.
Red clover etc. Do a google on bee attracting plants. Im sure you will find
some information.

Old 22-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Linda

Just as water is left out for birds, bees need it too. But they have
to soak it up. Fabric leading out of a bird bath, or a wettex floating
in it is ideal. Give it a try and see if it attracts any back.

Cheers

Linda

Old 22-01-2004, 07:29 PM
len gardener

g'day perri,

if not having bees could be impacting on your gardens production then
maybe you could consider buying your own hive of aussie native bees,
they are stingless so are great where kids are concerned, and they are
good pollinators.

len

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:07:36 +0800, "Perri Campbell" snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

Old 22-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Ivan McDonagh

len gardener wrote in
:

g'day perri,

if not having bees could be impacting on your gardens production then
maybe you could consider buying your own hive of aussie native bees,
they are stingless so are great where kids are concerned, and they are
good pollinators.

len

I have considered that getting native bees would be a great idea for me in
the future also.

Having far, far too many of the horrible european honey bees in my garden
at the moment is a bit of a concern though - I understand these loathsome
creatures are quite willing and able to destroy the native queen and take
over the hive. Unfortunately I can't recall exactly where I got this
information so its veracity is open to challenge.

So, the questions I have a

1) Is it possible/likely that the feral imports will take over ?

2) If so, are there any protective measures that can be taken to assist our
poor, under-appreciated, under-utilised and poorly armed native friends ?

TIA.

Ivan.

Old 23-01-2004, 12:12 AM
len gardener

g'day ivan,

not saying it couldn't happen but it never posed as a problem with me
when i was in the 'burbs and still doesn't pose a problem out here in
rural where i have had bee keepers put their hives on my land so their
bees could make honey.

if it looked like happening i would simply make the entrance hole to
the native bee hive smaller as the native bees are wee tiny things
comared to the honey bee giant, my bees generally have the best part
of their entrance blocked off anyway, dunno why they just do it.

i would say delay no longer get yourself a hive, and start enjoying
our little friends and if/when you move they are very easy to
transport. if you wish to learn more about them there is a couple
native bee sites online i have a link to the qld bee keeper who
exports them to japan. he is very knowledgeable feel free to ask all
the questions and he will answer them.

generally it is not best to have 2 hives too close together 500mtr
seperation or lots of trees between is the answer, they will fight
each other from seperate hives. but for us they are very docile never
have a i seen them riled up. i also have wild native hives around but
there has been no problems regarding mine conflicting.

len

snipped

Old 23-01-2004, 01:14 AM
Ivan McDonagh

len gardener wrote in
:

g'day ivan,

SNIP

i would say delay no longer get yourself a hive, and start enjoying
our little friends and if/when you move they are very easy to
transport. if you wish to learn more about them there is a couple
native bee sites online i have a link to the qld bee keeper who
exports them to japan. he is very knowledgeable feel free to ask all
the questions and he will answer them.

SNIP

Thanks Len - I appreciate the helpful and quick reply

Whatever URL's you have will be appreciated. Feel free to email me
privately with them if you think it is not sufficiently on topic

Last question, do you have any knowledge of people in WA who sell native
bees ? A quick search on Google revealed absolutely nothing

Thanks again.

Ivan.

Old 23-01-2004, 04:06 AM
len gardener

g'day ivan,

don't know about wa here is the qld link he can arrange to have them
sent to you if you so wish:

http://www.uq.net.au/~zzrzabel/

or this site may be able to help i think they are in nsw?? not su

http://www.zeta.org.au/~anbrc/

keep us informed

len

On 23 Jan 2004 12:00:14 +1100, Ivan McDonagh snipped

Old 24-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

Ivan McDonagh writes:

Having far, far too many of the horrible european honey bees in my garden
at the moment is a bit of a concern though - I understand these loathsome
creatures are quite willing and able to destroy the native queen and take
over the hive. Unfortunately I can't recall exactly where I got this
information so its veracity is open to challenge.

I doubt it. The blue arsed bee (don't know it's proper name) nests in
our brick wall. European honey bees use things like tree hollows (and
compete for space and food with possums).

Strangely, there is a push among some horticulturists for the
introduction of the European bumblebee even though the native blue
arsed bee is a much more effective pollinator.

--
Take my first and surname to email me and replace the abuse.