Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 PM
David Hare-Scott

Default Identify nasty grub

I have no way to post a picture so I am sorry you will have to work from
1000 words as they say. I am in Australia where it is high summer, hot and
showery at present.

A grub that I have never seen before just stripped a fig plant in a pot.
All the leaves are reduced to paper thin lace, this took about 24 hrs for a
2ft (60cm) plant as it was fine beforehand.

The attackers are up to about 3/4in (18mm) long with segmented bodies and a
pair of legs on each segment I think, my eyesight is not that good, lots of
legs anyway. Each one has a similar number of segments, about 12. Some are
smaller and presumeably given enough food they would all grow bigger.

They are yellowish on the underside and dark grey/brown on top and somewhat
hairy. One end is blunt and seems to have black mouth parts, the other, the
tail I think, is slightly pointed. Oh where is my binocular microscope ....

As they appeared so quickly I assume they hatched recently and have grown
very fast. If you are able to identify the grub can you also tell me what
the adult looks like so I can keep an eye open for them.

David

Old 02-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Beecrofter

If they were a grub a description wouldn't allow identification anyway
without a count of the number and pattern of hairs around the animals
anus.

What you have are either caterpillars or sawfly larvae.

Because they are attacking a potted plant you can ignore the
nozzleheads and just hand pick them from the plants and either roll
them underfoot or drop them into soapy water.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:51 PM
WiGard

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:27:19 +0000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

[...]

In the US we have county extension agents affiliated with local
universities. Check the insect depart at your local university. They
will be happy to ID the critter.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:34 AM
Boozo

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Hi, David
You could even take one of the bugs in a sealed container/jar to the local
nursery
or the CSIRO if you have one nearby. I'm sure one of those could help if
they know their
business.
Cheers, Boozo in Adelaide, S.A.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:32 PM
A Little Bit

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:27:19 GMT, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

[...]

Caterpillers. Use Dipel to kill them.