Old 02-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Raels

Default ice cubes for watering

Hi all,

Hope our week is getting of to a fine start.

Does anyone use ice cubes of water (or anything else for that matter) as a
way of watering their pot plants, garden, lawn?

Perhaps you do it when you're away? Perhaps your put icecubes in your
hanging baskets?

Raelene
xxx

....· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Raelene -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* xxx

ICQ - 24600909
http://members.tripod.com/papermaker_guild

Old 03-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Gabra

"Raels" wrote in message
Hi all,

Hope our week is getting of to a fine start.

Does anyone use ice cubes of water (or anything else for that matter) as a
way of watering their pot plants, garden, lawn?

Perhaps you do it when you're away? Perhaps your put icecubes in your
hanging baskets?

Ice cubes to water lawn... hmmm...

Otherwise, an interesting idea!

Old 04-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Andrew G

"Raels" wrote in message
Hi all,

Hope our week is getting of to a fine start.

Does anyone use ice cubes of water (or anything else for that matter) as a
way of watering their pot plants, garden, lawn?

Never heard of it before.

Perhaps you do it when you're away? Perhaps your put icecubes in your
hanging baskets?

I don't think it would be of much use, as they would melt within about
12hrs, and if they didn't then it isn't really warm and dry enough to need
the use of them.
Just give the plants a good water before you go, then get someone to look
after them or organise a watering system.
I once used 2 2litre soft drink bottles, each with a hole in them and
"spaghetti" tube (small irrigation tubing) with small micro sprayers
attached. I used sprayers cos the bottles had little pressure in them, and
it slowly dripped out, but try experimenting using this method as height and
size of bottles will have different effects.
oh, that was 2 bottles per large pot, not that I had many
good luck
Raelene
xxx

...· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old 04-02-2004, 10:42 PM
China

G,day all,
I use ice cubes regularly to help water the pots and garden.
Place 2 in a large tumbler, cover with a generous quantity of Vermouth, top
up with fruit juice, then sip slowly while walking around with the hose. It
works every time!

--
China
Wingham

Old 05-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Terry Collins

Raels wrote:

Hi all,

Hope our week is getting of to a fine start.

Does anyone use ice cubes of water (or anything else for that matter) as a
way of watering their pot plants, garden, lawn?

Perhaps you do it when you're away? Perhaps your put icecubes in your
hanging baskets?

Sorry, but this is either looney tunes or not well thought out.

1) Ice cubes melt within a few hours. So of little value over time. So
you need more ice and less surface area.

2) If you part a solid block of ice, say frozen 2 litre soft drink
bottle, you will need to make sure that it doesn't touch the plant,
otherwise you are going to freeze/burn the plant tissue and kill it.

3) What is the long term effect of immersing your plants roots in ice
cold water?

4) What ever happened to that fad of just filling up 2 litre/etc soft
drink bottles, inverting them and driving the top into the soil? Hmm, if
I could find a decent ginger beer, I might be inclinded to consume a few
bottles with ice cream in the cause of trying this out for myself.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Adam

snip
4) What ever happened to that fad of just filling up 2 litre/etc soft
drink bottles, inverting them and driving the top into the soil? Hmm, if
I could find a decent ginger beer, I might be inclinded to consume a few
bottles with ice cream in the cause of trying this out for myself.

Bundaberg is pretty good. Glass bottles though, so not the best for
watering with afterwards
Don't buy Brewer's Choice, it is particularly average...
Old 06-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Raels

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Raels wrote:
Perhaps you do it when you're away? Perhaps your put icecubes in

your hanging baskets?

Sorry, but this is either looney tunes or not well thought out.

Oh, don't mind me............. I was initially thinking of different
ways of watering without standing around with a hose for all the neighbours
to see (especially pyscho next door) and remember reading something about
ice-cubes....... something about putting them in hanging baskets, I
believe. Maybe there was more than water in the blocks... can't remember.

Anyhow, just thought I'd put a post to see what the wise aus.gardens ppl had
to say.

Raelene - Perf
xxx

Old 06-02-2004, 02:32 AM
China

G'day Terry,

You wrote:

3) What is the long term effect of immersing your plants roots in ice
cold water?

When I defrost the freezer I often throw lumps of ice out the back door onto
the lawn, and often end up with dead or 'burnt' patches as a result.

You wrote:

4) What ever happened to that fad of just filling up 2 litre/etc soft
drink bottles, inverting them and driving the top into the soil?

I have often just used 2 litre plastic milk bottles. I make a small hole in
one bottom corner, and then conrol the flow by gradually unscrewing the lid.
I have also done this with the big 10 litre containers that they sell
drinking water in.

You wrote:

Hmm, if
I could find a decent ginger beer, I might be inclined to consume a few

Try a Ginger Beer home brew kit, for $10/$15 you get 30 odd longnecks of
better brew than you can buy off the shelf, and you can choose to make it
alcoholic or non-alcoholic. :-)
--
China
Wingham

Old 08-02-2004, 01:29 PM
miz

ice cubes can freeze four plants, why don't you use an upside down stuck in
the dirty plastic bottle of tepid water.

Old 08-02-2004, 01:29 PM
miz

"Raels" wrote in message
Hi all,

Hope our week is getting of to a fine start.

Does anyone use ice cubes of water (or anything else for that matter) as a
way of watering their pot plants, garden, lawn?

Perhaps you do it when you're away? Perhaps your put icecubes in your
hanging baskets?

Raelene
xxx

...· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-

ICQ - 24600909
http://members.tripod.com/papermaker_guild

Arrg--ice cubes--arrg Pat Brennan[_3_] Orchids 11 06-06-2009 03:31 PM
Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 08:41 AM
ice cubes for watering Raels Australia 0 02-02-2004 11:17 PM
Spices/Herbs in Ice Cubes [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 12-07-2003 03:56 PM
Barley Cubes/balls Jan Ponds 3 14-04-2003 09:08 PM