Old 04-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Mitchell McCreath

Default Eucalytptus Summer Red

Hello all,
Can someone give me a guide to the care of This true.
I Planted it about 2 months ago. It is now putting on a
beautiful display of red flowers with a yellow centre.
Its about 1 metre tall at the moment. According to info
that I have on it, I can expect it to reach 5 metres tall
with a crown width of 3 metres.

What tree would be a good complement?

Cheers,
Mitch

Old 05-02-2004, 07:02 AM
gl

About 1 1/2 years ago I planted the pink variety ('summer beauty') and
couldn't find much info on care for it.
I mulched it well, and only watered it for about a month. I've never
fertilised it. It's now about 2 metres tall and growing strongly - it just
finished flowering, and I didn't know if I was meant to trim the spent
flowers or not.... so I've left it alone and it looks like the 'flower
heads' are developing into branches. I think I'll start neglecting my other
plants, and maybe they'll grow this well too!
I planted ours amongst dwarf lilly pillys which looks quite nice, because of
the contrasting leaf shapes/colours - and as they are only small plants they
highlight the eucalypt. I was keen to find a similiar tree with yellow
flowers as I thought that would be a nice combination.

I'm not actually being any help to you at all! But I was pleased to see
someone else is growing one, as it's a beautiful small tree. Everyone who
has seen it at our house has wanted to get one, but they don't seem terribly
common yet.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:03 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Mitchell McCreath" wrote:

Can someone give me a guide to the care of This true.
I Planted it about 2 months ago. It is now putting on a
beautiful display of red flowers with a yellow centre.
Its about 1 metre tall at the moment. According to info
that I have on it, I can expect it to reach 5 metres tall
with a crown width of 3 metres.

I'm still waiting for my Summer Beauty to flower -- big buds, no flowers out
yet. Mine was planted in September, a week ahead of water restrictions, and
is existing on natural rainlack.

What tree would be a good complement?

I have surrounded mine with shrubs that won't overtop it, with contrasting
foliage and complementary flowers (for those that flower in summer). With the
red, you could try Callistemon 'Little John' or perhaps a summer-flowering
wattle to pick up the yellow centres.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old 06-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Mitchell McCreath

Thanks for the info chookie.
I live at St Marys. For the first summer, Try to water it everyday.
(Will help it to establish). Some dynamic lifter will also help.
Then leave it to mother nature. perhaps some water durring long dry
periods.
mine is flowering like mad at the moment. beautiful. I get asked by
so many
people what is the name of that pretty plant.

Cheers,
Mitchell

Old 08-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Mitchell McCreath

Hello Wanda it is a beautiful bush / tree. and its complement "summer
beauty" (Pinkish flowers)

look for "Summer Red" on the internet

All you should do after flowering is prune back the tree AFTER flowering to
promot bushy growth.

also you can prune it to stop it from getting to big. Has been known to
grow to 8 metres

Cheers,
Mitchell

Old 09-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Mitchell McCreath

Hello Wanda,

I have only had this tree for about 2 months. I am not sure if it is
dicidous. I shall ask someone today. When the flowers emerge from
the casing the top of it falls off. which is not a problem. I have bark
chips under the tree to help keep the soil damp and healthy so any thing
falling on to it does not look out of place.

Regards,
Mitchell

Old 10-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Jade

Dear Mitchell,
It doesnt have to be deciduous to drop alot of rubbish onto the ground. Most
eucalyptus leaves last about 2 years, and then fall off. They dont fall off
all together (deciduous), noooo that would be way too convenient. Some
berries knock off the trees easily, and leaves fall onto the driveway. Other
trees are not quite such a problem. Many trees lining the roads in
Paddington have been removed because they drop too many nuts and berries
onto the driveways blocking drains and flooding garages.
:0)
Jade.

Old 10-02-2004, 03:48 AM
Mitchell McCreath

"Jade" Jade_at_Jaywings_dot_com wrote in message
Dear Mitchell,
It doesnt have to be deciduous to drop alot of rubbish onto the ground.

Most
eucalyptus leaves last about 2 years, and then fall off. They dont fall

off
all together (deciduous), noooo that would be way too convenient. Some
berries knock off the trees easily, and leaves fall onto the driveway.

Other
trees are not quite such a problem. Many trees lining the roads in
Paddington have been removed because they drop too many nuts and berries
onto the driveways blocking drains and flooding garages.
:0)
Jade.

Thanks for the reply Jade.

I don't mind the leaves droping. I'll just add 'em to the mulch
my tree is only about 900mm at the moment so its got a lot of
growing to do.
It has a mass of those beautiful flowers at the
moment which are attracting the birds and the bees

Regards,
Mitchell

Old 10-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Jade

Yes, but Wanda wanted to know whether it dropped much rubbish (your lovely
mulch) onto the ground. Perhaps she doesnt have the same amount of time for
sweeping up the mulch or would like to plant them near a drain.
So... do they?
Jade.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Mitchell McCreath