Old 14-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Andrew G

Default Staghorn and other fern propagation

Hi everyone,

Due to my recent fascination with staghorns I have decided to try propagate
them.
Currently I have read one way of doing it:

1) Basically get a sandy soil mix, I'm guessing seed raising mix, or a
propagation mix of 4 parts coarse sand, 1 part peat.
2) Collect the spores about this time of the year (Late sumer) and sprinkle
them on the surface, make sure it's damp and cover with glass.
3) 4-6 weeks later they should appear, 4-6 weeks after that they can be
pricked out.
So my question is, is this a good way, and secondly when covered with glass
where is the best spot to put them?

The other way I heard was similar, but to let the spores dropped directly in
the soil and don't cover. I'm leaning more towards the first way.

Any other ways? ALso can the same way be used for birds nest ferns and tree
ferns?
This is basically for interest purposes, something I want to try, esp the
staghorns and birds nest ferns.
Thanks heaps for any help in advance.

Old 17-02-2004, 01:09 AM
freebird

"Andrew G" wrote in message
[...]

I gotta try that method on my staghorns! I've been told that you can
just peel off some young growth from a staghorn and transplant it
onto a new surface. Might be a quicker way.

barb

Old 17-02-2004, 02:35 AM
China

G'day Andrew,
Either way should do the job but the first would
give you more control.
To collect the spores, slice off a piece of leaf with the brown spore
casings underneath and place it in a paperbag. Keep the bag in a dry
protected spot, preferably indoors. If the leaf still holds spores you will
see them start to gather in the bottom of the bag after a few days. They
look a bit like fine pepper. You should end up with millions so you can try
several techniques.
If you use the glass top, (which is used to keep in
humidity), make sure it is completely out of the sun (best anyway), as it
will act as both a glasshouse and a magnifying glass, cooking all within.
You can propagate most ferns this way.
The hardest part is usually when you try to 'harden
them of' and transplant them. I recall that some large propagators used to
pot the young ferns into small pots with a mix high in peat to get them
established before trying to mount them on backboards.

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 19-02-2004, 02:59 AM
Roger Riordan

"Andrew G" wrote

Hi everyone,

Due to my recent fascination with staghorns I have decided to try

propagate them. .....

I have found one very easy way:

1. Plant staghorn in large tree.
2. Hang orchids growing on treefern slabs from branches of tree.
3. Water well to keep orchids moist.

The orchids will soon be smothered in baby staghorn plants.

Roger Riordan AM

Old 19-02-2004, 02:19 PM
Bushy

Also, due to the long germination period, the packet of tree fern "seeds" I
bought from my local nursery said to steam or heat in the oven to sterilise
the soil mix and boil the water so you get ferns rather than a nice culture.

If I can find the packet I"ll post the detailed instructions.

Peter

Old 21-02-2004, 06:07 AM
Andrew G

"China" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you very much for the help

Staghorn fern Wendy7 Garden Photos 4 24-07-2010 03:12 AM
Staghorn fern Peter Eblen Plant Biology 0 01-01-2008 11:23 PM
staghorn fern - Platycerium bifurcatum Bonnie Punch Gardening 3 03-02-2004 08:44 PM
staghorn fern - Platycerium bifurcatum Bonnie Punch Gardening 0 29-01-2004 03:22 AM
staghorn fern - Platycerium bifurcatum Bonnie Punch Gardening 0 29-01-2004 03:13 AM