Old 20-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Wanda Too

Default Silver Princess Gum

I'm looking into planting a Silver Princess in my front yard strategically
placed so it protects the bedroom window from the summer sun. I know there
are cables for elect etc nearby, are there any concerns with the roots
getting into plumbing etc? Does it drop many leaves & branches?

Old 21-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Shamless Self Promotion

Hi Wanda

This tree, though truely beautiful after 30 or so years, is a very sparse
specimen in its juvenile years and I would not think that it would provide
too much protection from the sun (especially though weeks like last week).
I don't know much about their sub-surface habits, and would guess there not
to be too much mess given the sparse nature of the tree.

Joanne

Old 21-02-2004, 03:38 AM
Mitchell McCreath

"Wanda Too" wrote in message
I'm looking into planting a Silver Princess in my front yard strategically
placed so it protects the bedroom window from the summer sun. I know there
are cables for elect etc nearby, are there any concerns with the roots
getting into plumbing etc? Does it drop many leaves & branches?

"summer red" or "summer beauty" or "oramge Spledor" are also also beautiful
flowering gums.

Mitch.....

Old 22-02-2004, 05:41 AM
Wanda Too

I want the sparseness to allow some winter sun to fall on the window. On top
of that, the tree doesn't drop much litter, something which is desirable
since I'll be planting the tree within 3m of the house. Really I want to
plant this particular plant because of a planting I've seen at work, it's
something I'd like to duplicate in my own front yard.

The summer sun doesn't really bother me as I have exterior blinds & will be
getting aircon installed this week in the lounge where I intend to sleep on
the hot nights. Just need to buy a sofa bed now

Old 22-02-2004, 05:43 AM
Wanda Too

"Wanda Too" wrote in message
I'm looking into planting a Silver Princess in my front yard

strategically
placed so it protects the bedroom window from the summer sun. I know

there
are cables for elect etc nearby, are there any concerns with the roots
getting into plumbing etc? Does it drop many leaves & branches?

"summer red" or "summer beauty" or "oramge Spledor" are also also

beautiful
flowering gums.

Mitch.....

Thanks Mitch

I'm actually looking into planting one of those as a feature out the back
where it can be seen from the dining area. I still want to talk to the
"experts" at Zanthorrea nursery about things like leaf litter & branch
shedding though.

Old 24-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Mitchell McCreath

"Mitchell McCreath" wrote in message
"summer red" or "summer beauty" or "oramge Spledor" are also also

beautiful
flowering gums.

Mitch.....

Oops! thats "Orange Splendor"
Mitch

Old 24-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Too View Post
I'm looking into planting a Silver Princess in my front yard strategically
placed so it protects the bedroom window from the summer sun. I know there
are cables for elect etc nearby, are there any concerns with the roots
getting into plumbing etc? Does it drop many leaves & branches?
This tree is native to the South West corner of Australia. The soils here are little more than beach sand and do not hold water for most of the year. Consequently all native trees have the ability to send out roots to find water. As you probably don't have extremely dry soil there shouldn't be a problem with drain pipes as it will be able to find plenty of moisture in the soil. As with almost all eucalypts it is an evergreen dropping the occasional leaf at any time of the year (mostly in very dry times!). The only time I have known of branches or leaves falling to excess from my Silver Princesses is when they have been attacked by black cockatoos (they have beaks like secateurs). I don't think you will have that problem! It is a truly beautiful tree especially if you can encourage it to develop a single trunk. Good luck.

Peter