Old 26-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Luke

Default White Leaves on Gardenias

Hi,

After months of feeding and nurturing my Gardenias are putting on a splendid
display however I have now noticed the edges of some leaves turning white as
are the veins on the leaves. Any idea what could be causing this? I have
been giving the Gardenias cow manure and a monthly dose of Iron chelate?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Luke

Old 26-02-2004, 12:51 PM
China

G'day Luke ,
If you have been reading the other recent posts, you may
realise, that you, to, may be guilty of killing with kindness.

You wrote:

.....After months of feeding and nurturing my Gardenias are putting on a
splendid display however I have now noticed the edges of some leaves turning
white as are the veins on the leaves...

So it is true,.... what they say about you,.... you have little time for
punctuation?...{:-) Any way, Gardenias are a classic, in my experience,
just before they go into a 'growth mode', they shed a lot of older leaves
(which start to turn yellow and, means they are quite happy and healthy).

If they are really hungry, feed them with 'Epsom Salts' ( from your local
Bi-Lo you will find them described as 'bath salts'.($3 per 10 grams, at your
local produce store they may be labelled 'horse salts'( hence the Epsom
bit), at about $3 per kilo.)

You wrote:

.......been giving the Gardenias cow manure and a monthly dose of Iron
chelate?.....

If they were short of iron, the first dose would have fixed it, the rest is
an overdose! The availability of 'Iron' to a plant is a 'function' of your
soils acidity.

China
Wingham
NSW