Old 26-02-2004, 01:22 PM
China

Default Oh Magoo, ...you have done it again!...

G'day Mr Magoo,

You wrote: ...

.......some grass tree seeds .....

Are we talking about 'Black Boys' , as we used to say in the old days?

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 27-02-2004, 02:43 AM
magoo

On 27/2/04 10:04 AM, in article
, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"China" wrote in message

G'day Mr Magoo,

You wrote: ...

......some grass tree seeds .....

Are we talking about 'Black Boys' , as we used to say in the old days?

China
Wingham
NSW

Shudder, shock no not that! I think magoo must mean 'young males of darkest
hue'.

If we are talking about Xanthorrhoea australis then according to M Ralph
"Growing Australian native plants from seed" you can expect fairly good
results overall. Germination may be improved by cold or smoke treatment
but as germination rates are quite fair if you have quite a few seeds this
may not be required. Germination may take 4 - 52 weeks for the genus and it
is inhibited by light. For X australis a temperature of 15-20 degrees is
recommended.

I have never done this but I would cover the pot/tray with something opaque
to keep it dark and slightly damp in a cool place, check it for moisture
from time to time and be patient. I suggest that after germination you
would remove the cover and move from soft light to part sun over a period of
weeks. Plant out when they look strong enough. Just my thoughts.

Ralph also says direct seeding can produce good results if sown under
understorey species. Autumn would seem to me to be a good time to do this
to avoid the seeds getting baked.

David

Yes I was/am taling about black boys - I didn't want to get caught up in a
political correctness debate - better things to do! 'Black boys' it is...

Thanks for the advice - I have several seeds and quite a lot more available
if needed so will try a direct seeding and punnet approach following your
advice, which more or less is what I've found on the net. Thanks again.

Scott.

Old 27-02-2004, 02:52 AM
magoo

On 27/2/04 10:04 AM, in article