Old 28-02-2004, 12:03 PM
feRRets_inc

Default Electric lawn mowers: do they cut it?

G'day

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of electric
battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they
worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have
sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

Thanks for reading
Dave

Old 28-02-2004, 01:03 PM
gl

I have been thinking about getting an electric mower too, but haven't had a
chance to investigate them yet - what sort of prices have you seen for them?
I guess the main concern would be power - they might struggle with lawns
like my unruly buffalo grass and twigs dropped from trees?

Old 28-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Chris Wilson

"feRRets_inc" wrote in message
G'day

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of

electric
battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they
worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have
sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

Thanks for reading
Dave

I've had a flymo (but one with the wheels) for about 6 years. It cuts lawn
fine It will struggle with very thick, strong and long grass such as buffalo
or couch that's been left too long. When that happens, I'd usually have to
do it twice, once on high and then again on the normal height setting.

They're very reliable, virtually zero maintenance, and best of all quiet.
And the noise they do make stops the moment you let go of the handle.
They're also light and easy to manoeuvre. And they always start. Of course,
you do need an IQ of 50 to avoid running over the cable.

Good for small to medium size lawns.

Chris W

Old 29-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Bushy

My sister over in Merry Olde England has an electric mower for her yard.
It's a bit like a glorified whipper snipper and although I have an electric
one of these at home on the farm it's only 'cause I got it for nicks that
it's here. It is handy for the front and back door and the length of an
extension cord to trim up light groundcovers that climb over the garden
edges. If I was to try and cut down a clump of green panic, I'd be able to
have three beers while I was waiting.

Works well for my sister, but her yard is about 16 feet by 16 feet.......

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old 29-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Jeremy Lunn

On 2004-02-28, Chris Wilson wrote:
I've had a flymo (but one with the wheels) for about 6 years. It cuts lawn
fine It will struggle with very thick, strong and long grass such as buffalo
or couch that's been left too long. When that happens, I'd usually have to
do it twice, once on high and then again on the normal height setting.

That's interesting because we have to do that anyway with our petrol
mower. I wonder if an battery mower would be lighter and make it easier
to do it more often (I hate the noise of mowers).

Perhaps we could keep a petrol mower for the times that the lawn gets
out of hand, but use it sparingly.

That is of course assuming we have the money....

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia
Old 29-02-2004, 12:42 AM
Ian

"feRRets_inc" wrote in message
G'day

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of

electric
battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they
worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have
sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

Thanks for reading
Dave

Dave,

for a small, 3m by 3m, non invasive eg not Santa Anna couch they are OK.
I have had a Flymo once, would I purchase another?.....Never.