Old 01-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Julie and Deb

Default grasshoppers

Hi all

I'm in Brisbane. At the moment it seems we have a heap of grasshoppers in
the garden, all merrily munching on my poor struggling little palm tree. No
sooner does it sprout a new leaf and the little hoppers move in. Any
suggestions for getting rid of them? (short of a flame thrower, and yes,
I'm tempted!)

--
Julie and Deb
"The internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it

Old 01-03-2004, 07:11 PM
gl

Also in brisbane, and also have a grasshopper plague. Actually, we seem to
suffer with hordes of them all year. I can't even grow seedlings or most
vegies because they decimate them. Most info I've read on controlling
grasshoppers recommend encouraging grasshopper eating birds to come to your
garden. Still not sure on how to achieve that.
I haven't found systemic chemical sprays to be very effective... or at
least, they work temporarily until the next generation hatches from the
soil. I end up going around the garden every few days with a can of baygon,
and just spraying them with that. Once the numbers are reduced, you can go
around and whack any remaining ones with a thong. Time consuming, but as I
said - I haven't found any other decent remedy yet.

u...

Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Loosecannon

Hi Julie and Deb,

Do the grasshoppers only eat your palms and nothing else? If they do I buy
2000 off you!

Richard
not so fond of the palm in WA

Old 02-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Julie and Deb

"Loosecannon" wrote in message
. au...
Hi Julie and Deb,

Do the grasshoppers only eat your palms and nothing else? If they do I buy
2000 off you!

Richard
not so fond of the palm in WA

The little buggers eat everything, but the palm gets the worst of it. The
gardenias cop a lot from the smaller grasshopper species as well - and the
caterpillars of some butterfly. I wouldn't mind if the gardenias were
bigger, but they're only about 30cm tall, and one caterpillar will just
about strip them.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:22 AM
John Savage

"Julie and Deb" writes:
I'm in Brisbane. At the moment it seems we have a heap of grasshoppers in
the garden, all merrily munching on my poor struggling little palm tree. No

Hoppers are rich in protein. Stir fry them for crunchy TV snacks or pop
into the kid's lunchbox for a lunchtime surprise.

Old 07-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Chookie

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

Hoppers are rich in protein. Stir fry them for crunchy TV snacks or pop
into the kid's lunchbox for a lunchtime surprise.

You've been watching too many of those lifestyle programs again, haven't you?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc

Grasshoppers attacking my beans Witchy Mama Australia 2 30-11-2004 01:12 AM
Grasshoppers attacking my beans Witchy Mama Australia 0 27-11-2004 08:19 AM
teeny-tiny grasshoppers... Brigitte J. Edible Gardening 4 09-06-2004 05:04 PM
Grasshoppers junkyardcat Gardening 5 04-06-2004 04:03 AM
Grasshoppers & garlic butter John Hall Gardening 8 25-08-2003 02:02 AM