Old 08-03-2004, 08:38 PM
len gardener

Default vegetable shelf life? in supermarkets

one of these things that i heard some time ago, that in the larger
supermarkets vegetables that can still sprout or show signs of growth
after picking are treated to stop this from happening. eg.,. onions &
garlic can sprout long after they have been picked, potatoes will bud
etc.,. but in the larger supermarkets you never see this taking place,
i was told that this sort of produce was fumigated or dipped in
something to prevent this happening. does anyone have any further
information on this process?

aparently this is done to cut shrinkage losses as their is buyer
resistance to buying produce that is growing.

tia

len
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 09-03-2004, 08:09 AM
Andrew G

"len gardener" wrote in message
one of these things that i heard some time ago, that in the larger
supermarkets vegetables that can still sprout or show signs of growth
after picking are treated to stop this from happening. eg.,. onions &
garlic can sprout long after they have been picked, potatoes will bud
etc.,. but in the larger supermarkets you never see this taking place,
i was told that this sort of produce was fumigated or dipped in
something to prevent this happening. does anyone have any further
information on this process?

aparently this is done to cut shrinkage losses as their is buyer
resistance to buying produce that is growing.

About a year ago I had to update my spray ticket, and something similar was
mentioned but they no longer do it, so we were told.
Apparently now there are strict tests for chemicals in meat and produce, so
basically that put an end to it.
You know, it was kinda strange, it was almost as if our teacher was totally
against chemical use, suggesting when using roundup a weed only needs a
light mist of it to die (not so true in practice), yet he strongly defended
buying food that had chemicals used on them and that it's 100% safe.
Sorry, getting a little off topic there, but yeah, it's a practice no longer
used "apparently".

Andrew
tia

len
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment
http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

Old 10-03-2004, 05:14 AM
len gardener

g'day andrew,

thanks for the info' funny isn't it the double standards of society.

my searching online so far has revealed that there is a product called
'maleic hydrazide' that is used for the purpose of suppressing
sprouting growth in those vegetables lines that will do so on the
shelf, so basically that covers anything that is a tuber, bulb or a
corm. mostly done for the larger supermarkets in the larger centers.

don't know about tests for chemical residues in fresh produce meat or
otherwise, if there is it will only be random and the big boys will be
except i reckon, all the meat product they sell is from chemically
growth promoted animals/fowls so there are bound to be residues to
start with. if they check for residues i would guess they would be
looking for pesticide (pesticide means anything ie.,. herbicides and
fungicides) contamination from spraying on or near where cattle are
fed/graze.

hope you got some good rain your way might be more to come yet hope
anyway, drought is a long way from being over.

ta

len

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:06:41 +1100, "Andrew G"
wrote:

snipped

Old 10-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Andrew G

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day andrew,

thanks for the info' funny isn't it the double standards of society.

It certainly is, and the example I can give was the teacher using a spray
mist bottle, giving it one squirt in the air, waving a piece of blotting
paper through the air, showing us the totally wet piece of paper, and
comparing it to spraying a weed, saying it only needs a quick spray.
Now 1, the blotting paper and a waxy leaf coating aren't even remotely
close.
2, try in practice spraying only one leaf of a weed with roundup, or a light
mist. It may wilt, start discolouring, but almost guarnateed that it will
re-shoot, hence re-growing with the effects of roundup. Do it enough times
to the same weed, and it will become immune to the chemical, and possibly
the seed will go on to produce a new weed that will be even less affected by
roundup. Overtime, the roundup could eventually have no effect on it. Now
that he didn't mention.

my searching online so far has revealed that there is a product called
'maleic hydrazide' that is used for the purpose of suppressing
sprouting growth in those vegetables lines that will do so on the
shelf, so basically that covers anything that is a tuber, bulb or a
corm. mostly done for the larger supermarkets in the larger centers.

Well there you go, didn't know that

don't know about tests for chemical residues in fresh produce meat or
otherwise, if there is it will only be random and the big boys will be
except i reckon, all the meat product they sell is from chemically
growth promoted animals/fowls so there are bound to be residues to
start with. if they check for residues i would guess they would be
looking for pesticide (pesticide means anything ie.,. herbicides and
fungicides) contamination from spraying on or near where cattle are
fed/graze.

Very true and no doubt there would be acceptable limits/levels, but still I
would assume some get through.

hope you got some good rain your way might be more to come yet hope
anyway, drought is a long way from being over.

Thank you, and hope there is some your way. I think we got about 170mm 2
weeks ago, but all in 1.5days, so most ran off the surface. Got some on the
weekend which proved helpful as it was light but constant, however
yesterdays mid 30's temps would have dried it up.

ta

len

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:06:41 +1100, "Andrew G"
wrote:

snipped

Old 10-03-2004, 09:58 PM
len gardener

g'day andrew,

well already in the wa wheat belt the farmers over there have with the
help of glyphosate have created a super weed that is now impervious to
even the strongest formula of glyphosate or any other control
mechanism, the stuff they use they get dressed in a space suit sort of
to mix it and use it, their body is fully covered mmm makes you wonder
hey?

i think their testing for want of a better word is mostly only
concerned with the export market they care little about what happens
in the domestic market place.

we got 110mm then but already for the year we are up to 3/5th's of
last years total of 1040mm, so things are looking realy good around
here on the surface just that the lower water table is still very much
depleted, which leads me to keep thinking the drough hasn't broken
just some of us got some good relief.

len

snipped

Old 12-03-2004, 02:42 AM
John Savage

len gardener writes:
one of these things that i heard some time ago, that in the larger
supermarkets vegetables that can still sprout or show signs of growth
after picking are treated to stop this from happening. eg.,. onions &
garlic can sprout long after they have been picked, potatoes will bud
etc.,. but in the larger supermarkets you never see this taking place,

Garlic is so treated. That on sale in Woolworths, etc., is imported
from China, and is sprayed before it leaves the farm, I believe--you will
practically never find in the supermarket a clove of garlic that has
sprouted.

I'm confident that potatoes are not sprayed, as they seem to sprout
readily. I suspect that ginger maybe treated, as it's difficult to find
a tuber that is starting to shoot if you want to plant one. Onions seem
to rot way before they have a chance to shoot (though now and then one
proves to be an exception), so I'd see no reason to believe they have
been chemically treated.

i was told that this sort of produce was fumigated or dipped in
something to prevent this happening. does anyone have any further
information on this process?

At one time there were moves to irradiate some produce to extend its
shelf life, but I don't know how common this is. There was a deal of
consumer opposition when it was first mooted. I do know that imported
spice powders are irradiated to give them longer shelf life (cut down on
fungal growth).

Old 17-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Chookie

In article ,
len gardener wrote:

well already in the wa wheat belt the farmers over there have with the
help of glyphosate have created a super weed that is now impervious to
even the strongest formula of glyphosate or any other control
mechanism, the stuff they use they get dressed in a space suit sort of
to mix it and use it, their body is fully covered mmm makes you wonder
hey?

Ah, Roundup Ready weeds! Any idea what it is or where I can read more?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 18-03-2004, 10:22 AM
len gardener

g'day chookie,

it was in the wa wheat belt and the weed was a rye grass i think not
sure which channel aired the doco' was a long time ago.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 24-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Ivan McDonagh wrote:

I believe there was an article about this on Bush Telegraph (Radio
National) yesterday or the day before. The programmes are normally
available as "audio on demand" for at least one week after broadcast.

Didn't find it, but I found this:
http://www.grdc.com.au/growers/res_u.../herbicide.htm

There are 34 populations of glyphosate-resistant annual ryegrass documented in
Oz. It isn't widespread... yet. Blind Freddy can see what the widespread use
of GM Roundup-Ready canola will do!