Old 15-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Jock

Default How do I Remove Possums

"Ken Oaf" wrote in message
| On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta" wrote:
|
| Send a ferret up there...problem solved
| Not sure where can borrow one from however......
|
| A brushtail possum would do a ferret.

I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most impressive array
of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. . Definitely
better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through the fur, the
Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
Jock

Old 15-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Rod Out back

"Jock" wrote in message

"Ken Oaf" wrote in message
| On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta" wrote:
|
| Send a ferret up there...problem solved
| Not sure where can borrow one from however......
|
| A brushtail possum would do a ferret.

I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most impressive

array
of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. . Definitely
better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through the fur,

the
Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
Jock

It amuses me that the cute, cuddly, possum on the shelf in the corner of the
back shed suddenly becomes a hissing multiclawed beast with big bitey teeth
the minute you think you might grab him to have a look. It is only at this
point people realise how many claws they have, and how nasty those claws
are.
Years ago we were in the stock-feed storage room of a neighbour. He used to
keep a number of cats around to keep mouse numbers down. This day we were
checking out the new apprentice (kitten) mouser, who was pretty excited
about his new job. Knowing a mother possum & infant lived on some old doors
up in the rafters of the shed, we hoisted the apprentice mouser up onto the
far end of the doors. Little kitten looks around with much interest, and
suddenly sets sight of the largest, angriest mouse with the largest claws he
has ever seen! Instant puffball from the kitten, and you could see his
brain crunching the numbers, and deciding he might be in for a short life
this time around. Suddenly, all his interest was in finding a quick exit
down right away. Pressing business elsewhere.

We bought him back down to ground level before Mrs Possum ate him for lunch.
It took the kitten about half an hour to calm down, and he kept looking back
up where he had seen the mouse from hell and hissing...We probably gave him
nightmares for the rest of his life.
My few experiences with handling possums make me damn certain I will leave
such folly to someone with far less experience about bitey things....or a
lot better handling equipment.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 15-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Rod Out back

Old 16-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Jock

"Rod Out back" wrote in message

| "Jock" wrote in message
|
| "Ken Oaf" wrote in message
| | On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta" wrote:
| |
| | Send a ferret up there...problem solved
| | Not sure where can borrow one from however......
| |
| | A brushtail possum would do a ferret.
| |
| |
| I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most impressive
| array
| of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. .
Definitely
| better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through the fur,
| the
| Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
| Jock
|
| It amuses me that the cute, cuddly, possum on the shelf in the corner of
the
| back shed suddenly becomes a hissing multiclawed beast with big bitey
teeth
| the minute you think you might grab him to have a look. It is only at this
| point people realise how many claws they have, and how nasty those claws
| are.
| Years ago we were in the stock-feed storage room of a neighbour. He used
| keep a number of cats around to keep mouse numbers down. This day we were
| checking out the new apprentice (kitten) mouser, who was pretty excited
| about his new job. Knowing a mother possum & infant lived on some old
doors
| up in the rafters of the shed, we hoisted the apprentice mouser up onto
the
| far end of the doors. Little kitten looks around with much interest, and
| suddenly sets sight of the largest, angriest mouse with the largest claws
he
| has ever seen! Instant puffball from the kitten, and you could see his
| brain crunching the numbers, and deciding he might be in for a short life
| this time around. Suddenly, all his interest was in finding a quick exit
| down right away. Pressing business elsewhere.
|
| We bought him back down to ground level before Mrs Possum ate him for
lunch.
| It took the kitten about half an hour to calm down, and he kept looking
back
| up where he had seen the mouse from hell and hissing...We probably gave
him
| nightmares for the rest of his life.
| My few experiences with handling possums make me damn certain I will leave
| such folly to someone with far less experience about bitey things....or a
| lot better handling equipment.
|
| Cheers,
|
| Rod.......Out Back

LOL.
I had the same with a possum here I had excluded from the roof. It was
daylight & it was in the deep gutter hiding for the day. I went up the
ladder with gloves on to remove it from the gutter. As I held it's tail in
1 glove and started to pull it back, it turned over onto it's back and gave
me a little reminder of how many things it had to shred, bite and maim me
with.
I let go and left it to the gutter. 'OK, enjoy the gutter!!!''
Serious respect.
Jock

Old 16-03-2004, 01:14 AM
Jock

Old 16-03-2004, 02:28 AM
M. Atta

Ok maybe not a good idea...
What about a couple of cans of Mortein Bomb up there which you use to
fumigate small rooms/sheds
The gas might send them packing as smoke from a bush fire would.

Old 16-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Jock

bzzzt. Not nice at all.
Jock
"M. Atta" wrote in message
.. .
| Ok maybe not a good idea...
| What about a couple of cans of Mortein Bomb up there which you use to
| fumigate small rooms/sheds
| The gas might send them packing as smoke from a bush fire would.
|

| "Jock" wrote in message
|
| "Rod Out back" wrote in message
| |
| | "Jock" wrote in message
| |
| | "Ken Oaf" wrote in message
| | | On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta"
wrote:
| | |
| | | Send a ferret up there...problem solved
| | | Not sure where can borrow one from however......
| | |
| | | A brushtail possum would do a ferret.
| | |
| | |
| | I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most
impressive
| | array
| | of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. .
| Definitely
| | better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through the
| fur,
| | the
| | Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
| | Jock
| |
| | It amuses me that the cute, cuddly, possum on the shelf in the corner
of
| the
| | back shed suddenly becomes a hissing multiclawed beast with big bitey
| teeth
| | the minute you think you might grab him to have a look. It is only at
| this
| | point people realise how many claws they have, and how nasty those
claws
| | are.
| | Years ago we were in the stock-feed storage room of a neighbour. He
| used
| | keep a number of cats around to keep mouse numbers down. This day we
| were
| | checking out the new apprentice (kitten) mouser, who was pretty
excited
| | about his new job. Knowing a mother possum & infant lived on some old
| doors
| | up in the rafters of the shed, we hoisted the apprentice mouser up
onto
| the
| | far end of the doors. Little kitten looks around with much interest,
| and
| | suddenly sets sight of the largest, angriest mouse with the largest
| claws
| he
| | has ever seen! Instant puffball from the kitten, and you could see
his
| | brain crunching the numbers, and deciding he might be in for a short
| life
| | this time around. Suddenly, all his interest was in finding a quick
exit
| | down right away. Pressing business elsewhere.
| |
| | We bought him back down to ground level before Mrs Possum ate him for
| lunch.
| | It took the kitten about half an hour to calm down, and he kept
looking
| back
| | up where he had seen the mouse from hell and hissing...We probably
gave
| him
| | nightmares for the rest of his life.
| | My few experiences with handling possums make me damn certain I will
| leave
| | such folly to someone with far less experience about bitey
things....or
| | lot better handling equipment.
| |
| | Cheers,
| |
| | Rod.......Out Back
| |
| |

Old 16-03-2004, 06:10 AM
M. Atta

What about a few boxs of moth balls

"Jock" wrote in message
bzzzt. Not nice at all.
Jock
"M. Atta" wrote in message
.. .
| Ok maybe not a good idea...
| What about a couple of cans of Mortein Bomb up there which you use to
| fumigate small rooms/sheds
| The gas might send them packing as smoke from a bush fire would.
|

| "Jock" wrote in message
|
| "Rod Out back" wrote in message
| |
| | "Jock" wrote in message
| |
| | "Ken Oaf" wrote in message
| | | On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta"
wrote:
| | |
| | | Send a ferret up there...problem solved
| | | Not sure where can borrow one from however......
| | |
| | | A brushtail possum would do a ferret.
| | |
| | |
| | I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most
impressive
| | array
| | of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. .
| Definitely
| | better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through the
| fur,
| | the
| | Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
| | Jock
| |
| | It amuses me that the cute, cuddly, possum on the shelf in the

corner
of
| the
| | back shed suddenly becomes a hissing multiclawed beast with big

bitey
| teeth
| | the minute you think you might grab him to have a look. It is only

at
| this
| | point people realise how many claws they have, and how nasty those
claws
| | are.
| | Years ago we were in the stock-feed storage room of a neighbour. He
| used
| | keep a number of cats around to keep mouse numbers down. This day

we
| were
| | checking out the new apprentice (kitten) mouser, who was pretty
excited
| | about his new job. Knowing a mother possum & infant lived on some

old
| doors
| | up in the rafters of the shed, we hoisted the apprentice mouser up
onto
| the
| | far end of the doors. Little kitten looks around with much

interest,
| and
| | suddenly sets sight of the largest, angriest mouse with the largest
| claws
| he
| | has ever seen! Instant puffball from the kitten, and you could see
his
| | brain crunching the numbers, and deciding he might be in for a short
| life
| | this time around. Suddenly, all his interest was in finding a quick
exit
| | down right away. Pressing business elsewhere.
| |
| | We bought him back down to ground level before Mrs Possum ate him

for
| lunch.
| | It took the kitten about half an hour to calm down, and he kept
looking
| back
| | up where he had seen the mouse from hell and hissing...We probably
gave
| him
| | nightmares for the rest of his life.
| | My few experiences with handling possums make me damn certain I will
| leave
| | such folly to someone with far less experience about bitey
things....or
| | lot better handling equipment.
| |
| | Cheers,
| |
| | Rod.......Out Back
| |
| |

Old 16-03-2004, 06:12 AM
M. Atta

What about a few boxs of moth balls

"Jock" wrote in message
bzzzt. Not nice at all.
Jock
"M. Atta" wrote in message
.. .
| Ok maybe not a good idea...
| What about a couple of cans of Mortein Bomb up there which you use to
| fumigate small rooms/sheds
| The gas might send them packing as smoke from a bush fire would.
|

| "Jock" wrote in message
|
| "Rod Out back" wrote in message
| |
| | "Jock" wrote in message
| |
| | "Ken Oaf" wrote in message
| | | On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta"
wrote:
| | |
| | | Send a ferret up there...problem solved
| | | Not sure where can borrow one from however......
| | |
| | | A brushtail possum would do a ferret.
| | |
| | |
| | I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most
impressive
| | array
| | of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. .
| Definitely
| | better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through the
| fur,
| | the
| | Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
| | Jock
| |
| | It amuses me that the cute, cuddly, possum on the shelf in the

corner
of
| the
| | back shed suddenly becomes a hissing multiclawed beast with big

bitey
| teeth
| | the minute you think you might grab him to have a look. It is only

at
| this
| | point people realise how many claws they have, and how nasty those
claws
| | are.
| | Years ago we were in the stock-feed storage room of a neighbour. He
| used
| | keep a number of cats around to keep mouse numbers down. This day

we
| were
| | checking out the new apprentice (kitten) mouser, who was pretty
excited
| | about his new job. Knowing a mother possum & infant lived on some

old
| doors
| | up in the rafters of the shed, we hoisted the apprentice mouser up
onto
| the
| | far end of the doors. Little kitten looks around with much

interest,
| and
| | suddenly sets sight of the largest, angriest mouse with the largest
| claws
| he
| | has ever seen! Instant puffball from the kitten, and you could see
his
| | brain crunching the numbers, and deciding he might be in for a short
| life
| | this time around. Suddenly, all his interest was in finding a quick
exit
| | down right away. Pressing business elsewhere.
| |
| | We bought him back down to ground level before Mrs Possum ate him

for
| lunch.
| | It took the kitten about half an hour to calm down, and he kept
looking
| back
| | up where he had seen the mouse from hell and hissing...We probably
gave
| him
| | nightmares for the rest of his life.
| | My few experiences with handling possums make me damn certain I will
| leave
| | such folly to someone with far less experience about bitey
things....or
| | lot better handling equipment.
| |
| | Cheers,
| |
| | Rod.......Out Back
| |
| |

Old 16-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Rod Out back

"M. Atta" wrote in message
.. .
Ok maybe not a good idea...
What about a couple of cans of Mortein Bomb up there which you use to
fumigate small rooms/sheds
The gas might send them packing as smoke from a bush fire would.

2 reasons I dont like this idea:

1) The idea of using chemicals when they arent necessarry will get you into
problems in the future. They may also kill the possum in a section of the
roof that cannot be accessed without opening the roof. Some buildings have
cavity brick, and animals can actually die down in the wall.

2) You are using a chemical that has a stong residual effect in the space
above where you live. Any cracks or gaps in the ceiling allows that
dust\smoke to filter down into the living areas of the house. Not good if
it isnt necessary.

However, along these lines, it may be worth investigating if there are any
non-dangerous things that you could put in the roof that would incite them
to leave(as suggested in a later post with the moth balls). I dont think I
would use napthalene, but arent there naturally occurring moth repellants?
I thought cedar balls were moth repellant. Maybe they'd have an adverse
effect on the new inhabitants. Maybe something else than smells bad to them,
but doesnt hurt anything else.

Ultimately, the name of the game is to make them realise that life would be
better living elsewhere, rather than leaving a biohazard zone in your roof.

My thoughts alone.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Stuff Deleted here

Old 16-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Jock

That's good they reckon but the downside is that your home will smell like
an old ladie's smalls drawer.
This is covered by links in post:

Jock
"M. Atta" wrote in message
.. .
| What about a few boxs of moth balls
|
| "Jock" wrote in message
| bzzzt. Not nice at all.
| Jock
| "M. Atta" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Ok maybe not a good idea...
| | What about a couple of cans of Mortein Bomb up there which you use to
| | fumigate small rooms/sheds
| | The gas might send them packing as smoke from a bush fire would.
| |
| |
| | "Jock" wrote in message
| |
| | "Rod Out back" wrote in message
| | |
| | | "Jock" wrote in message
| | |
| wrote:
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most
| impressive
| | | array
| | | of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. .
| | Definitely
| | | better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through
the
| | fur,
| | | the
| | | Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
| | | Jock
| | |
| | | It amuses me that the cute, cuddly, possum on the shelf in the
| corner
| of
| | the
| | | back shed suddenly becomes a hissing multiclawed beast with big
| bitey
| | teeth
| | | the minute you think you might grab him to have a look. It is only
| at
| | this
| | | point people realise how many claws they have, and how nasty those
| claws
| | | are.
| | | Years ago we were in the stock-feed storage room of a neighbour.
He
| | used
| | | keep a number of cats around to keep mouse numbers down. This day
| we
| | were
| | | checking out the new apprentice (kitten) mouser, who was pretty
| excited
| | | about his new job. Knowing a mother possum & infant lived on some
| old
| | doors
| | | up in the rafters of the shed, we hoisted the apprentice mouser up
| onto
| | the
| | | far end of the doors. Little kitten looks around with much
| interest,
| | and
| | | suddenly sets sight of the largest, angriest mouse with the
largest
| | claws
| | he
| | | has ever seen! Instant puffball from the kitten, and you could
see
| his
| | | brain crunching the numbers, and deciding he might be in for a
short
| | life
| | | this time around. Suddenly, all his interest was in finding a
quick
| exit
| | | down right away. Pressing business elsewhere.
| | |
| | | We bought him back down to ground level before Mrs Possum ate him
| for
| | lunch.
| | | It took the kitten about half an hour to calm down, and he kept
| looking
| | back
| | | up where he had seen the mouse from hell and hissing...We probably
| gave
| | him
| | | nightmares for the rest of his life.
| | | My few experiences with handling possums make me damn certain I
will
| | leave
| | | such folly to someone with far less experience about bitey
| things....or
| | | lot better handling equipment.
| | |
| | | Cheers,
| | |
| | | Rod.......Out Back
| | |
| | |
| |
| | LOL.
| | I had the same with a possum here I had excluded from the roof. It
| was
| | daylight & it was in the deep gutter hiding for the day. I went up
| the
| | ladder with gloves on to remove it from the gutter. As I held it's
| tail
| | in
| | 1 glove and started to pull it back, it turned over onto it's back
and
| | gave
| | me a little reminder of how many things it had to shred, bite and
maim
| me
| | with.
| | I let go and left it to the gutter. 'OK, enjoy the gutter!!!''
| | Serious respect.
| | Jock
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old 16-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Tricia

Jock wrote:
|| That's good they reckon but the downside is that your home will
|| smell like an old ladie's smalls drawer.
|| This is covered by links in post:
|| Jock

Tried it our place - the possums did leave and moth free for 20 square
Kilometres!
Once the smell was gone - about a week, the possums returned
--
Tricia

Old 16-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Tricia

Old 16-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Jock

"Tricia" wrote in message
| Jock wrote:
| || That's good they reckon but the downside is that your home will
| || smell like an old ladie's smalls drawer.
| || This is covered by links in post:
| ||
| || Jock
|

| Tried it our place - the possums did leave and moth free for 20 square
| Kilometres!
| Once the smell was gone - about a week, the possums returned
| --
| Tricia

You have to block the holes so they stay out - put up a nesting box in a
tree.
this is all a little ground hog day for me I am afraid.....
Jock

Old 16-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Jock

"Tricia" wrote in message
| Jock wrote:
| || That's good they reckon but the downside is that your home will
| || smell like an old ladie's smalls drawer.
| || This is covered by links in post:
| ||
| || Jock
|

| Tried it our place - the possums did leave and moth free for 20 square
| Kilometres!
| Once the smell was gone - about a week, the possums returned
| --
| Tricia

You have to block the holes so they stay out - put up a nesting box in a
tree.
this is all a little ground hog day for me I am afraid.....
Jock

Athletic ability of possums? Roger Riordan Australia 5 29-12-2023 02:33 AM
Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc. Carol Adams Texas 11 27-05-2003 05:32 AM
Possums....Thiram J & A Haig Australia 0 27-04-2003 10:20 PM
Possums EPSTEIN Australia 9 27-04-2003 07:32 AM
Athletic ability of possums? Roger Riordan Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:37 AM