Old 16-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Tricia

Default How do I Remove Possums

Jock wrote:
|| That's good they reckon but the downside is that your home will
|| smell like an old ladie's smalls drawer.
|| This is covered by links in post:
|| Jock

Tried it our place - the possums did leave and moth free for 20 square
Kilometres!
Once the smell was gone - about a week, the possums returned
--
Tricia

Old 16-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Jock

"Tricia" wrote in message
| Jock wrote:
| || That's good they reckon but the downside is that your home will
| || smell like an old ladie's smalls drawer.
| || This is covered by links in post:
| ||
| || Jock
|

| Tried it our place - the possums did leave and moth free for 20 square
| Kilometres!
| Once the smell was gone - about a week, the possums returned
| --
| Tricia

You have to block the holes so they stay out - put up a nesting box in a
tree.
this is all a little ground hog day for me I am afraid.....
Jock

Old 16-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Tricia

Jock wrote:
|| You have to block the holes so they stay out - put up a nesting box
|| in a tree.
|| this is all a little ground hog day for me I am afraid.....
|| Jock

Yep I know, but hubby is just about to do it when they return - still
it's only been 25 years we have been trying - we think we are up to the
last 2 holes now

--
Tricia

Old 16-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Tricia

Old 17-03-2004, 03:26 AM
Rod Out back

"Tricia" wrote in message
Jock wrote:
|| You have to block the holes so they stay out - put up a nesting box
|| in a tree.
|| this is all a little ground hog day for me I am afraid.....
|| Jock

Yep I know, but hubby is just about to do it when they return - still
it's only been 25 years we have been trying - we think we are up to the
last 2 holes now

--
Tricia

Tricia,

There is a stuff used to stop birds roosting in aircraft hangars called 'Hot
Foot', which you smear over the places they roost. It apparently irritates
the birds feet, and causes a burning sensation, but isnt supposed to do any
serious harm to them. I was wondering how feasible it would be to smear
this stuff at the points where the possums enter\exit. Maybe not this exact
stuff, but something similar.

Maybe there is a marketting opportunity to produce a 'Hot Foot' for
Possums...I wonder how unpleasant they would find it to have something like
vaseline mixed with chilli on their feet.

Mind you; I dont want to kill the little devils; just get them to sleep
elsewhere.

I have this same challenge looming; I think I am going to have to discourage
the possums that have started camping in the attic of our laundry building.
I note they are using only one or 2 places to enter, so am thinking of
trying some sort of discouragement at these points.
I havent even begun to count how many holes they might have to get up
there....

Cheers,

Rod.........Out Back

Old 17-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Rod Out back

Old 17-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Trish Brown

I wonder if you could run a speaker wire up into your roof cavity, install a Big
Mother speaker and play a tape of a growling dog? Or, maybe, the sound of a
wedge-tailed eagle? (I'm serious! Really!) Or white noise? Or maybe Aerosmith in
concert would do the job?

Surely if it were in the roof cavity, loud noise wouldn't bother *you*, but it
might deter the possums? Might be worth a try anyway...?

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 17-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Rod Out back

--

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
I wonder if you could run a speaker wire up into your roof cavity, install

a Big
Mother speaker and play a tape of a growling dog? Or, maybe, the sound of

wedge-tailed eagle? (I'm serious! Really!) Or white noise? Or maybe

Aerosmith in
concert would do the job?

Surely if it were in the roof cavity, loud noise wouldn't bother *you*,

but it
might deter the possums? Might be worth a try anyway...?

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Trish,

I like the idea, but I keep thinking of those trials they keep doing to
reduce the black spots on country roads where kangaroos keep getting hit by
cars. They have tried randomly flashing lights, closely spaced guide-posts,
and I think a noise-maker, and the kangaroos still keep getting hit. I
understand a lot of our more tenacious (and possums would surely rate in
this category) will blank out noise that they dont see as immediate threats.
They get used to it very quickly.

That said, I do think the solution is something like noise, or something
else that makes them uncomfortable, without turning the house into a
disaster zone.

Rod new project; what makes possums uncomfortable, or how to incite an angry
daschaund to spend his life in the attic...

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 17-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Tricia

Rod Out back wrote:
| Tricia,
|| There is a stuff used to stop birds roosting in aircraft hangars
|| called 'Hot Foot', which you smear over the places they roost. It
|| apparently irritates the birds feet, and causes a burning sensation,
|| but isnt supposed to do any serious harm to them. I was wondering
|| how feasible it would be to smear this stuff at the points where the
|| possums enter\exit. Maybe not this exact stuff, but something
|| similar.

I know the stuff we tried it to stop the cockatoos from sitting on our
veranda and chewing the solar heating! Now they were a huge problem! The
stuff never worked and they continued to chew away. I ended up putting
bird netting over the area and that helped a lot. The cockies have
mostly moved on now.

|| Maybe there is a marketting opportunity to produce a 'Hot Foot' for
|| Possums...I wonder how unpleasant they would find it to have
|| something like vaseline mixed with chilli on their feet.

You try it and let us all know! lol

|| Mind you; I dont want to kill the little devils; just get them to
|| sleep elsewhere.

Yeah me too!

|| I have this same challenge looming; I think I am going to have to
|| discourage the possums that have started camping in the attic of our
|| laundry building. I note they are using only one or 2 places to
|| enter, so am thinking of trying some sort of discouragement at these
|| points.
|| I havent even begun to count how many holes they might have to get up
|| there....

One idea I thought might work would be to be a bright light up where
they get in (inside the roof) so that they wouldn't enter because of the
light either in their faces or in the entire area since they only like
dark places. We have a metal roof which is about 30 degree incline and
slippery the possums climb up the ridge capping and enter via the roof
vents up the very top so only have to block the vents now - just have to
get around to doing it!
The possums have never really been too much of a problem until the last
few years now they eat the magnolias and clivias. Although years ago one
chewed a hole through the weatherboards - must have wanted more air! lol
Oh and recently one chewed throught the plasterboard - same reason I
guess!
--
Tricia

Old 17-03-2004, 05:10 AM
M. Atta

my boss baited rats in his roof space.......worked a treat
weeks later a nasty odour could be smelt.....he could not work out where it
came from
Finally found the prob....
the rats had died in the wall cavity.........
I remember Olivier Newton John having a show on the long term effects of
chemicals we use every day.......not real good news...
maybe leave the mortein .......

go for the light in the roof space u can turn on & off & the animal
sounds.......
Making them uncomfortable is the key......

agree

"Rod Out back" wrote in message

"M. Atta" wrote in message
.. .
Ok maybe not a good idea...
What about a couple of cans of Mortein Bomb up there which you use to
fumigate small rooms/sheds
The gas might send them packing as smoke from a bush fire would.

2 reasons I dont like this idea:

1) The idea of using chemicals when they arent necessarry will get you

into
problems in the future. They may also kill the possum in a section of the
roof that cannot be accessed without opening the roof. Some buildings have
cavity brick, and animals can actually die down in the wall.

2) You are using a chemical that has a stong residual effect in the space
above where you live. Any cracks or gaps in the ceiling allows that
dust\smoke to filter down into the living areas of the house. Not good if
it isnt necessary.

However, along these lines, it may be worth investigating if there are any
non-dangerous things that you could put in the roof that would incite them
to leave(as suggested in a later post with the moth balls). I dont think I
would use napthalene, but arent there naturally occurring moth repellants?
I thought cedar balls were moth repellant. Maybe they'd have an adverse
effect on the new inhabitants. Maybe something else than smells bad to

them,
but doesnt hurt anything else.

Ultimately, the name of the game is to make them realise that life would

be
better living elsewhere, rather than leaving a biohazard zone in your

roof.

My thoughts alone.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Stuff Deleted here

Old 19-03-2004, 12:09 AM
Jock

"Rod Out back" wrote in message

| --
|
| "Trish Brown" wrote in message
| I wonder if you could run a speaker wire up into your roof cavity,
install
| a Big
| Mother speaker and play a tape of a growling dog? Or, maybe, the sound
of
| wedge-tailed eagle? (I'm serious! Really!) Or white noise? Or maybe
| Aerosmith in
| concert would do the job?
|
| Surely if it were in the roof cavity, loud noise wouldn't bother *you*,
| but it
| might deter the possums? Might be worth a try anyway...?
|
| --
| Trish {|:-}
| Newcastle, NSW, Australia
| Trish,
|
| I like the idea, but I keep thinking of those trials they keep doing to
| reduce the black spots on country roads where kangaroos keep getting hit
by
| cars. They have tried randomly flashing lights, closely spaced
guide-posts,
| and I think a noise-maker, and the kangaroos still keep getting hit. I
| understand a lot of our more tenacious (and possums would surely rate in
| this category) will blank out noise that they dont see as immediate
threats.
| They get used to it very quickly.
|
| That said, I do think the solution is something like noise, or something
| else that makes them uncomfortable, without turning the house into a
| disaster zone.
|
| Rod new project; what makes possums uncomfortable, or how to incite an
angry
| daschaund to spend his life in the attic...
|
| Cheers,
|
| Rod.......Out Back

They say loud music in the roof in the day time helps to make it not
attractive. A couple of fluoro lights too. - though there's no need to do
the flashing light tiles ala Bee Gees, John Travolta & SNF..
Jock

Old 19-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Trish Brown

Jock wrote:

They say loud music in the roof in the day time helps to make it not
attractive. A couple of fluoro lights too. - though there's no need to do
the flashing light tiles ala Bee Gees, John Travolta & SNF..
Jock

With apologies to the Bee Gees:

Well, you can tell by the way I use your walls,
I'm a possum, man: no time to fall.
Music loud and fluoros warm,
I've been kicked around since I was born.
And now it's all right. It's OK.
And you may try another way.
We can try to understand
the possum's bad effect on man.

Whether you're a possum or whether you're a person,
you're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Feel the ceilin' breakin' and everybody shakin',
and we're possums alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, possum's alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive.

Life goin' nowhere. Somebody help me.
Somebody help me, yeah.
Life goin' nowhere. Somebody help me.
Somebody help me, yeah. Stayin' alive.

Sigh... so much time... so little to do...

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 21-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Jock

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
| Jock wrote:
|
| They say loud music in the roof in the day time helps to make it not
| attractive. A couple of fluoro lights too. - though there's no need to
do
| the flashing light tiles ala Bee Gees, John Travolta & SNF..
| Jock
|
| With apologies to the Bee Gees:
|
| Well, you can tell by the way I use your walls,
| I'm a possum, man: no time to fall.
| Music loud and fluoros warm,
| I've been kicked around since I was born.
| And now it's all right. It's OK.
| And you may try another way.
| We can try to understand
| the possum's bad effect on man.
|
| Whether you're a possum or whether you're a person,
| you're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
| Feel the ceilin' breakin' and everybody shakin',
| and we're possums alive, stayin' alive.
| Ah, ha, ha, ha, possum's alive, stayin' alive.
| Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive.
|
| Life goin' nowhere. Somebody help me.
| Somebody help me, yeah.
| Life goin' nowhere. Somebody help me.
| Somebody help me, yeah. Stayin' alive.
|
| Sigh... so much time... so little to do...
|

| --
| Trish {|:-}
| Newcastle, NSW, Australia

That's a definite keeper.
LOL
Jock

Old 27-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Lambertia

Hi All
About the possums. As a wildlife carer i would beg you please not to
use anything toxic ie mortien,rat bait,many other things designed to
"harmlessly" remove wildlife, they ALL kill.
The best methods to remove a
Mothball in containers with ventilated lids so possum cannot access
it. Do not mix camphor and naphthaleen ( toxic fumes) but 1 or the
other work great. THEN repair holes or remove branches to access roof
within 24hours 48 at the most or they will be back.

Relocation is not the answer always either because as an extreemly
teritorial animal you empty out a territory there will ALWAYS be
someone else to move in, they may be meaner and badder. Better the
devil you know i reckon!

Replace some of their habitat, we removed it where else are they going
to live? Hang a possum box, if you want a design there is a good one
on the NSW national parks site. http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au

Lights in the ceiling work short term.

But above all make it more pleasant for them outside, they only adapt
because they have to.

They are coming into the breeding season again they are going to be
looking for places to nest, i removed 3 from in a chimney yesterday.
Don't use rat poisons the joeys ingest this also and they die
painfully from internal bleeding over days along side mum, and this is
an extremely awful thing to have to experience.

Enjoy our wildlife, it is an extremely unique thing to experience up
close. How many other countries do you think you could have such a
diverse and unusual combination of fauna within our cities. Don't take
it for granted, It may not always be there!
Old 31-03-2004, 02:51 AM
more is gooder

POSSUM RELLANT

1 cup human urine
1 cup household ammonia
4.5 litres of water

Spray this mix all around where the possums are being a problem.

OTHER POSSUM CONTROL SUGGESTION:

Use 'Quassia chips' should be available from agricultural stores that supply
the fruit growers.

Mix up a thick past of the hottest chillies you can find daub this along
branches/fences wher the possums walk, i have been told this causes them
only agitation but enough that they don't want to go that way again.

Got this off "len gardener web site " very good site for natural remadies

Athletic ability of possums? Roger Riordan Australia 5 29-12-2023 03:33 AM
Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc. Carol Adams Texas 11 27-05-2003 06:32 AM
Possums....Thiram J & A Haig Australia 0 27-04-2003 11:20 PM
Possums EPSTEIN Australia 9 27-04-2003 08:32 AM
Athletic ability of possums? Roger Riordan Australia 5 05-04-2003 07:37 AM