Old 12-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Angela Byrnes

Default How do I Remove Possums

Hi All

I am hoping someone out there knows how to get possums out of the roof.

It is getting very smelly and noisy.

Thanks in advance

Bobby

Old 12-03-2004, 08:52 AM
len gardener

g'day bobby,

you don't say where you are from but there used to be a possum man who
also did bird proofing among other things maybe there is one in your
town? look in the yellow pages under pest control i think.

or you can ring the wild life people from the government they should
make arrangements to trap and relocate them for you.

or you could possum proof your roof, then remove the way they are
getting up into the roof or make a barrier around the way they gain
access to your roof, if you want let me know i have some ideas.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 12-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Peter Angus

Hey bobby,

Depending on where you live, your local council may supply possum traps.
They only require a refundable deposit here (melb, Sth E subs) and they'll
probably give you a number to ring when/if you catch one so the local ranger
can come and pick it up. Can't hurt to enquire anyway.

Cheers
Peter

Old 12-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Jock

Angela,
Try a read he

http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/serv...ls/possums.asp

http://members.tripod.com/wires_msc/page3.html

http://www.nana.asn.au/n2-possum.htm

Some reading there for you - good luck.
Jock

. au...

Old 13-03-2004, 03:41 AM
Angela

Hi
Thankyou for your help I am from Canberra and apparently Urban Services
have authorised private pest controllers to remove possums from roofs so
I will call one of those next week.

Bobby

Old 15-03-2004, 06:37 AM
M. Atta

Send a ferret up there...problem solved
Not sure where can borrow one from however......

Old 16-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Ken Oaf

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta" wrote:

Send a ferret up there...problem solved
Not sure where can borrow one from however......

A brushtail possum would do a ferret.

Old 16-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Jock

"Ken Oaf" wrote in message
| On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta" wrote:
|
| Send a ferret up there...problem solved
| Not sure where can borrow one from however......
|
| A brushtail possum would do a ferret.

I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most impressive array
of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. . Definitely
better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through the fur, the
Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
Jock

Old 16-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Jock

Old 16-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Rod Out back

"Jock" wrote in message

"Ken Oaf" wrote in message
| On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta" wrote:
|
| Send a ferret up there...problem solved
| Not sure where can borrow one from however......
|
| A brushtail possum would do a ferret.

I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most impressive

array
of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. . Definitely
better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through the fur,

the
Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
Jock

It amuses me that the cute, cuddly, possum on the shelf in the corner of the
back shed suddenly becomes a hissing multiclawed beast with big bitey teeth
the minute you think you might grab him to have a look. It is only at this
point people realise how many claws they have, and how nasty those claws
are.
Years ago we were in the stock-feed storage room of a neighbour. He used to
keep a number of cats around to keep mouse numbers down. This day we were
checking out the new apprentice (kitten) mouser, who was pretty excited
about his new job. Knowing a mother possum & infant lived on some old doors
up in the rafters of the shed, we hoisted the apprentice mouser up onto the
far end of the doors. Little kitten looks around with much interest, and
suddenly sets sight of the largest, angriest mouse with the largest claws he
has ever seen! Instant puffball from the kitten, and you could see his
brain crunching the numbers, and deciding he might be in for a short life
this time around. Suddenly, all his interest was in finding a quick exit
down right away. Pressing business elsewhere.

We bought him back down to ground level before Mrs Possum ate him for lunch.
It took the kitten about half an hour to calm down, and he kept looking back
up where he had seen the mouse from hell and hissing...We probably gave him
nightmares for the rest of his life.
My few experiences with handling possums make me damn certain I will leave
such folly to someone with far less experience about bitey things....or a
lot better handling equipment.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 16-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Rod Out back

Old 16-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Jock

"Ken Oaf" wrote in message
| On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta" wrote:
|
| Send a ferret up there...problem solved
| Not sure where can borrow one from however......
|
| A brushtail possum would do a ferret.

I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most impressive array
of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. . Definitely
better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through the fur, the
Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
Jock

Athletic ability of possums? Roger Riordan Australia 5 29-12-2023 03:33 AM
Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc. Carol Adams Texas 11 27-05-2003 06:32 AM
Possums....Thiram J & A Haig Australia 0 27-04-2003 11:20 PM
Possums EPSTEIN Australia 9 27-04-2003 08:32 AM
Athletic ability of possums? Roger Riordan Australia 5 05-04-2003 07:37 AM