Old 13-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Rod Out back

Default Advice Pruning tall Lemon-Scented Gum

All,

We have a Lemon-Scented Gum in the garden; about 30 feet tall. We thought it
had died in the drought, but we notice that 4 weeks after the rain, the tree
is shooting again. It is a tall, narrow tree, and the trunk divides into 2
about 12 feet up, and then both divide again about 6 feet further up.
The tree doesnt look all that well; the shoot isnt vigorous, or cover the
majority of each branch.

The decision has been made to lop it to a less dangerous height. This
decision was reached before this drought, as I understand they are prone to
shedding the odd limb. I have been told they have a tendency to split where
the branches divide. The current height means if it sheds a major section,
we will be repairing the roof we only had replaced some 3 years ago.

My question is whether we should remove the tree entirely, or lop it. If we
lop it, where is a good place to lop? All the re-growth is in the upper
branches; none of it is below the second division of the 2 major limbs.

It will be sad to lop it; the Rainbow Bee-Eaters use it as a base when
having their morning insect catch. However, I also note they dont mind the
large Coolibahs the other side of the garden as well, so maybe they'll
survive...

I also wondered what people can tell me about African Milk Bush. We have a
stand of them that catch the mid-late afternoon sun on the northern side of
our house. They get very sad looking in Winter, but in summer they produce
a nice green shade along one verandah. They are also the favourite place for
the green tree frogs to sleep the day away; especially if it isnt too hot.
I appreciate the plant is toxic to handle, but this isnt really a great
concern where we have it growing (hard to get to). What I would like to know
is, if I was setting up a garden from scratch, what shade and water
requirements do they need?

I was thinking that when I set up my garden at the cottage, I was thinking
of a pond for the frog brothers, a large jumble of sandstone rocks and I was
thinking of a stand of these plants nearby. There will be other plants as
well, but the frog brothers certainly like this plant to sleep in.

Ideas on either topic welcomed.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back