Old 13-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Rod Out back

Default Advice Pruning tall Lemon-Scented Gum

All,

We have a Lemon-Scented Gum in the garden; about 30 feet tall. We thought it
had died in the drought, but we notice that 4 weeks after the rain, the tree
is shooting again. It is a tall, narrow tree, and the trunk divides into 2
about 12 feet up, and then both divide again about 6 feet further up.
The tree doesnt look all that well; the shoot isnt vigorous, or cover the
majority of each branch.

The decision has been made to lop it to a less dangerous height. This
decision was reached before this drought, as I understand they are prone to
shedding the odd limb. I have been told they have a tendency to split where
the branches divide. The current height means if it sheds a major section,
we will be repairing the roof we only had replaced some 3 years ago.

My question is whether we should remove the tree entirely, or lop it. If we
lop it, where is a good place to lop? All the re-growth is in the upper
branches; none of it is below the second division of the 2 major limbs.

It will be sad to lop it; the Rainbow Bee-Eaters use it as a base when
having their morning insect catch. However, I also note they dont mind the
large Coolibahs the other side of the garden as well, so maybe they'll
survive...

I also wondered what people can tell me about African Milk Bush. We have a
stand of them that catch the mid-late afternoon sun on the northern side of
our house. They get very sad looking in Winter, but in summer they produce
a nice green shade along one verandah. They are also the favourite place for
the green tree frogs to sleep the day away; especially if it isnt too hot.
I appreciate the plant is toxic to handle, but this isnt really a great
concern where we have it growing (hard to get to). What I would like to know
is, if I was setting up a garden from scratch, what shade and water
requirements do they need?

I was thinking that when I set up my garden at the cottage, I was thinking
of a pond for the frog brothers, a large jumble of sandstone rocks and I was
thinking of a stand of these plants nearby. There will be other plants as
well, but the frog brothers certainly like this plant to sleep in.

Ideas on either topic welcomed.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 13-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Jade

Dear Rod,
In my experience, most Gums cant be killed even if you're
trying! Personally, I would decide on a 'safe height', take a metre off of
that, and get out the chainsaw! No need to be elegant.
Gums have a reserve of nutrients stored in their roots that they use to
start again after fire or other major catastrophe, such as being split in
two by lightening, or being torn in two by storm.
We cut a beautiful gum down quite far at home, (it was just a stump) and
shoots came out of that. You end up with a short bush, rather than a tall
gum. I am not sure what happens after that, as we moved houses.
Don't take my word as gospel, but I do believe in the regenerative qualities
of gum trees.
:0)
Jade.

http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/bot350/1996/Kini/k7.htm
LIGNOTUBERS

An unusual feature of a major group of eucalypts known as the mallees is
the presence of lignotubers, a mass of subterranean vegetative buds
associated with substantial food reserves. These tubers develop during the
first year of growth as two globular swellings in the axils of the
cotyledons. If the top of a seedling which has developed a lignotuber is
destroyed, growth can resume almost immediately. Lignotubers can produce new
growth during the life of a tree at intervals for over a century. As a
result of these lignotubers, the eucalypts are difficult to eradicate as
they are somewhat resistant to herbicides.

About 50 eucalypts species, known as marlocks, branch into multiple trunks
don't have lignotubers. (Gardiner, 1966). Species that lack lignotubers
produce seeds prolifically as an alternate survival strategy (Pyor,1976).

Out Back

Old 13-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Trish Brown

Rod Out back wrote:

[...]

snip

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Rod, I'm not a tree surgeon so please take my comments with a grain of salt, OK?

My Mum and I planted a Lemon-Scented Gum about thirty years ago and it's now
about - oh - forty five feet tall. It *does* drop branches regularly, especially
after a heavy storm. It also drops branches for absolutely no apparent reason!
Sometimes I worry, because my Mum is now in her eighties and I have a vision of
her puddling about in the garden and getting walloped by a humungous gum branch
when she's not expecting it!

Like you, though, we see zillions of birds using the tree (it's much more
popular than the _E.ficifolia_ and _E.cladocalyx_ nana nearby!) and so we're not
about to prune or lop it in the foreseeable future. Luckily, our Lemon Gum tree
is far enough from Mum's house that it would need to fall over before it damaged
anything (except Mum, of course!)

I'm thinking that if you lopped yours just at the dividing point (about 12 feet
up), it would either coppice (as Jade has suggested) or die. Either way, you'd
have done as much as you could and given it its best chance. I don't like the
idea of the forked trunk - if the tree *is* unwell, it could very easily split
down the middle and smack you on the head one stormy night!

Mind you, IME, Lemon Gums can often look a bit disreputable, especially when
there's been a heavy Christmas Beetle (etc) season. They're lanky by habit
(lemon gums, not Christmas Beetles...) and if the canopy gets a bit roughed-up
can look as though they're about to keel over, even though they're perfectly
healthy! Could there be any suggestion of termite infestation inside the trunk?
If not, I'd give the tree the benefit of the doubt and just lop it. If the worst
happened, you wouldn't have to wait all *that* long for another one to grow to a
respectable height.

Dunno if this has been any help, but do let us know what you decide! :-D

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old 14-03-2004, 05:21 AM
Andrew G

"Rod Out back" wrote in message
[...]

IIRC limbs with small angles between the trunk and limb (ie the limb grows
more upwards than out) are more prone to splitting off, whereas those with
the limb growing more horizontal to the ground will be stronger.

My question is whether we should remove the tree entirely, or lop it. If

we
lop it, where is a good place to lop? All the re-growth is in the upper
branches; none of it is below the second division of the 2 major limbs.

It may be well worth getting in a tree lopping service, who can tell you if
it has a disease or not.
Lopping may help, but if it's diseased then it will more than likely be in
the part that is to be lopped and affect new growth.
If it was healthy then the re-growth should occur in the lower section after
it is lopped.
Even the local council should have some inspector that can come out and give
an evaluation on the tree and say what is wrong with it, and whether it's
safe or not. If your roof was fixed a few year back due to a falling limb
and you tell them, then they will probably condem the tree, and if I were
you I'd be taking it right out too.
We have limbs fall all the time at work, we call them widowmakers. A tree
service come in, removed all dangerous limbs, but the only solution to stop
the smaller, yet still dangerous ones falling is total tree removal, which
is not what the course wants due to wildlife, which is fair enough

[...]

Can't help you with the milk bush, but have noticed frogs love the "strap
leaf" type plants like lomandra, flax, and dietes.
Good luck with it, and really when it comes to the tree, try pruning it
right down, se how it goes, and if it fails then at least you tried. Just
make sure you get approval from the council if it's needed.

Old 15-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Terry Collins

Rod Out back wrote:

The decision has been made to lop it to a less dangerous height.

My question is whether we should remove the tree entirely, or lop it.

If the safe height is below the second branching, then I would remove it
entirely and replant. If is shoots from the stumps where you lop it,
then is is just a dangerous sucker waiting to peel off.

The people behind up lopped major gum trees to a tall (20') stump, which
then just suckered at the top of the stop and grew for another 20' and
one windy day, they just started to peel off at the old stump level. New
growth at the old stump is not a proper branch, but rather a sucker that
can easily be peeled off.