Old 17-03-2004, 04:10 AM
Novaa

Default Lawn Advice Needed

Hi
I have recently found little dirt piles in my buffalo lawn ,not too many and
I was wondering if this was the start of those black beetles ?and if so what
do I use for it
TIA

Old 17-03-2004, 04:10 AM
China

--
G'day Novaa ,
Sounds more like ants to me. With a bit of rain around
they often try to flood proof their nests by building little mounds around
them. All very natural and no threat to the grass, but bloody annoying in
ones freshly mown lawns. I have been using 'Antex' from Bi-Lo (it was the
cheapest) with some success but it has required continual follow-ups as
nests show themselves. I just knock down the dirt piles with a rake and
lightly sprinkle over the centre. You will find 'Antex' and several other
similar brands in the section with the cockroach baits and such. Just look
for an ant killer for outdoor use. One pack lasts a while if you are not to
heavy handed, and you don't want to kill all the useful bugs. Be sure you
are not confusing them with the little patches of worm casings that are
deposited when worms come to the surface. Ant mounds will consist of
granular soil piles while the smaller worm piles look like extruded mud.
Mowing tends to destroy both but the ants usually rebuild by the next day
(and in the same places), just when you want to admire your good work with
the Victa. :-(

China
Wingham
NSW

--
p.s. Life's a beach!
...so God help us seashells.

Old 17-03-2004, 04:10 AM
Tricia

Novaa wrote:
|| Hi
|| I have recently found little dirt piles in my buffalo lawn ,not too
|| many and I was wondering if this was the start of those black
|| beetles ?and if so what do I use for it
|| TIA

Could be yabbies

--
Tricia

Lawn advice needed. Martin Gardening 3 18-06-2005 03:42 AM
Reseeding Patchy Lawn - Advice Needed David Gibson United Kingdom 8 24-05-2004 12:09 AM
Ridding my lawn of Clover - Advice needed Tom Newton Lawns 3 29-08-2003 06:02 AM
Advice needed - new sod lawn dying in random patches Bob S. Gardening 0 19-05-2003 06:20 PM
Lawn and hard clay ground? Advice needed! MT Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:34 AM