Old 18-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Cliff

Default Grevillea Honey Gem In Melbourne?

Hi

Just planting out the backyard with natives, one of which is a Grevillea
Honey Gem. Family in Coff's Harbour have one, it looks fabulous. My only
concern that having done some poking around, I've found a link on the
Burke's backyard site that says the Honey Gem is ideally suit from areas
North of Coff's...but will do okay in Sydney.

I was planning for it to be a bit of feature, but I'm now suspecting it may
not thrive so well in Melbourne. What sort of success has anyone had in the
Melbourne area?

Any feedback appreciated

Cheers, Cliff

Old 18-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Quark

We've killed a couple of G. Honey Gems in Mel. You'll need to shelter it
from frosts eg plant near other shrubs or near a north facing brick wall.
Probably best to plant out in late spring and let it have the benefit of a
summer to grow and toughen up. Once it's well established it should be OK
if well drained and with the occasional summer watering.

Regards,

Quark

Old 18-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Cliff

Hi Quark,

Thanks for the tip. Have to have a rethink as to where to put it...and
when. Backyard is totally empty at the moment, so no real protection. Not
sure as to whether to leave it in the pot till Spring (as you suggest) or
pot it out and hope for the best. If it carks it, then I know why!

Cheers, Cliff

Old 18-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Claude

Cliff
I'm also looking to plant natives in Melbourne - what else did you plant?
Claude

Old 18-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Cliff

Hi Claude,

Nothing planted yet, but got a bunch of plants sitting in pots ready to go!

Acacia
- baileyana purpurea x2

Callistemon
- Eureka x2
- Perth Pink x3

Grevillea
- Ned Kelly x3
- Honey Gem x1

Eucalyptus
- scoparia x1

Picked them up the Bushwalk Nursery in Cranbourne. Huge selection of
natives and prices seem very good.

These are the main structural plants. Still got to work out the lower level
underplantings.

Cheers, Cliff