Old 19-03-2004, 08:34 AM
tony

Default 4 foot high Lettuce

G'day all,

I have been growing a lettuce plant and it has grown to be 4 feet high.
The lettuce was a cos lettuce but during it's life has never looked like a
cos lettuce.

It was grown in potting mix with pea straw on top for mulch.

What have I done wrong so that I don't do it again.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Old 19-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Terry Collins

tony wrote:

G'day all,

I have been growing a lettuce plant and it has grown to be 4 feet high.

....snip....

What have I done wrong so that I don't do it again.

me too.
Same problem in hydroponics and in the garden this year.
Old 20-03-2004, 03:29 AM
China

--
G'day all,
Lettuce tend to go to seed after almost any stressful event,

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 20-03-2004, 05:33 AM
Terry Collins

China wrote:

--
G'day all,
Lettuce tend to go to seed after almost any stressful event,
even just transplanting.

Sigh, another think to blam on the cat.

Wait a goddam cotton picking minute. These ones chose to grow where they
grew. I'm not having that palmed off on me {:-).
Old 20-03-2004, 07:39 AM
China

--
G'day Terry,
Yes, cats have a lot to answer for.... :-) .
Several times I have let the lettuce run their natural course, and after
seeding, lettuce start coming up all over the place, some times so thick
that they look like lawn, the value of fresh seed I suppose. The weather we
have had on the east coast lately, ( rain one day, record temps the next and
then more rain etc), is probably causing crop failure all over the place.
I've noticed that prices in the shops have risen, the leaves taste quite
bitter (another sign of stress), look pretty average, and much of it
without any proper heart, making me suspect they picked it quickly because
they knew it was going to bolt . I've yet to taste a hydro lettuce that was
not bitter, by the way.
I love lettuce, ('I'll have a lettuce sandwich please,
with extra lettuce and maybe some lettuce, and if you can, see if you can
sneak in some lettuce.), but due to the vagaries of the crop, I have
started to compensate with raw cabbage types (traditional and Asian). Not
everyone agrees with me of course, but I reckon a raw onion is a wasted
onion and cooking cabbage is just silly.... :-). Several years ago I had
the privilege of cooking for some Asian backpackers, and while they hung
around the kitchen looking for snacks after a long hard day in paradise, I
could not help but notice they kept stealing the sweet potato pieces that I
had ready for the stir-fry, ( what else could a boy brought up with state of
the art English cooking make for our visitors?). I had always presumed that
raw sweet potato would taste as starchy as does the conventional 'spud' when
raw, silly me. To keep a long story long, my point is that lettuce is such a
pain in the proverbial to grow, keep your options open because one can't
boast about the crop 'till it's on the plate. On the other hand of course, a
lettuce plant deliberately grown to flower, can be a very spectacular
feature plant that many won't recognise, quite a good looking plant in fact.
A bit of a barbecue stopper, as our sad collection of politicians are now
fond of calling things, (is nothing sacred?).

China
Wingham
NSW

p.s. Amateurs built the Ark.
It took professionals to build the Titanic!

Old 20-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Terry Collins

everything snipped.

Yes, lettuce success eludes us.

Talking of bitter, my wife has had great success with "rocket" this
year. Now, if we could just get the rest of the salad greens to grow.

However, we do well on the steamed greens side. The borage (self
seeding) goes great. We have a lawn of it atm. The comfrey goes well and
gets masacared (sp) for the compost with a little for the pot
occasionally. Dock is another steamed occassional, but I try to keep it
out.

I'm actually a raw vegetable man over cooked stuff.

Old 21-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Terry Collins

China wrote:

--
G'day again,
I have a good old comfrey patch, can that be used in

Yes, but only occassionally, say monthly.
Apparently if you had it nightly you would kill your kidneys quickly.
This was why is was "banned" a while back for a while.

Old 25-03-2004, 10:31 AM

Dear Terry,

Yes I have experienced very tall lettuce of the loose leaf varieties, if let
go to seed.
http://www.jeack.com.au/~kirsty/03.y...2-3212_IMG.gif

The lettuce is below the lemon tree on the left hand side of the photo. Not
quite 4ft in this photo but certainly VERY HIGH for lettuce And not one
of the 'taller' lettuces. I planted them in mid autum and they had all gone
to seed by mid January. They were edible up till Mid November and getting a
bit bitter during December. I actually prefer these loose lease lettuce
varieties. Graze picking. I have since planted a lot more. I wonder if they
will make 4ft by next summer.