Old 09-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Raels

Default chilli/garlic spray - pet deterrent

"Jock" wrote in message
I find a lead spray is satisfactory. Nominally, about 55grains at

3,200fps will discourage any further feline visits.
Failing that, ammonia on the visiting cat's starfish region will make it
associate visits with pain - hopefully staying away. I really do not like
cats. There is no way I see them fitting into our country unless they are
kept inside, away from our wildlife, sandpits, places they spray with

urine
and generally being a pain in the bum to us who enjoy the idea of a little
wildlife about, not having to be scared of entering the food chain via a

cat.
Jock

Hmmmmmm, lead spray. 55 at 3,200..... now you've lost me.

why would ammonia cause 'pain'? I thought it'd just provide an unpleasant
smell. *shrug*

As a previous victim of a 'hit n run' my cat doesn't go out of it's own yard
and is indoors all night and 98% of the day.

Just on the odd occasion it decides to have a walk round the back yard
(usually to pee) then comes back inside.

Last time, I managed to pick up the 'other' cat whilst the two were in
mid-fight having a 2.5 sec. pause. After picking the offending cat up I was
going to take it to the tap and 'hose it down' but it made such a hell of a
noise I had to let it go.

Lucky I did 'cause next min. the pyscho owner yells something out at me then
starts banging on the fence.

Never mind the cat....... I wish someone would put the owner down!

Old 09-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Rod Out back

"Raels" wrote in message
u...

"Jock" wrote in message
[...]

I think Jock is suggesting shooting the cat; 55gn projectile doing 3200 feet
per second sounds like a .223 rifle to me. Not the best idea for suburbia.
I would probably be using Jocks' solution if a cat appears in my back yard.
I dont have any pets, and the nearest neighbour is 12 kms away.

He was also suggesting spraying ammonia on the cats bum. Bound to hurt
something fierce. Probably a bit cruel on the cat, even for an anti-cat
person like me.

Back to the problem at hand, I wonder if some of that hot-foot bird paste
would work on a cat? It is used to stop birds roosting in sheds & hangars
etc. Smear it on the places where the cat comes over the fence. I know one
person in this group said they hadnt had any success using it against
possums in her roof, but maybe a cat would find it unpleasant on their paws.
You might be able to smear it along the tops of all the posts. It would
certainly be a much cheaper option than setting up a huge sprinkler system.
Mind you, the sprinkler system does the least harm to the cat(aside from his
pride...).

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Stuff Deleted Here

Old 10-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Trish Brown

Rod Out back wrote:

[...]

I've posted this before (years ago, though), but will post again in case it's
useful to anyone. (Dunno if the stuff's available any more...)

We were renting a suburban place that had extensive raised stone garden beds at
the front. I planted pansies and stocks, but no sooner had they germinated than
next door's infernal cat came and did the expected in the beds, digging up half
my flowers and leaving the most unutterable stench! Of course, I grumbled and
carried on, but was surprised very soon after that by the neighbours calling in
to say they'd got some anti-cat stuff and would put it in my garden if I didn't
mind. I said 'Go for it' and so they did!

It was called 'Keep Off My Garden' and it was some kind of powder or crystal, I
think. When you water it in, it eventually turns into an awful (but odourless)
jelly-like substance. When the cat came to cr@p in the garden, it would lift its
paws in horror and depart abruptly, parking some way off to lick itself clean.
Apparently, something in the jelly gave it a bellyache, because the facials on
the cat were quite hilarious to behold! Poor thing!

I was thinking, even if you can't get the same product, plain old gelatine ought
to do the trick. You could mix up a concentrated batch (don't want it too
sloppy), half-set it (maybe even add something like chili powder) and then
spread it over your garden bed. I doubt it'd do much on fencetops (probably dry
out?), but it could be worth a try?

In my case, the cat learned within two or three days that our garden was a
bugger of a place and stopped visiting. I was happy, the neighbours were happy
and the poor cat was probably very, very constipated.

HTH,

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 10-04-2004, 04:33 AM
blank

"Trish Brown" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, Ive used this product recently--bought it from Bunnings. And it works
well--keeps dogs and cats off the grass around my place. Only problem is
that it is soluble in water, so you need to spread it around after watering
the lawn.

Old 28-04-2004, 02:08 AM
John Savage

"Raels" writes:
Last time, I managed to pick up the 'other' cat whilst the two were in
mid-fight having a 2.5 sec. pause. After picking the offending cat up I was
going to take it to the tap and 'hose it down' but it made such a hell of a
noise I had to let it go.

I've never tried this, but have made the suggestion many times: fill your
Supa-Soaker (monster water pistol) with water containing Icapec Syrup and
give the cat a good squirt so you get plenty on its coat. If your timing
is just right, the cat will return to its owners lounge-room carpet before
starting to lick the liquid off its coat .... (I'm assuming Icapec is
soluble in water.)

Another possibility, splash or squirt it with castor oil or quinine water.

If the cat is entering your property over a tall fence, perhaps you could
smear the top of the fence with Rawleighs Mustard Ointment (or Tiger Balm
or any greasy liniment). This would be rain-resistant, and getting a bit on
its paws would annoy the cat, more so when it attempted to lick it off. After
that, the mere smell of the Tiger Balm would be enough to keep the cat away.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Chilli and Garlic spray Don Smith Australia 1 21-11-2004 01:22 AM
chilli/garlic spray - pet deterrent Raels Australia 5 09-04-2004 03:33 AM
Responsible pet ownership (was nancy' pet) Jade Blackbourne Australia 2 03-09-2003 11:02 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM