Old 18-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Rod Out back

Default Burst pressure testing poly-pipe

All,

Not really the right group, but I wondered if any of you might know where I
might look to solve this...

I have a water pipeline that supplies the house; mostly very old 1 1/2"
pipe. Some sections are newer than others, but a considerable amount of the
final kilometre in question is late 1960's vintage.
Yes, they had polypipe that long ago!

Having installed the solar pump from hell at the other end of the
pipeline(28kms), we are now faced with over-pressure problems at the house
end. We have a number of tanks & troughs along the line that draw from it,
and a high tank midway that is to relieve pressure(no float-valve on it) if
all tanks & troughs are full.

What I am looking for is some simple way of working out the max pressure
this old section of line can handle. I envisage something along the lines of
a pressure gauge, but one that retains the last highest reading until you
reset it. I have seen the same concept in tachometers in race cars, but I am
looking for something in a pressure gauge. This would allow me to pressure
test sections of line until I get a blowout and then adjust a
pressure-relief setup at the house that cuts in below the max pressure.

Basically, has anyone seen such a pressure gauge? One that remembers the
last max pressure till reset? The rest of the setup I can do myself (pump,
pressure-relief setup, etc). I would prefer something non-electronic, but
anything that gets the job done would be considered.

Eventually, we will replace this section of buried line with some new high
pressure line, and be done with it. However, the testing equipment has
other uses here if I can set it up easily.

Any ideas or thoughts gladly welcomed.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 18-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Andrew G

"Rod Out back" wrote in message
All,

Not really the right group, but I wondered if any of you might know where

might look to solve this...

I have a water pipeline that supplies the house; mostly very old 1 1/2"
pipe. Some sections are newer than others, but a considerable amount of

the
final kilometre in question is late 1960's vintage.
Yes, they had polypipe that long ago!

Having installed the solar pump from hell at the other end of the
pipeline(28kms), we are now faced with over-pressure problems at the house
end. We have a number of tanks & troughs along the line that draw from it,
and a high tank midway that is to relieve pressure(no float-valve on it)

if
all tanks & troughs are full.

Wow, that's one hell of a pump if I read right, that 28kms down the line it
can over pressure the line, unless of course it all heads downhill to the
house also.

[...]

THere are compression testers for engines that do this. Basically when you
comp test an engine you need the highest reading, and of course it is
re-settable. The only ones of that sort I have seen are the threaded ones,
not the ones you have to hold against the sparkplug hole.
So you could go with that, but of course check that it is that type first.
The only problem you may have is that as a comp tester tests pressure of
air/gas, then possibly the internals of the tester may be too small to
accept a liquid.
I guess otherwise just any pressure tester will work but you just have to
sit there and watch the highest reading :-)
Good luck

Eventually, we will replace this section of buried line with some new high
pressure line, and be done with it. However, the testing equipment has
other uses here if I can set it up easily.

Any ideas or thoughts gladly welcomed.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Spring has burst David Hill United Kingdom 0 23-03-2014 11:27 AM
Howeara Lava Burst 'Puanani' - howearalavaburstpuanani.jpg (1/1) [170K] tbell Orchid Photos 2 16-12-2006 02:10 AM
Howeara Lava Burst Ray Orchids 4 22-10-2005 11:38 PM
FYI pipe pressure loss calculator mark Bannister Ponds 0 10-03-2005 05:13 PM
Poly pipe fitting question hoges Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:33 AM