Old 29-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Peter and Susan

Default A thorny problem

We have a minor boundary problem. Our side neighbours (#8) recently rebuilt
their side fence towards the back of the property and didn't join it up with
either our or their rear neighbour's back/side fences. As a result we now
have a significant gap between No 8's boundary fence and our rear boundary
fence. This has resulted in a steady stream of dogs and kids from the
property behind #8 using our yard as a speedway, a situation we are not
entirely happy with.

We had a look at our boundary situation today to try and come up with a
solution but the problem is the layout of that corner of the yard (our side
neighbour retains up and the rear neighbour retains down) as well as
discovering that neither fence has side posts, so we can't secure a section
of railing and nail on more palings. Digging a new post hole will be a
problem as well.

One thought that occurred to us was perhaps planting something that would be
unpleasant to walk through. Bougainvillea came to mind but it may be too
invasive for our purposes. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Incidently, we have tried asking the kids not to run through our yard but
obviously its not working.

We are in Brisbane.

Thanks in advance

Susan and Peter

Old 29-06-2004, 11:03 AM
blank

Sounds as though a dense shrub would be the answer. Ask at any decent
nursery--there are many to choose.

Old 29-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Andrew G

Kinda hard to picture, but in a nutshell you want to close a gap in the
fence using plants?
Well Bouganvillia or 2 would be good, and isn't too invasive if kept pruned.
Only problem is all this rubbish with sueing and what not now days, is if a
kid tears themselves up on them, are you liable. Commonsense would say no,
but overpayed doo gooding solicitors would say yes (ducks and says not all,
before flames come in).
Otherwise, you could go the Grevillea that has the spiny short "pine like
leaves". Can't think of the name, but ask at a nursery.
They are quite itchy when touched, and annoying.
Whatever you decide on, especially the grevillea must be relatively
advanced, say at least 2 foot high to start, otherwise they will probably
just get trampled.
Good luck

Old 29-06-2004, 01:07 PM
The Lady Gardener

I can visualise a lovely spot for a variety of thorny succulent cacti - very
drought tolerant, and very unpleasant to try and traverse, and not at all
invasive (ok - so stay away from prickly pear). Perhaps considering
relocating your compost heap to this corner might also serve to halt your
superhighway - though my dogs have always loved these!

Good luck

Joanne

Old 29-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Bushy

If you would like some prickly pear, or blackberry, or lantana, or "wait a
while", or "wait a bloody long while", drop back a line.

I have all these as advanced plants on my farm (which many years ago was a
prickly pear selection) near Gatton and I dig a few out with the dozer on a
semi-regular basis......They are all capable of slowing down kids, adults,
dogs, cows, horses and some of them are big enough to slow down the tractor
or dozer, but only because mine doesn't have a cabin......

;)
Peter

Old 29-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Trish Brown

Peter and Susan wrote:

[...]

Grevillea rosmarinifolia (Rosemary-leaved Grevillea)! It's probably the most
commonly planted of the Grevilleas (at least, it is around our way) and will
deter all but the most determined dogs. Kids *hate* it because it really is
prickly! The flowers are very pretty, though, and it grows quite quickly. Other
than that, try roses, especially a climbing one that will fill the gap quickly.

I really dislike Bougainvillea in small gardens because those thorns are
*deadly*, especially to the poor sod who gets to prune the thing. FWIW, my Mum's
Bougainvillea lifted up her carport and carried it away!
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 01-07-2004, 04:07 AM
Margaret

"Peter and Susan" wrote in message
We have a minor boundary problem. Our side neighbours (#8) recently

rebuilt
their side fence towards the back of the property and didn't join it up

with
either our or their rear neighbour's back/side fences. As a result we

now
have a significant gap between No 8's boundary fence and our rear

boundary
fence. This has resulted in a steady stream of dogs and kids from the
property behind #8 using our yard as a speedway, a situation we are not

entirely happy with.

Why on earth didn't the silly buggar 'finish' it..... fill the gap, etc.
Does he want ppl to be able to shortcut through?

Can you talk to the 3rd neighbour?

How about some of that bamboo fencing advertised?

Seems to me plants might not be the anser if they can simply be cut down or
poisoned.

*shrug* You have my sympathies. You can have my neighour
anytime, he's worse!

R.

Old 01-07-2004, 04:07 AM
Margaret

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
Peter and Susan wrote:

Thanks in advance

Susan and Peter

I really dislike Bougainvillea in small gardens because those thorns are
*deadly*, especially to the poor sod who gets to prune the thing. FWIW, my

Mum's
Bougainvillea lifted up her carport and carried it away!
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Not all Boug.s have thorns, though.

R.

Old 14-07-2004, 04:13 PM
John Savage

"Bushy" wrote:
If you would like some prickly pear, or blackberry, or lantana, or "wait a
while", or "wait a bloody long while", drop back a line.

Or how about Cobbler's Pegs??

Failing that, I suggest the regular application of that sewage sludge
fertiliser that landscapers use. Until you can get hold of some try
chook poo fertiliser. Spread it thick and keep well watered. By the
time the kids have walked it into their homes on their shoes, and the
local dogs have eaten some them licked their owners faces, you will
have marked your property boundary indelibly!

John Savage

Old 15-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Peter and Susan

Thanks everyone for your ideas. We like the grevillia idea since we have a
mostly natives in that part of the garden. We've also found some of that
extendible lattice in the back shed so hopefully that will also reinforce to
the kids that they are not welcome visitors while the planting grows a bit.

Regards,
Susan

PS My father used to use sewage sludge as a fertilizer on our garden at
home. Used to grow beautiful tomatos - pity he hadn't actually planted them.

Old 19-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Chookie

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

Failing that, I suggest the regular application of that sewage sludge
fertiliser that landscapers use. Until you can get hold of some try
chook poo fertiliser. Spread it thick and keep well watered. By the
time the kids have walked it into their homes on their shoes, and the
local dogs have eaten some them licked their owners faces, you will
have marked your property boundary indelibly!

Oooh, savage by name and savage by nature...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet

Thorny plants - pyracantha WRabbit United Kingdom 13 21-05-2006 07:51 PM
Wanted: Deadly, Thorny Shrub Doug Kanter Gardening 54 04-12-2004 12:01 AM
Thorny shrubs sw United Kingdom 19 17-05-2003 11:56 AM
Thorny sugestions Sheepkeeper Roses 6 07-05-2003 03:20 PM
thorny vine ID? kate Gardening 5 06-02-2003 03:36 PM