GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant id help me out! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/78509-plant-id-help-me-out.html)

Loosecannon 07-07-2004 01:02 PM

Plant id help me out!

Hi All,

Finally got it together and have the link

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rnoonan...0Pictures2.jpg

Thanks

Richard

Chookie 11-07-2004 07:02 AM

Plant id help me out!

In article ,
"Loosecannon" wrote:

Finally got it together and have the link

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rnoonan...0Pictures2.jpg

Bit hard to tell with no flowering part. Could be a grass, could be onion
weed...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet

Terry Collins 11-07-2004 02:04 PM

Plant id help me out!

Chookie wrote:

Bit hard to tell with no flowering part. Could be a grass, could be onion
weed...

Umm, I don't think it is a grass as it has a tubular stem, like onions,
etc.

Nor do I think it is onion weed as it doesn't have the bulblets and
looks bigger than I've ever seen onion weed. Cos, it might be a
different form to what I have seen.

Was wondering if it flowers out the top?

Loosecannon 11-07-2004 04:05 PM

Plant id help me out!

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Chookie wrote:

Bit hard to tell with no flowering part. Could be a grass, could be

onion
weed...

Umm, I don't think it is a grass as it has a tubular stem, like onions,
etc.

Nor do I think it is onion weed as it doesn't have the bulblets and
looks bigger than I've ever seen onion weed. Cos, it might be a
different form to what I have seen.

Was wondering if it flowers out the top?

I have noticed it for quite a while but have never seen flowers. It is not
spreading by roots so assume it is spreading by seed. I'll keep my eye out
for when they do flower and take a piccy then.

I have onion weed and it is nothing like it. The leaves on this one are
twice as long. They remind me of onions and have ridges running from top to
bottom.

Richard

Trish Brown 12-07-2004 02:02 AM

Plant id help me out!

Loosecannon wrote:

I have noticed it for quite a while but have never seen flowers. It is not
spreading by roots so assume it is spreading by seed. I'll keep my eye out
for when they do flower and take a piccy then.

I have onion weed and it is nothing like it. The leaves on this one are
twice as long. They remind me of onions and have ridges running from top to
bottom.

Richard

Hmmmm... A lot of sedges have ridged leaves...

You could press a bit of it (try to get roots, shoots, leaves and flowers) and
send it to the National Herbarium. Then we'd all know what it is! :-D

I think the Pastures Protection Board will ID weeds as well. And CSIRO?

My first thought was 'lemon grass', but on second inspection, it looks too
succulent and hasn't got the reddened leaf bases. It couldn't be some kind of
native ground orchid?
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia