Old 08-07-2004, 08:02 AM
MC

Default Pruning of young rosemary plants?

Hi all,

I have two rosemary plants that I put in as seedlings in January and they
are coming along nicely (Brisbane). I really want them to become a thick
shrub, like a friend has, so that I can harvest heaps of herb and not have
to worry about retarding the growth of the plants.

My question is ... should I tip-prune them to promote bushiness? They are
getting quite long in the stems - say, 30cm long - so I think it might be
time to prune?! They are only about 35cm high, with a similar diamteter.

Any suggestions welcome!
Cheers,
Mick

Old 08-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Christopher Smith

In article , MC wrote:

Hi all,

I have two rosemary plants that I put in as seedlings in January and they
are coming along nicely (Brisbane). I really want them to become a thick
shrub, like a friend has, so that I can harvest heaps of herb and not have
to worry about retarding the growth of the plants.

My question is ... should I tip-prune them to promote bushiness? They are
getting quite long in the stems - say, 30cm long - so I think it might be
time to prune?! They are only about 35cm high, with a similar diamteter.

I do not know what one ³should² do in this instance, but I kept tip
pruning all of my stems to 15 or 20cm in length until they became hedge
like. Now I just go along whenever they seem to need a haircut. It only
took a couple of years to get them to that point.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Chookie

In article , "MC" surftravelATyahooDOTcom
wrote:

My question is ... should I tip-prune them to promote bushiness? They are
getting quite long in the stems - say, 30cm long - so I think it might be
time to prune?! They are only about 35cm high, with a similar diamteter.

Yes, do so -- you wouldn't get any frosts, would you?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 13-07-2004, 05:03 AM
MC

No ... no frosts!

wrote:

My question is ... should I tip-prune them to promote bushiness? They

are
getting quite long in the stems - say, 30cm long - so I think it might

be
time to prune?! They are only about 35cm high, with a similar diamteter.

Yes, do so -- you wouldn't get any frosts, would you?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet

[IBC] Very young Ficus, repot w/ or w/o root pruning? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 13-04-2004 11:35 AM
Very young Ficus, repot w/ or w/o root pruning? John Bonsai 0 12-04-2004 10:05 PM
Rosemary pruning Q GoldDustRhiannon United Kingdom 15 23-11-2003 10:26 PM
Pruning Rosemary Wanda Australia 1 25-08-2003 01:12 AM
Training/pruning young trees? Elizabeth North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 05:45 PM