Old 14-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Margaret

Default place your 'poo' in order of preference

Hi all,

Just wondering........................... is one any better than the other,
especially for natives?

Chook Poo
Cow Poo
Pig Poo
Horse Poo
??

--
....· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Does the Little Mermaid wear an algebra?

Old 14-07-2004, 10:08 AM
SG1

Sheep
It takes longer to break down and really conditions the soil. Not easy to
get in the city, she who must be obeyed fits under & in shearing sheds quite
well.
Jim

"Margaret" wrote in message
u...
Hi all,

Just wondering........................... is one any better than the

other,
especially for natives?

Chook Poo
Cow Poo
Pig Poo
Horse Poo
??

--
...· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old 14-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Trish Brown

SG1 wrote:

Sheep
It takes longer to break down and really conditions the soil. Not easy to
get in the city, she who must be obeyed fits under & in shearing sheds quite
well.
Jim

Nah! I like horse: it breaks down really well and turns into fibrous stuff
(grass skeletons?) that really conditions lumpy soil. It comes from That Noble
Animal: the Horse *and* it smells nice!! (Relatively speaking, that is...)

The best place to get horse poo is from a stable. Paddock-horse-poo (or cow or
anything else that can feed on weeds) is going to contain weed seeds, isn't it?
Hardly the sort of thing you want in your garden! Last time I looked, no-one was
keeping cows or sheeps in stables...

Chook poo smells *really* vile and you can catch salmonella from it. Also, it
has a way of lingering about one's person like a deep green cloud of misery! And
it will linger about your garden in exactly the same way, making a repellent
sort of place of it in no time flat!

I can't honestly say I've ever used cow poo in a garden, but I *have* worked in
a dairy and I know that cow poo is definitely life-threatening: if you don't
skid on it while it's wet and slimy (and fall, thus breaking your neck/back and
rendering yourself damaged for life), it will turn into concrete and you'll have
the d*vil of a job chiselling bits off it to put into your garden. Also, you'll
have to go to a paddock somewhere out the back of b*ggery and lever up a whole
plethora of concrete berets to stack in a chaff bag and take home in your car.
And cows are sneaky! Not all the berets are entirely concrete: some of them are
only concrete on the *out*side! When you pick them up, they show their true
colours and turn into a semi-fresh cowpat right in your hands! Like that idea?
No, I didn't think you would...

Sheep poo has the distinct disadvantage of coming out of the bottom of a
*sheep*, don't you see? And sheep are hardly the sort of thing you want to be
chasing around a paddock, brandishing a bedpan, now, are they? They look at you
with that faintly dyspeptic expression possessed only by animals of the sheeply
kind and go 'Baaaaaaaa'. You approach them (bedpan earnestly in hand) and they
drop their little offering in your path as they beat a hasty retreat, probably
into a dam or through an electric fence or across a freeway... You get the
picture?

No, stick with nice, safe, green, pre-pelletted horse poo! Y'can't go wrong! ;-D

HTH,

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 16-07-2004, 02:20 PM
helene

With any sort of poo, we find it a good practice to put it in a garbage bin,
bin, bin (not bag) and add about 5 liters of water. Leave it for about 2
months and then stir it well. You can almost see it doing some good. Break
up any lumps. Dilute to taste, (of the worms, not yours) as you use it
after this.
In the dark and with the water it , it breaks down very well.

Moo poo breaks down even more quickly in water.

cheers , helene

Old 19-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Margaret" wrote:

Just wondering........................... is one any better than the other,
especially for natives?

Chook Poo
Cow Poo
Pig Poo
Horse Poo

I wouldn't use any of these on natives -- I use blood & bone or a slow-release
fertiliser for natives. I have heard (don't know if it's true) that chook poo
is high in phosphorus, which will kill off any proteaceae (eg banksias).

*Fresh* chook and cow poo (and probably pig) are "hot" and very good for
starting off your compost heap, though they will burn your plants if applied
directly to the garden. Of course, in the big smoke, you can't GET the fresh
stuff -- it's all well-rotted, if still a bit stinky. (If anyone knows of
another way to start compost heaps, or a nice place to get fresh cow/chook
poo in the middle of Sydney, I would like to know about it).

Horse and sheep poo isn't as well digested or as nitrogenous as the above
kinds, and can be applied directly to the garden. The down side is that it
can contain undigested weed seeds, which will germinate all over your garden.

The other issue is price. Cheap manure is good manure!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet