Old 19-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Chookie

Default How are the vegies, everyone?

I planted some more seedlings ahead of the supposed heavy rain, which has now
become showers, and by tomorrow will probably be occasional light showers...
sigh. Today I planted a few more punnets' worth of seeds, and did a bit of
direct sowing. Here's the list:

Mixed brassicas and a few lettuces (both seedlings and seeds)
Climbing snow peas
Spinach
Black Spanish radishes
Beetroot
Chives

Also, Global Garden Planting Guide said to plant seeds of:
Capsicum
Chilli
Tomato

So I did, but I wouldn't have bothered without my new heating pad. I've tried
planting seeds in punnets in Jul/Aug and they come up, but grow very, very
slowly, even in a warm sunny position. My later seedlings invariably overtake
them. We'll see what happens to this lot. I'm keen on early capsicums and
tomatoes as late ones cop fruit fly (apart from last year, when it was so dry
we didn't get fruit fly... or many tomatoes, because of lack of moisture!).

In the vegie patch, the rhubarb crowns have struck, broad beans are in flower,
and one trellis of peas is doing really well, though not yet flowering. The
brassicas have been very slow to grow (sunshine and warmth balanced out by
high winds and water restrictions). And there is heaps of parsley.

Pulled a few carrots out from a patch I planted last spring. OK, they're
painfully slow to grow and didn't look too flash, but the TASTE... even if
carrots are $1.60/kg, it's worth growing more. The new lot I planted aren't
up yet.

How are the other vegie patches going?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 20-07-2004, 03:06 AM
Ernie Gruijthuijsen

I'n in Melbourne in the Dandenong Ranges and I started at the end of
Autumn with a vegie patch. I had to build a little framework covered
with chook wire to keep the possums / wallabie / rabbits etc out. Before
that they ate all the seedlings and completely ravaged two young apple
trees.

Now my broad beans are half a metre high, as are the snow peas, but they
are a little bit slower, some broke their stems and had to start again.
The bok-choi that I grew from seed shot through this week so it ended up
pre-maturely in the stir fry. Still good but only small leaves. Some
things I can't recognise yet, all was planted from seeds, but I believe
to have 2 broccoli's, three brussel sprouts and some spinach. I have to
find yet the onions, celery and caulieflower, therefore I probably have
also some weeds that are very healthy looking.

It is drizzling here now, can't complain about water, we are on the
border of the Sherbrooke Forest in a micro-climate with a lot of ferns
and generally cope well on our tank water.

I have to dig a second patch and build another "cage" to allow me to
alternate the plots and plant seedlings early spring. But this winter we
will first put in bare rooted gooseberries and two grafted aplle trees
from Petty's Organic Orchard with old varieties on them.

It has been a while since I was growing vegies but it starts to come
back and now I've started again I'm keen to keep this up. Our compost
bin is full and squirming with wormies so the new plot will get a good
feed.

Ernie

Old 20-07-2004, 06:08 AM
Amy Lou

"Chookie" wrote in message
[...]

Well mine's a bit slow at the moment. I've got peas and onions peeping
through the soil and that is about it. I should get out and sow some spinach
and lettuce seeds. The sun is out today and it's not raining (we've had
heaps of rain lately) so I've got no excuse.

Winter makes me lazy. I should also be outside weeding and tidying up my
raspberry patch. Trouble is come summer, when the berries ripen, I run out
of water to give them. I give most of my greywater to the vegies.

Amy (in Tassie)

Old 20-07-2004, 06:08 AM
Geodyne

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:50:33 +1000, Chookie
wrote:

How are the other vegie patches going?

I have nothing but broad beans and parsnips in mine.

I had planned to sow a whole pile of solanums on a heat mat this
month, but I'm going to be away for all of August and somehow I doubt
they're going to get enough water. So everything is waiting until
September here, worse luck.

Geodyne

Old 20-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Chookie

In article ,
len gardener wrote:

mostly only grow the brassicas for winter as we live in rural and
water is sort of restricted all,the time unless it falls from the
heavens. someone in another forum mentioned that the sydney area was
booked for good rain this weekend and beyond, but when i checked the
sattelite & isobar pages on the bom site it looked a bit doubtful so
showers it turned out to be still that is better than what se/qld is
getting zilch.

We got a little bit, but not really enough. All the subsoil has dried out so
there isn't anything for the plants to grow on.

had some real big frosts this year and a cold front moved in one night
so all spuds and tomatoes etc.,. burnt to death. i get up early to
hose the frosts off but stop short at getting up in the middle of the
night for a cold front.

Winter arrived on Friday -- we also had a frost, and since then we've had
gale-force winds and the odd shower. Fine again today though. Migth nick out
to prune the roses next.

just yesterday i picked our best caullie to date

Looks fantastic -- we'll see if any of mine grow (all my autumn plantings were
cooked in the sun/wind or eaten by snails -- have yet to convince DH that we
need a few chooks).

Old 21-07-2004, 05:04 PM
MC

Hi everyone,

I have just put in a couple of small no-dig gardens - in Brisbane - using
lucerne below, cane hay on top and blood and bone and dynamic lifter through
the layers, and then planting seedlings into small patches of compost.

I have put in eggplant, tomatoes, corn, lettuce and zucchini. I'm probably a
bit early with some (all?) of these, but it does seem like a fairly warm
winter we are having and I thought I'd get a head-start on spring.

I've also probably planted some of these a little too close, but oh well,
time will tell and I'm only learning after all!

Cheers and happy patches to all,
Mick

Old 21-07-2004, 09:07 PM
len gardener

g'day mick,

a long time since i have seen a sheet mulch garden started, way to go
and too easy hey?

hey if you aren't getting any frosts and got good sun in the garden
area go for it you could be the first with summer season pickings,
it'll probably come back to how warm the planting medium is as to how
well the plants mature they may be slow but they are there for when
spring comes. don't worry about too close together we all do that even
after years the plants don't seem to mind.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 25-07-2004, 04:03 PM
MC

Thanks for the tips Len! The garden has been a breeze to set up and is
composting down nicely!

I have just had another HUGE day in the garden, after getting a heap of
(cheap) seedlings from the Caboolture Markets. I have put in 5 different
varieties of lettuce, some spinach, silverbeet, snow peas, beans, more
parsley, some marigolds and petunias for colour, and some squash.

Phew!!! Glad they're all in now ... and with no sign of frosts and nice warm
days (and nights) of late, I'm hoping for the best!

The other seedlings I put in about a week and a half ago are coming along
nicely - slow, but there are signs of steady growth there!

I must also add that I reckon (with my limited experience) the old blood and
bone must be one of the best fertilisers around - I spread some on my
parsely a couple of weeks ago and now they are the richest green colour I
have ever seen (in any plant!) and taste an absolute treat! I've had success
with it in other gardens also!

Cheers again,
Mick

"len gardener" wrote in message
news
g'day mick,

a long time since i have seen a sheet mulch garden started, way to go
and too easy hey?

hey if you aren't getting any frosts and got good sun in the garden
area go for it you could be the first with summer season pickings,
it'll probably come back to how warm the planting medium is as to how
well the plants mature they may be slow but they are there for when
spring comes. don't worry about too close together we all do that even
after years the plants don't seem to mind.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the
environment

Old 27-07-2004, 05:06 PM
MC

HELP! The possums have already discovered my patch and chewed / pulled a few
seedlings apart!!!

I have heard that some old loose/unstable fencing (about a meter high)
around the garden should deter them from the greenery within?!

Anyone had any succes with this or got any better ideas, as the fencing
really takes away from the beauty of the garden!

Cheers,
Mick

Old 28-07-2004, 12:03 AM
SG1

Would you loke a lend of Jess, my 4 1/2 year old Blue Cattle Dog. Looks good
in any garden except mine where she is trained to not be.
Jim

Old 28-07-2004, 01:04 AM
MC

G'day Jim,

That sounds like a great idea as a possum deterent!

I asked a bloke I met the other day what he does about the possums and he
replied, "It's called ratsak".

Hmmm ... I wasn't very impressed with that response (however tempting it
might be). As much as I want a beautiful, lush and productive garden, I just
don't value my plants that highly over the lives of a bunch of native
animals!

Cheers for the advice about your dog Jess though ... I might "borrow" my
mates dog ... hehehe.

Cheers,
Mick

Old 28-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Geodyne

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:48:06 +1000, "MC" surftravelATyahooDOTcom
wrote:

G'day Jim,

That sounds like a great idea as a possum deterent!

I asked a bloke I met the other day what he does about the possums and he
replied, "It's called ratsak".

Hmmm ... I wasn't very impressed with that response (however tempting it
might be). As much as I want a beautiful, lush and productive garden, I just
don't value my plants that highly over the lives of a bunch of native
animals!

A neighbour tried ratsack out of desperation once, many years
ago...he put a few pieces out, hoping to make the possums sick but not
dead.

They ate the bait and then asked for dessert. It didn't even give them
pause.

Geodyne

Old 28-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Geodyne

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:50:01 +1000, "MC" surftravelATyahooDOTcom
wrote:

Wow ... tough little buggers hey?! LOL

I've always said that when a nuclear strike happens, all that will be
left is the cockraoches and the possums. ;-)

Geodyne
Old 28-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Amy Lou

"MC" surftravelATyahooDOTcom wrote in message
HELP! The possums have already discovered my patch and chewed / pulled a

few
seedlings apart!!!

I have heard that some old loose/unstable fencing (about a meter high)
around the garden should deter them from the greenery within?!

Anyone had any succes with this or got any better ideas, as the fencing
really takes away from the beauty of the garden!

I use a possum trap. It cost around $100 new. All you do is put a half an
apple inside, set the trap and bingo next morning you have your culprit.
Then you take it for a little drive and drop it off somewhere. Of course in
a week or two another possum will find your patch of greenery and the cycle
continues. Works with cats too.

Amy

Vegies from seed Brerfox Australia 6 21-06-2005 10:18 AM
Eucalypts and vegies Timbo Australia 1 27-04-2005 10:29 AM
where did all those wild vegies go ? Michelle Texas 40 05-02-2004 04:02 PM
where did all those wild vegies go? Michelle Gardening 26 31-01-2004 06:42 PM
winter vegies Luke Australia 6 13-05-2003 03:32 PM