GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Camelias (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/80084-camelias.html)

Ivor 24-07-2004 06:06 AM

Camelias

We just had a concrete patio laid in the garden. Unfortunately, a lot of
concrete contaminated water was washed down into the garden beds,
particularly those of our camelias. I believe that that the alkallinty from
the concrete is bad for the soil and could adversely affect the root
systems. Any suggestions as to what we could do now?

Thanks,

Ivor

Jade 27-07-2004 01:04 AM

Camelias

Citric acid? You do want something to neutralise the acidity don't you? I
don't see how citric acid would harm them, it's a natural plant product...
we put it in bath bombs ourselves... nice warm fizzy bath.... mmmm....

Speaking of Camellias.... ours are absolutely choccas with buds!

Good luck, I am looking forward to hearing suggestions from others. Mine was
just a thought from the top of my head... I'm not sure I'd act on it right
away... but as a last resort, I'd use it to save some alkaline soils.

:0)
Jade.

u...

Jade 29-07-2004 12:10 AM

Camelias

oops I meant neutralise the soil... by adding acidity reducing alkalinity.
Nevermind.