Old 31-07-2004, 06:17 PM
andr0meda

Default quick growing bushy shrub for a container

Hi,
I am new here and a new gardener on the Gold Coast.
Have a lovely wrap-around yard with a few small courtyards of neighbouring
townhuses across the fence. I need something very bushy and tall, growing
fast in a large terracotta container to cover up one neighbur's ugly pergola
posts. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Andr0

Old 01-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Bushy

Lantana works quite well, would you like some for free?
I'll even lend you a spade to dig it out!
I have enough to cover all your neighbours back yards!
I'm near Gatton.
;)
Peter

p.s. Bring a trailer and I'll load it with my little tonka toy drott!

Old 01-08-2004, 11:54 AM
andr0meda

Hehe,
This is a lovely offer indeed! Thankyou
One problem is that I don't know where Gatton is. Also, Have no trailer or
an available 'bloke' to help me. What a shame, I would really love some of
the lantanna.
But Thanks a lot for a great advice, I will check it out and probably get
some if it grows in pots.
Best Regards,
Andr0

Old 01-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Rod Out back

"Bushy" wrote in message
Lantana works quite well, would you like some for free?
I'll even lend you a spade to dig it out!
I have enough to cover all your neighbours back yards!
I'm near Gatton.
;)
Peter

p.s. Bring a trailer and I'll load it with my little tonka toy drott!

You nasty, nasty man!

Funny, but nasty...

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

P.S. I have some lovely Parkinsonia trees, as well as a few Mesquite trees
available at no charge as well. I'll also supply them free of charge! A bit
further than Gatton(Longreach), so see how the Lantana goes before you try
some of my offerings...

Old 01-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Bushy

Are you pretty? ;)

I'll drop some off for you next time I drop down to the coast and visit Mum.

Gatton is west of Brisbane on the highway to Toowoomba. It's about three
hours drive from my farm to anywhere on the Gold Coast.

Peter

Old 02-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Charmaine Byrne

Lantana is on the banned list. So you will have to keep the bushes you have
got.
Charmaine.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:30 PM
MC

I read recently that lantana was quite alright for cooler areas of Australia
(NSW, VIC etc.) and was only a 'pest' in warmer areas, where it can possibly
grow out of control?!

Cheers,
Mick

Old 05-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Chookie

In article , "MC" surftravelATyahooDOTcom
wrote:

I read recently that lantana was quite alright for cooler areas of Australia
(NSW, VIC etc.) and was only a 'pest' in warmer areas, where it can possibly
grow out of control?!

Well, whoever wrote that about NSW doesn't know what they're talking about.
Lantana was (and probably still is) a huge problem in the Minnamurra
Rainforest, on the NSW South Coast, and I've seen it in bushland around Sydney
too. Nasty, nasty stuff.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 06-08-2004, 01:37 AM
Terry Collins

MC wrote:

I read recently that lantana was quite alright for cooler areas of Australia
(NSW, VIC etc.) and was only a 'pest' in warmer areas, where it can possibly
grow out of control?!

Right! What were they on at the time? Or did you pay them money?

I was lost in a valley of Lantana once around Gosford for most of a day.
Well, we knew where we are, but that shortcut wasn't {:-). It is a major
invasive weed as it chokes out evertyhing it can cover.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:49 AM
MC

Hmmm ... ok then, not sure where I read that (online somewhere), but maybe
it was in the context of small gardens / container gardens???

Mick

Old 06-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Terry Collins

MC wrote:

Hmmm ... ok then, not sure where I read that (online somewhere), but maybe
it was in the context of small gardens / container gardens???

Well, you've actually hit the nail on the head and highlighted the real
problem. People who dump garden plants in the bush. Some of them just
get away and are a major problem.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:24 PM
MC

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Well, you've actually hit the nail on the head and highlighted the real
problem. People who dump garden plants in the bush. Some of them just
get away and are a major problem.

Yeah, fair enough ... I can see how that could become a problem! Cheers,

Mick

Old 07-08-2004, 01:40 AM
BCL

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:49:06 +1000, "MC" surftravelATyahooDOTcom
wrote:

Hmmm ... ok then, not sure where I read that (online somewhere), but maybe
it was in the context of small gardens / container gardens???

Mick

I can't understand it, it is not as if lantana is a very nice looking
plant.

Regards
Bruce

www.bcl.id.au