Old 11-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Registered User

Location: Brisbane, Australia
Question does anyone have any tips?

Ok well after nearly a year of thinking about it, I have finally decided to start a vegi patch, but unfortunatly I am sorta a plant killer hehehe, well not so much a plant killer, my parsley on my window sill has survived, but then it has only been a few months since I started growing it hehehe.
Anyway to the point, I was looking for any tips that people could give me, I live just south of Brissy so am semi-topical, I'm starting to collect some seeds, but so far I only have carrots and corn, I am thinking of getting tomato, cucumber, capsicum, and maybe some pumpkin if I can manage enough room to spare.
Are there any plants I should totally avoid in my area, or plants that grow really well here?
I did grow some alpha alpha once at school in a stocking, lol, I think that and my parsley are the only things I have ever really grown, oh wait there was a cactus, but you have to be really bad to those suckers to kill them lol...
Old 11-08-2004, 08:11 PM
len gardener

Default does anyone have any tips?

g'day witchy mama,

you can pretty much grow what your heart desires.

i would suggest using raised beds! cuts down on the toil. my raised
beds are run as 'weed-free', 'no-dig' & 'water-wise'.

pumpkins don't need to take over the vines can be trained around and
around the growing mound or you can grow them up over a trellis, which
could be an old bed base or piece or reinforcing mesh. you may have to
make a sling to support the maturing fruit but that is easy using old
panty hose.

if you want to save your own seeds you will need to buy open
pollinated seeds, most of the common seeds are hybrids. brands like
eden seeds (available in most health shops) are the ones to look for.

look in my garden page at my site i show how i do my raised beds, too
easy.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:47 PM
SG1

http://www.thevegetablepatch.com/

A helpful site that should suit your geographic location.

Jim