Old 30-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Christopher Smith

Default Help! Corymbia Maculata (Spotted Gum) Advice Needed

I have a Corymbia Maculata (Spotted Gum) growing in my back yard, about
10m from the house. It was basically self sown (although I have no idea
where the seed may have come from) and is growing like topsy. It could
be quite stunning just where it is, but ... is it too close to the
house?

I have other trees nearby. There is an almond (not in the same league
as far as height is concerned), a palm of some description (about
8-10m) and a Chinese Elm (which is still quite young, but they can grow
to about 15m). So it is not standing by itself and has some protection
from the wind.

What are people thoughts? Is there any way of limiting itıs height? Is
it likely to drop branches? Is there a rule of thumb for how close a
tree may be grown to avoid problems?

I would hate to rip it out as they are one of my favourite trees, but
if it is going to be a problem I would rather take it out now and put
in something better suited.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 30-08-2004, 09:40 PM
len gardener

g'day christopher,

the rule of theumb is the mature height of the tree +50%. for me i
wouldn't want any of the eucalypts in the spotted gum range anywhere
closer than 30 or 40 meters, they do drop branches litterally at the
drop of a hat and branches in a storms can break off and be blown
through the air for varying distances.

any of the large eucalypt family corymbia as well are not realy suited
as suburban garden trees, they need to be in the wide open spaces for
safety. even then be careful when passing under one and never picnic
under one there is generally very little warning when a tree and a
branch are going to part company.

if you lop it all you will end up with is all the new growth which is
even more prone to breaking off.

my advice get rid of it and plant something more suburbia friendly.

take care

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 31-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Christopher Smith

In article , len gardener
wrote:

my advice get rid of it and plant something more suburbia friendly.

I had the feeling that would be the way of things.

Many thanks for the advice - it will be shovel pruned this weekend