Old 05-09-2004, 02:21 AM
len gardener

Default shindaiwa brushcutter observation

having sold and serviced these sorts of machines etc.,. for a good
many years, it's not until you use them in certain situations that
some of their design weeknesses show up.

my last brushcutter was a jonsered, now i'm not talking power units
i'm talking about the gear box end of the business. i know own a
shindaiwa.

the shindaiwa has a very annoying design fault with it's gear box
strandy type grasses wind up around very rapidly and very often no
matter what aproach i used, this event happens less rapidly with steel
blades fixed than it does when the nylon trimmer head attached that is
deadly for winding up grass around the head so tight and virtually
bringing the machine to a stop so you have to then stop and clear the
mess.

now even with a 12" 3 pointed star type steel head that i was using to
trim around young trees i needed to clear the mess between each tree
and in some cases twice for each tree, that realy messes up getting
the job done quickly.

i have used the jonsered in these conditions and yes it will twist up
at times but nowhere near as often as the shindaiwa, and never with a
steel blade on that i can recall.

so my opinion is if you are looking to cut longer thicker type
strandy/stringy grasses look to the design of the gear box. if i can
explain it to some degree the jonsered box has the flange that goes
between attachments and the box as a moulded part of the box, on the
shindaiwa this part is part of the rotating mechanism, and it is
around this and up around the box that the grass all twists up.

this may help others in future purchases, used in normal domestic
purposes where things are continually trimmed the shidaiwa will
perform along with all the others, but in rural or heavier type work
it has short comings.

enjoy the summer

len

--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Andrew G

"len gardener" wrote in message
having sold and serviced these sorts of machines etc.,. for a good
many years, it's not until you use them in certain situations that
some of their design weeknesses show up.

SNIP

Funny you mention this.
The local council has changed from stihl to shindaiwa, and a mate of mine
did mention a similar problem that you mentioned, but with the line heads.
I've found the stihl brushcutters to be quite good, and only 2 weeks ago we
couldn't figure out why the heads were clogging up when pruning the foxtails
at work with a 3 pointed star head, when the day before they were fine. It
was the dew on them. Other than that the stihls did not fail in the
foxtails.
Then again they do have a small disc that you put on to stop the grass
getting between the top of the cutting head and the flange of the rotating
shaft.
I have a stihl brushcutter, overkill but cheap to buy.
Only gripe I have with stihl is most of it's equipment seems to bog down
once started cold. By that I mean you start it when cold, try feed a little
gas on, and it's like it bogs down/floods, and dies.
Brushcutters, chainsaw and hedge trimmers all do it at work. But maybe it is
due to the fact we are running them at 25:1 when it's suggested 50:1 with
the stihl oil. But then it does leave a little room for error for some of
the misfits at work :-)

Cheers
Andrew

Old 05-09-2004, 08:54 PM
len gardener

g'day andrew,

they are all designed different down the gear box end, like i say the
jonsered system looks ans works very well. also i couldn't ever use
the tap-n-go head as the big plastic shroud on the shindaiwa gets in
the raod and it has a permament place for when the tap-n-go is used,
silly thing realy. i had to move the shroud about 12"s further up the
shaft so it wouldn't foul in the longer grass i get to trim, i still
use my old manual head from the jonsered.

yeh shidaiwa recomment 50:1 mix i ran it in on 25:1 and currently run
it on a mix 1/2 way between app' 37:1, but i like your idea of 25:1
regardless. the shind' uses noticably more fuel than the jonsered so
my thinking is that they ahven't realy put any research into
developing an engine that requires less oil they have just jetted up
the carby to run a richer mix in the crankcase.

so the 50:1 makes them look more earth friendly, the way i see it 2
strokes are on the way out so why would any manufacturer be it of
engines or oil waste research dollars on improving the polluting
factor of 2 strokes (silly realy when you look at all those jets and
diesel trucks one would wonder how much dirty air the few 2 strokes in
the world would create chuckle).

len

snipped

Old 08-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Andrew G

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day andrew,

SOME PARTS SNIPPED

yeh shidaiwa recomment 50:1 mix i ran it in on 25:1 and currently run
it on a mix 1/2 way between app' 37:1, but i like your idea of 25:1
regardless. the shind' uses noticably more fuel than the jonsered so
my thinking is that they ahven't realy put any research into
developing an engine that requires less oil they have just jetted up
the carby to run a richer mix in the crankcase.

Basically we go with 25:1 just in case someone puts straight fuel in by
accident.
Hopefully if there is some mixed 25:1 in the tank, then that added straight
fuel may not do any, or as much damage as if it were 50:1 in the tank.

so the 50:1 makes them look more earth friendly, the way i see it 2
strokes are on the way out so why would any manufacturer be it of
engines or oil waste research dollars on improving the polluting
factor of 2 strokes (silly realy when you look at all those jets and
diesel trucks one would wonder how much dirty air the few 2 strokes in
the world would create chuckle).

The thing I don't get is I heard some of the new four strokes still run 2
stroke mix (some whippers?). Ok, I've heard of some dirt bikes having the
same setup, where a feeder sends out oil stored in a separate tank to the
fuel.
Ok, it may get rid of the sound of a 2 stroke, but just as much air
pollution IMO.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment

Old 08-09-2004, 08:44 PM
len gardener

g'day andrew,

just a bit more on the more oil mix, my neighbour is a tree lopper
uses sthil saws, he tunes them a little on the rich side and runs more
than the 25:1 recommendation her runs about 20:1 this gives him longer
engine life. i reckon it doesn't matter if they puff a bit of bluey
coloured smoke while idling (idling not the best part of a 2 strokes
life) so long as the smoke all but dissapears when using working revs
which for b/cutters is about max.

yes i have heard of the 4 strokes with oil in the mix or oil blender,
sthil have one in their brushcutter very expensive, and yes to me it
just doesn't make sense as it is the oil mixing in the fuel that is
the polluting aspect, so can't see any benefit in the technology at
all. be like adding 2 stroke oil to our cars hey?

len

snipped