Old 05-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Dave

Default How much soil required for a squiggly gum?

I have a sloping rock garden with about 40cm of soil covering a rock
shelf... its really the only place in the garden I can put a tree for some
summer shade so I'd like to put a 8-10 metre squiggly gum in there (to match
an existing one) if at all possible.

I'm worried however that the root ball/roots won't have enough room. The
soil is right over the rock shelf, so the roots can wander as far as they
like and within about 3 metres from where I'd like to plant it the soil will
be a good 2 metres deep at least, but basically my question is whether or
not the first big storm will knock the tree over once it gets larger.

(I can't plant it directly where the soil is deeper as it will be in the
way... and the other squiggly gum is in deeper soil on the side of the rock
shelf)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave.

Old 06-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Bushy

Roots will find their way around most rocks quite happily, but remember the
tree wants a root structure that is almost a mirror image of the green bits
above the ground. Have a look at some of the old druid dawings sometime,
they knew about this many years ago when everyone was a farmer of types.

I have a farm in SE Qld, with a lot of side of the mountain rock and cliffs,
a lot of various gum trees and they grow quite happily on the edge of a
cliff bank. If more water is available, they grow well on the top edge, but
if less water, the bottom of the back works well.

The ones that get there roots down to the water table near the creek just
get bigger and bigger!

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old 06-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Dave

"Bushy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Peter.

I think I'll just plant it and see how it goes - its far enough away from
the house and everything so that even if it did blow over in 5 years time
its not going to fall on anything anyway (assuming no-ones under it if it
falls!).

Ciao,
Dave.