Old 06-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Jade

Default URGENT - maybe.... February flowers

Have I missed the boat for planting plants that flower in February? Long
stems would be appreciated. Also...
What flowers bloom in February? (I'm trying to talk my partner into a
February wedding... he's a bit of a marriage phobe, so it may not come to
pass) I would love it if the centre-pieces were all grown by family and
friends, and of course me, thus saving money, and imparting a personal touch
on the flowers. :0)
Jade.

--

/\ /\
/ \/ |

Old 08-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Jade" Jade_at_Jaywings_dot_com wrote:

Have I missed the boat for planting plants that flower in February? Long
stems would be appreciated. Also...
What flowers bloom in February? (I'm trying to talk my partner into a
February wedding... he's a bit of a marriage phobe, so it may not come to
pass)

With most annuals, the blooms come X weeks after planting, so I don't htink
you have missed the boat. What you can grow depends on where you live. For
perennials, think of roses, hibiscus, gardenia.

Two reasons not to get married in February:
1. It's too darn hot to enjoy it.
2. The bloke's not keen (and if he's already a Partner, what's being married
going to do for you?). Nagging him into it isn't a good start to wedded bliss.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 09-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Jade

I live in Brisbane.
I'll take the heat into account... we were thinking of having it at a nice
outdoor shady venue... He was interested in the beach, and I like parks and
lakes. Perhaps an afternoon wedding, after it has started to cool off. With
a back up indoor venue, because it may storm. :0) That'd be fantastic.
After 4 years (50mths this month) it's either now or never. I think if he's
already my partner, why not get married? He's always known it was important
to me. Already made some commitment... now lets make it official, in front
of family and friends. He's been dragging his heels far too long, and we're
not getting any younger.
Jem.
PS:How far in advance would I have to plant flowers? 3, 4 mths? I was hoping
to use them as a centrepiece.

Old 10-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Jade

Sounds great. I think the day may have to be Feb 12th now.
Sure it's hot, so perhaps outside in the middle of the day wont be a good
idea. What venues could you suggest? I thought of the botanical gardens, and
that seems fine, but there's no nearby back up point in case it rains. Also,
the gardens restraunt is VERY expensive for receptions, so perhaps not the
best place to go. Of course I don't mind travelling to the reception
somewhere else.
Do you have any ideas? I thought perhaps the broncos leagues club could be
ok, but am yet to check prices. I know somewhere that can cater for a decent
price too, and was thinking a gourmet BBQ may be the way to go. What do you
recon?
:0)
Jade.

Hi Jade,

Congrats on the wedding! I just wanted to say that I also live in Brissy,
and one beautiful spot to have a wedding (since you like the idea of

parks)
might be the Botanic Gardens at Mt Coot-tha?! They have a few great grassy
spots that are nice and shady by a beautiful stream/pond and I'm sure

there
would be something blooming in the gardens to add some colour to the day

(as
well as your own flowesr hopefully of course)! Check it out!

Cheers,
Mick