Old 09-09-2004, 06:41 AM
Nicholas Steel

Default What is the best fertiliser?

Some time ago I was in a nursery and had selected a bottle of Maxicrop
to buy.

A nursery staff member saw this and told me that he used to work for
the council and had a lot of experience spraying plants with
fertilisers. he siad that Maxictop was nowhere near as effctive as
Nitrosol.

This made me think that perphaps all fertilsers are not the same.

Your comments/experiences/rankings on the list below would be most
welcome.

Aquasol
Nitrosol
Seasol
Thrive
Miraclegro
Maxicrop
Osmicote
Dynamic Lifter
Blood and Bone
Old 09-09-2004, 09:53 AM
blank

"Nicholas Steel" wrote in message
om...
Some time ago I was in a nursery and had selected a bottle of Maxicrop
to buy.

A nursery staff member saw this and told me that he used to work for
the council and had a lot of experience spraying plants with
fertilisers. he siad that Maxictop was nowhere near as effctive as
Nitrosol.

This made me think that perphaps all fertilsers are not the same.

Your comments/experiences/rankings on the list below would be most
welcome.

Aquasol
Nitrosol
Seasol
Thrive
Miraclegro
Maxicrop
Osmicote
Dynamic Lifter
Blood and Bone

It isn't really helpful to rank your list without an idea of the purpose of
the fertilizer. It's horses for courses with ferts. Various products are
aimed at producing a variety of short, medium and long term results. So any
ranking would be without relevance.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:49 PM
MC

Hi,

I only use organic ferts. I have used dynamic lifter for the few yrs I have
gardened and had ok results (it's a bit hard to tell how effective it is, as
it's a slow release fert. - is that right? I'm no expert!). However, last
spring, and again this year, I have used blood and bone and it has made a
DRAMATIC difference to the size, health etc of my vegie's and flowers!!! Mix
in some solphate of potash and they tell me you have a great all-round
fertiliser! That's what I have done and I am now an avid B & B user! (At
least where the vegies are concerned, particularly early after planting or
even before planting!)

Cheers,
Mick

Old 09-09-2004, 04:53 PM
MC

I have alo got some good results recently using "Organix" liquid
fertilisers! One is called 4 Vital and the other ... can't remember ... it's
a general liquid fertiliser anyway!

Get 'em fairly cheap at Big-W ... 10 x the price at some nursuries!

Cheers,
Mick

Old 10-09-2004, 01:26 PM
andr0meda

Today, somebody was highly recommending to me the virtues of elephant
manure....we often have a circus visiting here. You can go and collect the
poo free of charge.
Andr0

Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Andrew G

"Nicholas Steel" wrote in message
om...
Some time ago I was in a nursery and had selected a bottle of Maxicrop
to buy.

A nursery staff member saw this and told me that he used to work for
the council and had a lot of experience spraying plants with
fertilisers. he siad that Maxictop was nowhere near as effctive as
Nitrosol.

This made me think that perphaps all fertilsers are not the same.

Your comments/experiences/rankings on the list below would be most
welcome.

We have tried various ferts at work on both grass and plants, and probably
the most noticeable change was of course chook poo and Ammonium Nitrate on
grass.
Still I will try give my opinions on the ones you have mentioned, purely
from experience.
However I do agree with another poster here that blood and bone seems to be
very effective

Aquasol

Can destroy good organisms in the soil, but if anything like MIracle grow
gives plants a good boost.

Nitrosol

Nevert tried it

Seasol

I haven't noticed much difference in plants that have used it compared to
others that have gone without.

Thrive

Never tried

Miraclegro

I had some Day Lilies, small that were root bound grown from pups, potted
them up into larger pots, good potting mix, and over a period of about
9months they didn't grow much in size at all. I put it down to them
originally being rootbound. Not even Dynamic lifter long life pushed them
along. Gave them to my parents, one hit with Miracle grow, and within about
2 weeks they literally doubled in size.

Maxicrop

We noticed no change in plants it was used on at work.

Osmicote

I use it, but not sure how good it is.

Dynamic Lifter

Good for lawn, but that's all I'd use it for

Blood and Bone

This I have noticed a difference on Azaleas and Camellias at work

We have also used Nutri-gro (organic fert and pesticide), Nitro Fert (like a
liquid chook poo, so it looks and smells like) with no results noticebly
visible. No doubt they do something good, as they all have nutrients, but a
quick read of the NPK sometimes reveal all low figures for levels of each
nutrient. But really not visible to the naked eye.
Guess really a good way to test would be buy a punnet of annuals, divide up
and try different ferts. Something I might actually do myself now I have a
collection of ferts here at home.
Really I guess it all depends on what you are after. A lush growth,
flowering etc. IMO in regards to NPK you want high in Nitrogen and Potassium
as they will affect the most noticeable parts of a plant, growth and
flowers. The Phosphorous is good for roots but I think it's pretty much not
needed apart from naturally occuring P in the growing media as if you get
good plant growth the roots will follow, unless you are growing bonsai.
I think Miracle grow is great personally but wouldn't use it more than once
a month max and try get good waterings between uses to flush soil.
Good luck

Old 14-09-2004, 06:08 AM
BCL

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:35:45 +1000, "Andrew G"
wrote:

Dynamic Lifter

Good for lawn, but that's all I'd use it for

Why? Isn't it just Chicken poo? doesn't it do anything for shrubs or
other plants?

Personally the lawn is the one thing I never fertilise because I
certainly don't want to encourage it to grow. Mowing and painting are
two activities I try to do as little as possible.

Regards
Bruce

best flower fertiliser stuart noble United Kingdom 7 12-03-2012 07:04 PM
Best Fertiliser Jack United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
fertiliser papa United Kingdom 2 26-02-2003 12:00 AM
Manure and Fertiliser Bart United Kingdom 9 16-02-2003 12:11 AM
Fertiliser burn ss Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 07:25 PM