Old 14-09-2004, 06:03 AM
BCL

Default When to Spray?

I was busily spraying the gardener's best friend (Roundup) along the
fence and various other places when it occurred to me to wonder if it
is more effective sprayed in the morning or evening or even mid day.

I have had (rare) occasions when the spray has had little effect on
the weeds/grass and wonder if the plants absorb it better at some time
rather than others. This doesn't include it being washed off by rain.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Bruce
Old 14-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Chookie

In article ,
BCL wrote:

I was busily spraying the gardener's best friend (Roundup) along the
fence and various other places when it occurred to me to wonder if it
is more effective sprayed in the morning or evening or even mid day.

I have had (rare) occasions when the spray has had little effect on
the weeds/grass and wonder if the plants absorb it better at some time
rather than others. This doesn't include it being washed off by rain.

I use Roundup when the dew is gone, so midday rather than morning or evening.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 14-09-2004, 01:07 PM
blank

"BCL" wrote in message
I was busily spraying the gardener's best friend (Roundup) along the
fence and various other places when it occurred to me to wonder if it
is more effective sprayed in the morning or evening or even mid day.

I have had (rare) occasions when the spray has had little effect on
the weeds/grass and wonder if the plants absorb it better at some time
rather than others. This doesn't include it being washed off by rain.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Bruce

It is generally best to spray in the morning, before the leaves get too
warm, because they then close their stomata (pores on the underside of the
leaves) which it is commonly thought is how plants take up nutrients.

Old 15-09-2004, 04:05 AM
Bushy

"blank" wrote in message

"BCL" wrote in message
I was busily spraying the gardener's best friend (Roundup) along the
fence and various other places when it occurred to me to wonder if it
is more effective sprayed in the morning or evening or even mid day.

I have had (rare) occasions when the spray has had little effect on
the weeds/grass and wonder if the plants absorb it better at some time
rather than others. This doesn't include it being washed off by rain.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Bruce

It is generally best to spray in the morning, before the leaves get too
warm, because they then close their stomata (pores on the underside of the
leaves) which it is commonly thought is how plants take up nutrients.

If I'm killing a paddock with the boom spray on the tractor, I'll do it at
sparrow fart in the morning while there is no wind and there is a nice dew
that the weed will suck in during the morning. That way it gets a good dose
and it gets distributed really well right through the growing parts. I can
see the tracks behind me easily and cover more ground with the same amount
of poison. If it rained in the past few days and the weeds are growing wild
I get an even better kill, but if the ground is dry and the weeds are slow
and dry, the roundup is not as good. Lantana shooting back fresh after a
burn and a rain is easy meat!

If I'm wandering around with the garden sprayer with the modified water
pistol like spray, I tend to do it in the late afternoon when the wind
drops. The grass is nice to wander around in a pair of thongs and I can
clean up fence lines and spot spray around the paddock.

Next trick I'm planning on is to add a dribbler to my slasher so I can clean
up some areas quickly prior to planting.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old 20-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Andrew G

"BCL" wrote in message
I was busily spraying the gardener's best friend (Roundup) along the
fence and various other places when it occurred to me to wonder if it
is more effective sprayed in the morning or evening or even mid day.

I have had (rare) occasions when the spray has had little effect on
the weeds/grass and wonder if the plants absorb it better at some time
rather than others. This doesn't include it being washed off by rain.

Any thoughts?

We always spray in the morning at work.
1) Because for greens it's before the golfers get out.
2) In summer it's a common job
Weed spraying in gardens starts in the morning and runs all day when weeds
are growing well.
We have not noticed any difference in times. A heavy dew means we may waste
a little more chemical on weeds as you feel the need to "wash" off the dew
with the chemical.
As long as the weeds are actively growing, aren't wilting from drought,
aren't covered in dust (for roundup esp) or aren't waterlogged, there
shouldn't be too much difference.
But yeah, we have sprayed in quite hot weather, sometimes mid 30's and the
roundup works well.
I too have noticed roundup seems to have different effect. In fact once I
noticed how much better it worked at home than at work. A couple of guys had
to go get their spray ticket and were told using dam water for mixing isn't
good. We changed at work to tap water, and it did seem to work better.
Maybe the water you used was dirty?
Other than that, no idea, out of date chemical?

Regards
Bruce

Dormant Spray/Oil? was Maryland roses R & L Porter Roses 3 01-02-2005 06:39 PM
Dormant spray R & L Porter Roses 6 10-02-2003 03:55 PM
How, when and why to apply dormant spray. Allegra Roses 2 09-02-2003 10:55 PM
How, when and why to apply dormant spray. Allegra Roses 6 05-02-2003 11:34 PM
How, when and why to apply dormant spray. Allegra Roses 0 03-02-2003 07:57 PM