Old 18-09-2004, 03:44 AM
andr0meda

Default Thanks to Len for 'white oil'

Thanks, Len!
I think your white oil is great.
This morning I found my small Kaffir lime tree swarming with something that
looked like black aphids.
Quick, find white oil!
I sprayed liberally, but it actually was finished by then, and I needed
more. So, I mixed some of Len's, and....wow! it coates leaves well, also,
washes down all dead bugs unlike the commercial one, which wouldn't) . The
only observation....please make sure to put some old newspapers or other
absorbing stuff under the tree, as it is easy to get carried away and
spray...too much.
I did, and I now thank my nursery lady for making me mulch under the tree
when I planted it, and to put seven layers of newspapers under the mulch
first. That might have absorbed the copious amounts of vegetable oil that
would have went down the tree into the soil.

The aphids came with the tree from the nursery I saw them on another tree
nearby when I was picking up mine, and made it known to the nursery staff. I
thought mine was clean, and the bugs didn't show up for ...two months after.
Well, I hope I killed them all (and I will watch it) because I have 3 more
citrus nearby that I don't want them to pick up this 'plague'.

Regards,
Andr0

Old 19-09-2004, 01:36 AM
len gardener

g'day andrOmeda,

great to see gardeners having success with home made products. as you
are using a vegetable oile any that falls to the ground will be
biodegradable and be broken down by the worms etc.,. especially if you
have a layer of mulch.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 19-09-2004, 11:11 AM
andr0meda

Hey! This sounds better still!
)
Andr0

......using a vegetable oile any that falls to the ground will be
biodegradable and be broken down by the worms etc.,. especially if you
have a layer of mulch.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment

Old 22-09-2004, 01:45 AM
len gardener

g'day whitememphis,

the recipe can be found on my remedies page on my web site listed
below my signature line.

len

snipped

Old 23-09-2004, 11:37 PM
whiteMemphis

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day whitememphis,

the recipe can be found on my remedies page on my web site listed
below my signature line.

thanks len, lots of good stuff there, have put it in my favourites.