Old 26-09-2004, 02:18 AM
knll

Default Pests on my Golden Cane Palm Brisbane QLD

Can anyone help me ID this pest & recommend suitable treatment.

I have tried to use google, but have not been able to find anything.

This is really a crude description; the pest looks line those
barnacles you get on rocks at the beach.

They are only 2-3 mm diameter and 1-2mm high, shaped like a shell and
are 'suckered' onto the leaves of my Golden Cane palms. They are
coloured grey, with a rough textured look on the outside. There are
hundreds of them throughout the clump.

Thanks for any help in identifying this pest.
Old 26-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Staycalm

Does it look/sound like scale?
http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Articles/pests.html
http://www.deh.gov.au/coasts/mpa/cor...ges/image4.jpg

Liz

om...

Old 26-09-2004, 09:39 AM
len gardener

g'day knll,

sounds like scale to me, look for ants they have a symbiotic
relationship, there is a homemade white oil recipe on my remedies page
or use clear white oils at app' 25% recommended rate, liberally spray
infected areas, after the heat of the sun if the plants are in the
garden if they are in pots keep them out of direct sun until treatment
is complete. followup spraying may be needed, aldo you can cut off all
infested fronds to help treatment the palms will survive.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 26-09-2004, 11:32 AM
knll

"Staycalm" wrote in message . au...

Does it look/sound like scale?
http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Articles/pests.html
http://www.deh.gov.au/coasts/mpa/cor...ges/image4.jpg

Liz

Yes, it is scale. Thanks for that.

I was a bit lost trying to find it on the internet when I didn't even
know what to call it. My searches turned up so many blind leads.

Anyway, Time to head down to shops and getting that 'maldison' or
'dimethoate' to treat my palms.

Old 28-09-2004, 05:44 AM
knll

len gardener wrote in message . ..

sounds like scale to me, look for ants they have a symbiotic
relationship, there is a homemade white oil recipe on my remedies page
or use clear white oils at app' 25% recommended rate, liberally spray
infected areas, after the heat of the sun if the plants are in the
garden if they are in pots keep them out of direct sun until treatment
is complete. followup spraying may be needed, aldo you can cut off all
infested fronds to help treatment the palms will survive.

Good website len, I'll have a bit of reading to do.

I will try your recipe before I get the other stuff. There are quite a
few natives in my garden, despite it being in inner city Brisbane,
that I would hesitate to throw too much chemicals around.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:43 AM
len gardener

exactly john,

especially palms and ferns very sensative to white oil burn, but i
always recomment 25% the recommended rate and applied after the heat
of the sun, and with palms and ferns the new un-infested fronds soon
replace the damaged ones, the only other option destroy the plant.

len

snipped

Old 03-10-2004, 12:31 PM
knll

John Savage wrote in message news:041002000095304.02Oct04$rookswood@suburbian. com...

Too many people come to grief with white oil for it to
be applied without an initial test application, IMHO. I'm not sure of
the exact mechanism, but it seems that the oil makes the leaves become
very sensitive to sunlight. Then should the plant be exposed to strong
sun during this vulnerable period, it may experience massive leaf drop.

Whoah... My palms are in direct sunlight morning till mid afternoon.
Lucky I had not sprayed them yet.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:54 PM
len gardener

i've always applied white oil after the heat of the sun so that by the
next day when the sun comes around again the product is not so
volatile and damage is very much reduced or minimal to say the least.
but in the end the pests have to be controlled and unless you are
going to cut off all the fronds then pick off all the bugs that appear
what else is there? the plant will recover from any damage from
treatment it may not recover from the bugs if left unchecked. oh and
if it is scale look for ants you will need to move them on as well if
you want treatment to be permanent.

len

snipped

Old 04-10-2004, 01:29 AM
knll

len gardener wrote in message . ..

oh and
if it is scale look for ants you will need to move them on as well if
you want treatment to be permanent.

No, there are no presence of ants, but there are some other pests such
as grasshoppers and a green caterpilla. They are doing more damage to
the palms though, eating away at the frond leaves.

Is your white oil also an effective remedy for these, or should I just
pick them off / spray them with some insecticide?

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:11 AM
len gardener

grass hoopers and caterpillas are another thing but my experience is
you don't have scale without ants even out here in the bush. for me i
used to pick the hoppers etc.,. of and kill them.

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.

Golden Cane Palm - Separating Bertiesmum Australia 0 11-05-2006 01:35 AM
Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 02:11 AM
Golden Cane Palms eurekaoz Australia 7 15-05-2005 06:15 PM
golden Cane Palms kyte Australia 5 06-10-2003 10:23 AM
best way to kill golden cane palm? rapdor Australia 2 20-04-2003 02:44 PM