Old 28-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Staycalm

Default Fig trees

What conditions do figs like? We have a fig tree down the back of our yard
in Northern Melbourne. It's maybe 3 metres tall. Was here when we moved in 3
years ago. It's never produced fruit. I'm contemplating getting rid of it if
it's not going to ever fruit as it's in a garden bed where I'd like to plant
more veg. What do you think?

Liz

Old 01-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Amy Lou

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
What conditions do figs like? We have a fig tree down the back of our yard
in Northern Melbourne. It's maybe 3 metres tall. Was here when we moved in

3
years ago. It's never produced fruit. I'm contemplating getting rid of it

if
it's not going to ever fruit as it's in a garden bed where I'd like to

plant
more veg. What do you think?

Heh heh. We have a very old fig tree in our garden and we sell the fruit
(they are very popular I must add) for 40 cents each. Figs are hard to come
by in the shops so we have a steady supply of folk wanting to buy them from
us. We have fig trees that are much less than 3 metres tall and they have
fruit. Perhaps your fig tree is an ornamental one?

Amy

Old 01-10-2004, 02:45 PM
uper

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:27:57 +1000, Staycalm wrote:

What conditions do figs like? We have a fig tree down the back of our yard
in Northern Melbourne. It's maybe 3 metres tall. Was here when we moved in 3
years ago. It's never produced fruit. I'm contemplating getting rid of it if
it's not going to ever fruit as it's in a garden bed where I'd like to plant
more veg. What do you think?

Liz

Why not ask the neighbours ? They may know the trees history

Old 02-10-2004, 02:00 AM
John Savage

"Staycalm" writes:
What conditions do figs like? We have a fig tree down the back of our yard
in Northern Melbourne. It's maybe 3 metres tall. Was here when we moved in 3
years ago. It's never produced fruit. I'm contemplating getting rid of it if
it's not going to ever fruit as it's in a garden bed where I'd like to plant
more veg. What do you think?

But has the fig ever flowered? Maybe you are just missing the tiny wasp
about 3mm in length that is needed for pollination?

A web search will get you more detailed information than I can give,
but being a Mediterranean plant they like sunshine and heat, good
drainage, water and chook poo. Figs did well where I grew up, and
despite hot dry summers we would get a couple of dozen frosts during
winter. They seem to be a hardy tree, though this may differ from one
variety to another.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:23 PM
John Savage

"Amy Lou" writes:
Heh heh. We have a very old fig tree in our garden and we sell the fruit
(they are very popular I must add) for 40 cents each. Figs are hard to come
by in the shops so we have a steady supply of folk wanting to buy them from
us.

And a just as dependable supply of birds wanting their share for nix?

Anyway, at 40c each you are practically giving them away! $1 each would
be closer to market value I reckon.

Carpobrotus Edulis AKA Ice Plant, Hottentot Fig, Kaffir Fig Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 24-03-2010 07:54 AM
fig trees ....... Kate ...... Edible Gardening 0 01-10-2003 09:42 PM
Fig trees...have any? Edible Gardening 1 15-06-2003 04:32 PM
Looking for Fig Trees Texas 0 12-06-2003 02:44 PM
Fig Trees Phil & Diane Martin United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 09:44 PM